How are you upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How are you upgrading?

I thought I could get away with having a nice gaming rig/something strong enough for the engineering software for my dorm and then take a cheap netbook to class to just take notes on and do basic browsing and email on. They then corrected me and told me I actually have to have a laptop instead so I can take my laptop to class to use the engineering software, not work on it back in my dorm. Therefore I need a powerful laptop instead of the powerful desktop/cheap netbook combo.

So should I drop the money on an Alienware gaming laptop or should I just try and find one that's comparable that meets the i5 and 6 gigs of RAM requirements?

Comment

I think Alienware is way out of my price range and it's hard to find one with a big screen that isn't $2000+

Would this one suffice for BF3?
      Buy HP Laptop Pavilion Intel Core i5-480M 6GB Memory 750GB HDD AMD Radeon HD 6550M 17.3" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit dv7-4280us with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

But if anyone else has any suggestions/ideas the minimum requirements are:
      Intel Core i5 Processor
      6GB DDR3 SDRAM
      500 GB Hard Drive
      10/100/1000 Network Interface
      Wireless 802.11g/n

And I'd personally like to have a Blu-ray drive.

Comment

899$ laptop isn't going to be that great. Go for the HP envy line if you want HP. For a good laptop that plays bf3 well your going to have to pay 1k+.

EDIT: Don't buy alienware, your paying for the name not the hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by DTPleeoswald
          I think Alienware is way out of my price range and it's hard to find one with a big screen that isn't $2000+
          You could have a decent sized monitor at home, and then just connect it to the laptop when you want to play.
          Just make sure that the laptops external vga port support the monitors resolution.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
            You could have a decent sized monitor at home, and then just connect it to the laptop when you want to play.
            Just make sure that the laptops external vga port support the monitors resolution.
            Not a bad idea. That way I could get one that also doubles as a TV and use it for my Xbox. I might go that route. So I can save a bit of money.

Comment

I had the same problem as you not too long ago before i started another semester at college, i needed a new gaming rig but also a laptop for when i was at class, i decided on this:

Buy TOSHIBA Laptop Qosmio Intel Core i5-2410M 4GB Memory 500GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 18.4" Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit X505-Q8100X with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

So far it's done wonders, i can play newer games like crysis 2 perfectly fine. Now i'm not saying that it's going to run battlefield 3 perfectly once it arrives, probably more towards the medium/low range to be honest (perhaps some high settings, i'll have to tweak it haha) but it will still run the game and you'll be able to have a laptop for college.

If you can afford a little more, this version has an i7 and 2 more gigs of RAM:

Buy TOSHIBA Laptop Qosmio Intel Core i7-2630QM 6GB Memory 640GB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 18.4" X505-Q8102X with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

I'm very pleased with my Toshiba gaming laptop though, hasn't failed me yet.

Comment

I was messing around on hp.com today. Here's what I came up with and it's around $1400 (pretty much my price limit if I'm getting an extra monitor)

Find a great collection of Laptops, Printers, Desktop Computers and more at HP. Enjoy Low Prices and Free Shipping when you buy now online.

I don't know a whole lot about gfx cards to be honest so can anyone tell me if this particular one would run BF3 well. I sent it to my uncle and he said I should look to see if I could find one with a better gfx card and he's a computer guru.

Comment

I've finally sorted my computer issue, so it looks like i can wait till the Sandy Bridge-E is out before i need to upgrade.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Hopefully I won't need anything more than a video card. Since BF3 is pretty much the only modern PC game I plan on buying in the near future (as I just found out first-hand yesterday that The Witcher 2 runs just fine on high on my system :thumbsup: ) I can't justify spending a king's ransom to play just one game. I have a lowly GTX285 right now so with luck a new card will have it running well.

That's assuming the game ends up being worth buying. We'll find out soon enough I guess. I'm flying down to SoCal for business on Monday...you think they'd let a lowly pleb like me sneak into E3??

Comment

I think my rig is fine for now.

AMD Phenom II 965 stock
                      6950 XFX stock
                      4 GB DDR3.

Yup think I am good.

Comment

Just got my i7 930. Need the mobo, power supply, ram (going 8gb of ddr3. Current setup only has... 2gb of ddr2...) and a new grapics card. Its so sad to see my i7 stuck in its box... motionless...

Comment

Before anyone starts spamming BF3 minimum specs, the ones circulating right now are fake.
                          sorry but the #bf3 system requirements that some blogs posted are FAKE, we haven't announced anything yet

"Crunch's First Officer"
                          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

i7 2600k
                            8gb ddr3 ram
                            And the GPU still deciding gtx570 or higher

Comment

Hi Guys!

Well, back to Karkand i guess

But to this i also need an upgrade. My rig has a few years and my last upgrade was a 8800gts.

I have an asus m2n sli deluxe so after some reading im thinking in these parts:

AMD Phenom II X4 3,2 955
                              Radeon HD6950 2GB
                              8GB DDR2 800

So i question the experts: can i go back to Karkand?

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Comment

My system is mid range and can play BC2 on max, so i am assuming it can play BF3 on medium at least

Comment

Working...
                                X