Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Choppers are made of n000b.....so how do I activate the parachutes.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Choppers are made of n000b.....so how do I activate the parachutes.

the chopper is quite deadly but you have to retreat and repair a lot

its all about the copilot though, the autocannon tears through infantry, damages armour, 1-2 bursts of it will destroy the enemy chopper as well

the pilot missiles are very weak, like 2142 gunship weak but funnily enough they can be effective if you lob them at a flag at range, I have noticed they cause a lot of tank drivers to panic as well, they do decent damage to armour though if you are accurate, will still need a few salvos

As for vulnerabilities, the steering etc can feel a bit (not sure how to explain it) but stiff, its not like the "do a barrel roll" helicopters in BF2 etc; its a lot more stable even when you push to the extreme movement range

If you fly low in the wrong place, typically you will get hit by a missile and thats the end of you, there are some keen tank gunners also and that will be the end of you, on maps like Atacama there is stationary AA emplacements that while also damaging you badly shove the chopper when they hit so its very easy to lose control and faceplant the floor. Most people though will open up on the chopper with everything they have, you have snipers firing at them, machine guns on tanks (which can be very deadly if you can keep the heli in view) and sometimes the UAV might show up for a cheeky pass; I've destroyed a few choppers with the missile and the MG on the side.

I always play with friends of mine on TS and we were talking about it the other day, I almost always fly the Apache and my friend guns, he of course gets a ****load of kills, I might get a few, just to mop up after him or pick off some lone guy he doesn't see but its all about the copilot autogun. My friend typically players engi so when we get damaged which is more or less after each pass we land, repair and repeat.

We agreed that the secondary fire for the copilot wasn't that useful, the dart can be handy at times but its hard to judge if your team has the structure to make use of them, still, suppose he gets tracer plant points lol

edit: oh and Frosty, do you mean Atacama? Theres only a UAV on Arica

Comment

I jumped in and did a little gunning last night and it was a good experience. I wasn't aware that there were no TV missles in the game - but figured it out quickly enough. The chain gun is much more realistic in its damage than the pea shooter in BF2 and 2142.

I think it's kind of funny that the chopper whores seem to expect that DICE should cater to them in every single release - that there should be this elite group of pilots/gunners on the planet that can do whatever they want from game release to game release.

To me, the choppers are much more realistic and true to life than the BF2 flying battleships.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
        We agreed that the secondary fire for the copilot wasn't that useful, the dart can be handy at times but its hard to judge if your team has the structure to make use of them, still, suppose he gets tracer plant points lol
        I don't think the chopper tracer works with the Engineer launchers, it is intended for the Pilots secondary fire.
        Or is the guided missile on the copper able to lock-on to standard darts too?

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
          I don't think the chopper tracer works with the Engineer launchers, it is intended for the Pilots secondary fire.
          Or is the guided missile on the copper able to lock-on to standard darts too?
          So there is some kind of TV missle? Am I understanding your comment to mean that the pilot is responsible for launching the homing dart and then the gunner fires the missle?

Comment

Originally posted by Rafterman
            So there is some kind of TV missle? Am I understanding your comment to mean that the pilot is responsible for launching the homing dart and then the gunner fires the missle?
            The other way round, the dart fires from the gunners cannon.
            I dont know if you both need the additional firepower unlock for this to work. It is supposed to be shared according to DICE, but...

Comment

I'm glad. Not that i like vehicles being clunky or otherwise impaired but helicopters and their fixed wing cousins were woefully overpowered in battlefield 2, there was and is no viable counter apart from "another air vehicle". And yes, i was one of those fags camping the sharqi tv station with a vodnik to keep the heli down or keep the mec one from circlejerking. It was just tiresome really. That and karkand/jalalabad humping made me lose interest.

So now they have a support role, much like all the other vehicles, and it's fine. Tanks, heli's, apc's are no longer solo/duo pwnmobiles that can own everything provided they are 1337. Not unless they got support from friendlies. I really do like it, providing a stable point from which me and the gunners can suppress the enemy. No more rolling around the countryside like a thing possessed as if i were driving an atv.

BC2 is no BF3, but i hope BF3 takes a page from it. Keep things balanced, infantry stingers in BF3 and i'll try your tv missile/j10 thing again.

Comment

Originally posted by =MNKY=Frosty
                I really think the choppers in BC2 are pretty poor, not in a sense of balance, but in a sense of them being able to dominate the battlefield.

In BF2 the choppers were amazing, and probably overpoweredNo, all air was overpowered, it didn't help AA was next to useless. A skilled pilot with a skilled gunner (tv whore) pretty much raped ****. Now a skilled gunner and a skilled pilot are much less likely to dominate the battlefield, because A) They can't take out vehicles in one hit. B) The chopper has a limit to how high it can fly...

