Community views on L4D vs CoD series.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community views on L4D vs CoD series.

So, a lot of people were complaining, prior to the release of L4D2 that they thought it was ridiculous that Valve was releasing a sequel so soon, for a plethora of reasons.

Why didn't that sort of criticism crop up with the Call of Duty series? There have been 3 games released in a little over 2 years time.

The different perceptions about the two series is quite interesting to ponder.

Re: Community views on L4D vs CoD series.

Because L4D2 looked so bloody similar to L4D1.

CoD on the other hand had a lot, lot more features and the story was completely new.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
      Because L4D2 looked so bloody similar to L4D1.

CoD on the other hand had a lot, lot more features and the story was completely new.
      Would you really say that MW2 has a lot more features than MW1 did? Plus, it seems like the general consensus is that L4D2 has a lot more features than L4D.

Comment

Originally posted by jake_
        Would you really say that MW2 has a lot more features than MW1 did? Plus, it seems like the general consensus is that L4D2 has a lot more features than L4D.
        I would say it has more features and is newer, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
          I would say it has more features and is newer, yeah.
          But it's still basically the same game: new paint, engine modding, and better sound system would be a very nice upgrade for my car, but it's still the same car.

Obviously, there are improvements, but not much more than L4D2 has over L4D.

Comment

But that doesn't matter, it's what it looks like.

If you actually look at the both games, i'd say MW2 looks more different from CoD4 than L4D2 does from L4D.

Comment

The differnce between CoD4 and MW2 is bigger personally, but where as L4D2 is a much more refined and improved game over L4D, you could argue if that is the case with MW2

Comment

So, a lot of people were complaining, prior to the release of L4D2 that they thought it was ridiculous that Valve was releasing a sequel so soon, for a plethora of reasons.

Why didn't that sort of criticism crop up with the Call of Duty series? There have been 3 games released in a little over 2 years time.

The different perceptions about the two series is quite interesting to ponder.
                COD has 2 developers so really it is 2 years between each game.

COD4 (IW) 2007
                COD WAW (Treyarch) 2008
                MW2 (IW) 2009
                I think all of them was released in november so it would be 3 games in 3 years.

Comment

A part of the explanation might actually be that there was 3 COD games released.
                  So we got MW->WWII->MW. You cant say that WaW is just an map-pack to MW, or that MW2 is just an upgrade to WaW. So there isn't the feeling that the game brings nothing new, or should just have been DLC to the original.

L4D started to feel like a rail-shooter even in MP, so I quickly lost interest, and haven't bought L4D2. Based on the wiki entry it doesn't really seem much different. A "L4D: Alien Invasion" with a different setting in between the two zombie games could have prevented the feeling of deja vu.
                  Maybe I will have a look at L4D2 when Steam has it on sale for €10.

Comment

Both are poop.

Comment

you got to remember that really CoD never changes, it gets reskinned, its the same kind of game with a different story pasted on top

I for one can't stand it at all, but then I have hated CoD since after #2, I hate the drab gameplay, the crap story and the Team America niceties

I would look at price as well, and length of the game, replayability etc

but essentially L4D2 is sort of the same, yet I would rather play that

I'm sure throwing in another "controversial" scene at some other random location where you mow down baby elephants with a gatling gun will make MW3 sell though

Comment

L4D2 added features and made the improved the game, made it better from it's predecessor. Valve has it's own engine HL2 build from the ground up, that they use in the game.

MW2 downgraded from its predecessor, added some features but took away too much to even consider it a full game. IW modded the quake 4 engine and called it IW3.0 then they modded it a little bit more and called it IW4.0, but it doesn't change the fact that they are talentless developers. they have no ingenuity or creativity to come up with their own ideas > IW.net(XBox Live), CO-OP Natzi-Zombies(Treyarch), A lot of the kill streaks, were stolen from the mod community. I really don't mind small developers using the quake engine, but IW is a huge ****ing company with enough resources to pump out their own engine.

L4D2 is a much better sequel then MW2 IMO. Both games tho are cash cow fast buck, sequels not worth my money. I still love Valve they are awesome.

Comment

CoD is a largely story based driven game against a strictly MP 'zombie' game.

L4d, its not bad, but its not what I would call a zombie game in any real sense, its more about PVP on-line which still feels like a source game (to me). I cannot Justify pay a huge wad of cash for the same experience but with a guitar in my hand.

Same could be said of the MW2 Mp, and yes it does feel a little dry and generally unchanged from the last one, but its more of a change from MW than L4D is to L4D2.

Comment

Originally posted by [IF]1|Sgt.Pierre-GC-
                            COD has 2 developers so really it is 2 years between each game.

COD4 (IW) 2007
                            COD WAW (Treyarch) 2008
                            MW2 (IW) 2009
                            I think all of them was released in november so it would be 3 games in 3 years.
                            Originally posted by MrChris_CJ
                            you got to remember that really CoD never changes, it gets reskinned, its the same kind of game with a different story pasted on top
                            This.

The CoD games have different settings and weapons, but the gameplay is nearly identical in each one. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference of developers between MW1/2 and WaW from merely playing it.

So there's more drastic of a change in setting, but that's hardly an entirely new and innovative game.

Originally posted by [GCA]Tim270
                            but its more of a change from MW than L4D is to L4D2.
                            Have you played either both L4D games?

Comment

Have you played either both L4D games?
                              Yes. I would reiterate your own point about them being identical. So they added a new twist on the game-play. It still does not fundamentally change or rather enhance the game. There is little progression between L4D - L4D2. Meanwhile MW2 obviously has not done a lot either, however, a new SP story is key to the progression of the game and thus can only enhance the MP with more customisation, maps etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X