Combat Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Knife

Now i understand a lot of people are fine with the knife after we seem to have inherited the (imo) stupidly ridiculous CoD way of knifing.

However is this really what we want in a bf game? I remember back in BF2 and 2142 when collecting dogtags used to have a thrill about it, running up behind someone with your knife feeling very exposed at the same time was a massive rush. However this has been completely taken away in BC2.

I know this ISNT BF2 or 2142 so dont get those stupid arguments going i just feel that once again we have been left with a lack of CQC in this game. It seems if you get close to anyone you just hit the win key and everything is fine and another dogtag under your belt.

What are peoples opinions? Oh and please try and keep the blocks of text arguments out of this one, thanks

Re: Combat Knife

While I don't like the current system I understand why it is there (Bad Company and all)

I prefer the other system of having to select the knife (funnily enough I prefer the BC2 method for nades), because like you said it made it much more interesting and had a lot more tension and risk to it, it was much more of an achievement usually to stab someone rather than just hit the melee button

and half the time in BC2 it can be pretty dodge anyway, I get a lot of noobs trying to stab me from about 5 feet away lol

Comment

I agree with the grenade option aswell, having a key for it is much better.

But yes as i said, knifing in previous games has had a sense of achievement and risk to it. Finishing the day with another 15-20 dogtags under your belt was a gratifying feeling however now its no different than getting 15-20 rifle kills. There is just no satisfaction in it.

Comment

Yup, more risk and take more skill to do it in others BF, and knife duels were funny. On BC2 I almost don't even aim sometimes, just press the button and bam, dogtag, even though the guy were firing on me with a shotgun.

Comment

I think it works ok. The firefights becomes way to random when people get too close, with jumping and spraying all over the place.
          It may have been a bit more "realistic" if you hit them in the face with the rifle-but, but the idea is the same.

The old knife was more for trophy-hunting. I guess they could combine it, with a real melee action for surprise encounters, and a knife-weapon for collecting dogtags.

Comment

Old method of actually selecting the knife is far superior to what we have now.

However, BC2 is not BF3. If BF3 has this tomfoolery, then DICE and I will have problems. However, I'm willing to accept BC2 as a polished console port and forgive this and other small missteps while allowing it to be a time-filler while I wait for BF3, the true successor to the BF2/2142 throne.

Comment

I approve this message. (:

Previously there was the decision making when you run out of ammo whether to reload or take out the knife, now all anyone does is hit the knife button.

Comment

The old method had no practical use but to make you feel better about knifing. Id rather resort to the knife because I need it, not because "its an awesome excuse to teabag the mothercracker!".

Comment

It's a shame it has to have auto-aim and the same silly lunge as in the CoD series. Turns it too much into a win button that you press when an enemy happens to be in your general vicinity.

Comment

Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
                    While I don't like the current system I understand why it is there (Bad Company and all)

I prefer the other system of having to select the knife (funnily enough I prefer the BC2 method for nades), because like you said it made it much more interesting and had a lot more tension and risk to it, it was much more of an achievement usually to stab someone rather than just hit the melee button

and half the time in BC2 it can be pretty dodge anyway, I get a lot of noobs trying to stab me from about 5 feet away lol
                    I agree entirely with the sentiments expressed within this post.

+rep

Comment

after playing MW2 with its knifing with commando, i think BC2 knifing isn't too bad. MW2 can just get downright ridiculous, especially those who run around and can get insane # of kills just knifing. i don't think the range is overpowered like MW2. i think BC2 knifing is more or less okay. oh and i don't miss the "klank-klank" knife hits from 2142 that dealt no damage. :laugh:

grenade i do like having a dedicated key.

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                        . oh and i don't miss the "klank-klank" knife hits from 2142 that dealt no damage. :laugh:
                        Oh god that was awful.

Comment

Originally posted by iQue
                          It's a shame it has to have auto-aim and the same silly lunge as in the CoD series. Turns it too much into a win button that you press when an enemy happens to be in your general vicinity.
                          True, but then you can always disable autoaim and make it reliant more on skill, Promod in COD4 had it down pretty well.

Comment

I liked when you had to equip your knife, it was challenging, this way seems too easy. Might be good to have both options dunno tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by idontcare
                              I liked when you had to equip your knife, it was challenging, this way seems too easy. Might be good to have both options dunno tbh.
                              Now that I think back to my BF2142 playing days, equipping the knife was extremely easy. It takes less than a second to hit "1" when sneaking up on someone. I had my primary weapon always mapped to a mouse button so it was easy to switch right back from anything else I was using (or between single/full-auto).

Of course, I was never one of those guys who tried to get into big 1v1 knife fights needlessly. If a guy is running at you with his knife, just shoot him before he can get close. :wee:

Comment

Working...
                              X