Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DICE are "Dedicated to our PC Players!"

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
    Ranger, there might have been some miscommunication. Im saying that CAPCOMs fans are fickle just the way every other "hardcore fan" is, that aslong as it has the devs logo plastered over something, its all good, its all great.
    But you have to admit, they are a prime example of how DLC should not be done.

Comment

Absolutely. That was the reason why I mentioned them. The straight lies to the community were epic, and the following brownnosing was simply disgusting.

Not to mention the fact that RE5 multiplayer was just laughable.

Comment

Once again. Im expecting new and free content from the mods and I expect the developer to give me all chances and options to enjoy that. Noones talking about expecting free additional content from the devs. What we were discussing was whether or not paying for certain content is justified, pricewise. Alex says 10 quid for both boosters was a fair price. Im saying its not, when compared to what the community has given and the quality of said boosterpacks. Competitions to allow various community maps to be added into patches, or break the map limitation from ranked system would have been a much, much better option.
        I suppose it's up to the community as a whole to decide whether the price is justified or not through their wallets. Everyone is going to have a different idea of value, and there's never going to be perfect price that will please everyone.

Comment

DICE is a business, the community is not.

£10 for 2 booster packs was a great deal

Comment

woot, can not wait for this game...

Comment

Originally posted by Wizrdwarts
              I suppose it's up to the community as a whole to decide whether the price is justified or not through their wallets. Everyone is going to have a different idea of value, and there's never going to be perfect price that will please everyone.
              The community did vote with their wallets. When was the last boosterpack in BF franchise released? And how popular were BF2-s boosterpacks before they were given away for free? I vaguely remember the complaints about how theres not enough people on the servers.

People recognize quality and effort on PCs, and they know what a DLC is. Which is why Special Forces sold so well. It was an expansion pack which truly expanded the game

Comment

The community did vote with their wallets. When was the last boosterpack in BF franchise released? And how popular were BF2-s boosterpacks before they were given away for free? I vaguely remember the complaints about how theres not enough people on the servers.
                I wouldnn't necessarily say that's because not enough people bought them. I mean, me and some of my friends had them, yet since we couldn't find a busy server, we didn't play. I bet a lot of people did the same, couldn't find a busy server so didn't play.

It's a catch 22, people don't play because it's not busy, yet it could be busy if people did play! You're pretty cheap Chris if you can't fork out £10 or whatever they use in Estonia.

Also, there is point in bringing the whole "but look what the community" had done. The community are made up of fans and are not a business. Businesses make money and so long as they keep people like me happy to buy what they are selling, nothing changes

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                  I wouldnn't necessarily say that's because not enough people bought them. I mean, me and some of my friends had them, yet since we couldn't find a busy server, we didn't play. I bet a lot of people did the same, couldn't find a busy server so didn't play.
                  Because people wouldnt want to pay for something which they know is already available for free at a much higher quality. Also, your statement is fundamentally wrong because at the beginning, there were more than enough servers filled, but the player numbers dropped very fast. The inbalance between jets was pretty damn severe and the new aerial vehicles were (are) not fun to use and feel as if an amateur has coded them. The only ones who benefitted from selling booster packs, were DICEA themselves, not the community.

It's a catch 22, people don't play because it's not busy, yet it could be busy if people did play! You're pretty cheap Chris if you can't fork out £10 or whatever they use in Estonia.
                  Its not a matter of principles nor is it a matter of money. But at the time the booster packs hit the scene, I was too busy playing POE2, a completely fixed Battlefield experience with incredible balance, ton of maps and which made every aspect of BF2 perfect in BF2-s terms. So, paying 10 quid for 6 maps, 3 new vehicles and only a few guns which arent available for the main game? Or download a popular (at the time) mod which has dozens of new maps, fixed all aspect combat and absolutely friggin fun infantry combat?

On its own, 10 pounds is a really good deal, but when put in perspective, you dont get much value for that money. Which is why not as many as expected bothered with them. So, no. Its not a "catch 22". Its "why pay for something which you get for free and is much better?".

Like I said, its about content and value for the buck. See Special Forces. It sold well, its still played and a lot of people actually prefer it over vBF2.

Also, there is point in bringing the whole "but look what the community" had done. The community are made up of fans and are not a business. Businesses make money and so long as they keep people like me happy to buy what they are selling, nothing changes
                  For a gamer, it shouldnt matter where the goods come from, if its free, made by the community and happens to be superior to the one made by the company, then there really is no choice in the matter. Like I said, if DICE would have made the ranking system to allow custom maps into the mix and introduced an autodownloader (like in COD4), it would have all been incredible. A much better solution to the community. But instead, they went the DLC way, and we saw it through and "voted with the wallets".

50 cents to a pound for a single map and a better digital distribution system would have done miracles for DICE here.

Comment

And what happened to mods then? I never really played them apart from FH2 and a bit of PR. Never seemed to appeal to me and the lack of effective stats/ranking system was a a bit of a turn off.

Thing is, most BF players don't play mods. It's such a mainstream market, that only those really into it (such as on the forums) even know that mods exist. I can't be bothered to debate anymore as I know there shall be no victor, we can agree to disagree.

Basically, I am happy to pay for booster packs and I know that a lot of others will. Until that changes, don't expect much else.

Comment

Well, the thing is, Point of Existence 2 had 2500+ players playing at any given time until one of DICEs patches royally screwed it up. Mods were a big thing 3 years ago. Now only PR remains and 500+ people are playing it at any given time.

Comment

Well, the thing is, Point of Existence 2 had 2500+ players playing at any given time until one of DICEs patches royally screwed it up.
                        I'm not sure I believe that. Even if it was true, i'm not sure it was DICE's patch that caused players to leave. But, we can prove it neither way.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                          I'm not sure I believe that. Even if it was true, i'm not sure it was DICE's patch that caused players to leave. But, we can prove it neither way.
                          You said it yourself, you werent really all that into mods. The release of POE2 was huge, it also had the most popular mod subforum, even surpassing Project Reality´s. You remember back when most popular mods had their own subforum under mods category?

With one of the patches, something happened. I dont remember the details, but it had something to do with servers not showing in the server browser or something. Also, the patch came out just a little after POE2 was released, with some new content and everyone who was bored of BF2 and played POE2 went back, amusingly back to Karkand. Like I said, it happened a long time ago and I dont remember the details anymore, but some POE2 veterans should probably know a lot more. If I get a chance, Ill ask around.

[EDIT] It wasnt just POE2 that got hit with that "mysterious patch", haha

Comment

Maybe it was the Jalalabad patch?

Comment

I really cant say as it was way, way back. I did read a little about it on POE2 forums, but from the little information I found, it looks as if two things happened at once when the patch was released, shortly after POE2 was released.

BF2142 was released
                              The patch made it impossible to play the mods, so everyone had to release some patches for the mods.

Comment

they're so dedicated that they decided to keep the "no prone" from the consoles to PC. :laugh:

of course IW won't be doing the same thing DICE did by blogging everywhere and bragging their games will have prone.

Comment

Working...
                                X