No announcement yet.

How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: How should Jets and AA be done in BF3?

Seems slow in the pilots seat but trust me when they zoom past you its fast.No hes never played bf2 :/

Comment

I'm not talking about realism so much as proportion really. I guess it's hard for me to visualize never having played BF2, but I still don't feel sold that they're balanced well with other vehicles and infantry.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
        I'm not talking about realism so much as proportion really. I guess it's hard for me to visualize never having played BF2, but I still don't feel sold that they're balanced well with other vehicles and infantry.
        Well when you read this thread, composed of mostly ground pounders saying nerf jets in one way or another, I'm sure you'll think that way.

Comment

I dont consider myself a ground pounder as I flew jets a lot, a lot. I want to make clear, in case some think that I want the jets nerfed, I dont. I want AA to work and be effective.

And dont bother telling me that all you had to do was hide in a bush and hop on the AA after the jet passed, fired the missles, then run to a tank for when the jet returns so that the tank gets destroyed instead of you because you bailed it just in time.

That was a work around the community did to survive. That and I/O, which wasnt that much fun in battlefield.

Crunch
          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
            And dont bother telling me that all you had to do was hide in a bush and hop on the AA after the jet passed, fired the missles, then run to a tank for when the jet returns so that the tank gets destroyed instead of you because you bailed it just in time.

That was a work around the community did to survive.
            That was the only way to avoid the box coming up on the pilot's HUD. I don't think it should've came up no matter what, and that only vehicles which give off heat should display boxes, but that wasn't the case. I don't quite get the tank part though. If I were to have been locked on by any AA and survived, I would've came back for the AA, even if it was empty.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
              That was the only way to avoid the box coming up on the pilot's HUD. I don't think it should've came up no matter what, and that only vehicles which give off heat should display boxes, but that wasn't the case. I don't quite get the tank part though. If I were to have been locked on by any AA and survived, I would've came back for the AA, even if it was empty.
              Yeah, it shouldnt be a free warning system. When I flew thats exactly what I did. Even if I didnt get the guy trying to lock onto me, I took out the AA. The slow respawn time of it allowed me to continue my missions (Operation QQ) a little longer before I have to worry about it again.

Crunch

Comment

I thought of another interesting thing for jets.

With the loadout in BC2 type thing, allow to have different loads on the jets. Like if you want to only engage ground forces, you could have extra bombs at the expense of having no missiles and vice versa.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d
                  I thought of another interesting thing for jets.

With the loadout in BC2 type thing, allow to have different loads on the jets. Like if you want to only engage ground forces, you could have extra bombs at the expense of having no missiles and vice versa.
                  I always wanted my BF to go in the more technical direction like Arma but still retain the easy simple controls, So custom everything would be awesome.I think we all have to be very carefull in BF talking about vehicle perks tho(cough release the dogs).

Comment

Thats a pretty good idea Spik3d. That could make things different when flying.

Of course I also liked the ejection seat and that didnt go over well

Crunch

Comment

Well somehow it would drastically change the golden gameplay of BF2...

Comment

yeh that would be cool, but it should only be something like different weapon loadouts

I don't want them to totally gimp aircraft and make it so you have to use a spec just to have flares lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
                          yeh that would be cool, but it should only be something like different weapon loadouts

I don't want them to totally gimp aircraft and make it so you have to use a spec just to have flares lol
                          Ohoh, that may be the case though. It worked well in BC2 with the helicopters.

It may NOT be the case either, but its not impossible.

Crunch

Comment

I dunno, I mean in BC2 its pretty stupid since on most maps you HAVE to use the countermeasures mod, or you just get annihilated by some noobs with the tracer and their precious CG

bigger maps you typically have more space and options, but theres only one that you can really do that with freedom and thats atacama lol

I just hope the helis etc have a bit more defensive options especially if the AA is deadly

Comment

Pay attention to what Redfield says; we "just" had a titanic debate on this very same topic and we agreed to disagree; but mainly we agreed that the default AA solution in BF2 doesn't work because the jet has too many advantages.

BF2142 and now BC2 have shown that you can retain the maneurability of the air assets, and a skilled pilot will adapt to the new counter measures implemented; BF2 AA just needed a faster, more reliable lock on and more range than the Jet.

The jets in BF2 were unrealistic not at top speeds/altitude, but at the lowest speed and altitude. There was never real danger about flying close to the ground and slowly; something no real pilot would ever attempt to do, specially on a supersonic fighter.

If you choose to support the realism card; be prepared to put up or shut up; realism not only means the maneurability; but also th ephsycis, physics that BF2 crapped all over. Put in a minimum speed before stalling (hint: it's not under 100 Mph) reduce the range at wich you can reliably hit with the Vulcan cannon; this range should always be shorter than the maximum range of AA.

Here is a little fun fact: portable AA is the bane of real world aircraft for one reason - It's effectively untraceable and can be hid pretty much everywhere, unlike manned AA tanks or AA guns. Real world airforce fears AA as it shuts down the air superiority. If a single player can turn the tide for their team with a plane; then the other side should be equally able to shut down that plane with a single guy. Not a free kill, but a lockdown until either threat is removed. Just like the AA guy can be taken down by some other infantry and has to rely on his team to cover for him while he deals with air assets; the pilot should rely on his team to cover for him and clear any an all AA users.

That was the balance reached in BF2142 and BC2; neither side has a superior force unless skill is vastly superior in one side. Air assets feel underpowered in BC2 since there are many more options for the groundpounders, just like there are in real life.

Like I said before; even tough I respect the modding community, I feel a game should be playable out of the box without resorting to see what the modding community can come up with to balance a game out.

BF2 air problem was compounded of two factors: substandard, difficult to use and defend AA, and godly mobility and manuerability of the air assets (there is some skill involved, as it requires playing around a bit; but it didn't help you could bomb anything from either half a map away, or right on their face, while coming out of a spiraling 90° turn)
                              the fact is, you can keep the planes as they are, even retaining their laws of physics overcoming BS, but we need beefier more reliable AA and see if they are really as good pilots as they say they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X