On Port Valdez I think they got the limit right, you can fly high enough to be hard to hit, but nothing more. If somebody really wants you down, a combo of AA/Tank Gunner/AT4 will eventually get a chopper down. But on maps like Arica Harbor the choppers can't fly above about 200 bloody feet, so you are always prone to fire from all sorts of weapons that take down choppers.

Also, does anyone else think the AA is massively powerful now? On Arica Harbor, as long as you don't sit in it 24/7, you just simply hop in the AA in the middle of the map that can see to each end of the map, put two bursts into the chopper, and it's dead Hard to pull off in pubs, but this is why you want a copilot that has the enhanced armor spec, or at the very least, the fast reload spec, and barring everything else, the extra damage spec with you on alt fire; now dedicated pilots for armor and air have to ... you know, DEDICATE to it, sacrificing on foot firepower; also, recon for spotting tanks and AA gunners are needed, I think people are missing the fact they were nearly untouchable, not that the vehicles themselves are not fun. Now you need your other 12 to 14 guys to support you, and you support them and I fail to see why this is wrong.

At least on Arica Harbor they should raise the high limit you can fly to, to give choppers for freedom in the air.

Comment

Originally posted by Vreki
                  The other way round, the dart fires from the gunners cannon.
                  I dont know if you both need the additional firepower unlock for this to work. It is supposed to be shared according to DICE, but...
                  Thanks. Score 1 for DICE's awesome instruction manual.

Comment

Originally posted by The 13th Raptor
                    I'm glad. Not that i like vehicles being clunky or otherwise impaired but helicopters and their fixed wing cousins were woefully overpowered in battlefield 2, there was and is no viable counter apart from "another air vehicle". And yes, i was one of those fags camping the sharqi tv station with a vodnik to keep the heli down or keep the mec one from circlejerking. It was just tiresome really. That and karkand/jalalabad humping made me lose interest.

So now they have a support role, much like all the other vehicles, and it's fine. Tanks, heli's, apc's are no longer solo/duo pwnmobiles that can own everything provided they are 1337. Not unless they got support from friendlies. I really do like it, providing a stable point from which me and the gunners can suppress the enemy. No more rolling around the countryside like a thing possessed as if i were driving an atv.

BC2 is no BF3, but i hope BF3 takes a page from it. Keep things balanced, infantry stingers in BF3 and i'll try your tv missile/j10 thing again.
                    finally someone with some sense. :thumbsup:

Comment

I always have the alt fire mod, but pilot only gets missiles (unless I missed that he had another weapon with that mod?)

not sure if the tracer is meant for the pilots missiles either, I shall have to investigate this, it would be awesome if this was true, swoop in, tag the armour then let rip from a far

Comment

Just to add, I'm fairly confident people will remain unhappy with the way helicopters are unless they are made fast and maneuverable enough to avoid any and all ground fire that can possibly seriously harm them. Spoiled they are!

Comment

Are you mad that you cant do barrel rolls? I have flown many hours in both fixed wing and choppers in BF2. The major difference i see between the two are in the turning. You could turn on a dime in BF2, where in BC2 the inertia is greater, making the BC2 chopper feel somewhat heavier while turning. Another difference would be the damage the BC2 chopper can take vs the choppers in BF2. They seem more vulnerable compared to its older brother, which is better for the overall picture of the game. Soon enough people will master this beast like they did in BF2, and it will have to be toned down. If i were you, id do less talking/complaining about it, and get more practice in with flying. I have seen pilots already that are outstanding, and wouldnt die for the entire round.

Also, parachute is the bunny hop button.

Comment

Originally posted by MatTheCat
                            Oh yeah...like I so totalllly did like so like fail in a so like wanky american high school like soooo voice doooooooooooooooooooood.
                            It's just that you seem to have played BC2 choppers enough to give a definitive review of them, yet you couldn't even figure out the parachute button on your own.

I found that rather amusing.

---------- Post added at 10:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

Originally posted by The 13th Raptor
                            Just to add, I'm fairly confident people will remain unhappy with the way helicopters are unless they are made fast and maneuverable enough to avoid any and all ground fire that can possibly seriously harm them. Spoiled they are!
                            So you want choppers to be EASIER to maneuver so you don't have to practice and work to stay in the air?

I thought this thread was about how they're "made of n000b."

Comment

Originally posted by vanilla
                              See it as positive, anyone can fly now. Ain't that great? I like it.
                              Haha. That's good.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
                                So you want choppers to be EASIER to maneuver so you don't have to practice and work to stay in the air?

I thought this thread was about how they're "made of n000b."
                                No. I'm glad with the way they are now. BC2 doesn't have anything on BF2 when it comes to infantry/mounted AA capability, but due to their new found vulnerability and inability to duck behind cover as quick when .50's start hitting they are more balanced... For now, god knows how good those 23/7 pilots will get. :P

Comment

Working...
                                X