DICE are "Dedicated to our PC Players!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DICE are "Dedicated to our PC Players!"

A new blog has been posted over at the Battlefield Blog site with DICE explaining a little more about the PC side of Bad Company 2 and why they have decided to stick with dedicated servers.

A lot of buzz has been floating around the internet lately about dedicated servers and we wanted to make sure our all our players have the best understanding of how Battlefield will be played on the PC. Since Battlefield 1942 DICE has used dedicated servers for all platforms. This formula has worked well, and still works well, for us and for the gaming community. We have stayed true to this practice and will continue this tradition into the upcoming title Battlefield Bad Company 2.

Other games use player-hosted or 'peer to peer' solutions, often resulting in a "host with the most" situation; where the player hosting the match has an advantage over other players connected to their game. Everyone else is dependent on the host's internet connection and if they don't have a great connection neither will you regardless how great of an internet you have. Also, unless server migration is implemented the game ends when that hosting player quits the game forcing you to find another player-host or start your own. With dedicated servers everyone gets non-stop action with no connection penalties based on some other player and their internet. This makes dedicated servers the best solution for online PC gaming hands down! So rest assured PC players, Battlefield will stay true to its roots offering dedicated servers to all its players and continue the tradition of the ultimate FPS gaming experience!

Dedicated Server FAQ for Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC

Will there be an option to have my own dedicated server? Yes, DICE will have trusted partners with datacenters worldwide that you'll be able to rent a dedicated server from ensuring you always have a quality server in your region.

How much will it cost to rent a dedicated server for Battlefield Bad Company 2? Because these are offered by the trusted partners we can't answer that, but they will be priced fairly according to your market.

Can I control my server with remote admin tools? Yes, you will have the ability manage your server via remote admin tools allowing you to manage your server, your way.

Is there the option to give my server a custom name? Yes, you'll be able to name your server what you like.

Will I be able to make a reserve list for my server? Yes, you will be able to reserve a limited amount of space on your server when public for whom ever you like.

Am I able to host a private match? Yes, you will be able to password protect your server.

Is there a client server browser to view server lists? Yes, clients on the PC will have a full server's browser to select the server they'd like to play on.

Can I earn ranks and rewards on my rented server? Yes! You will be able to run your server as Ranked allowing you to still earn unlocks, rewards, and host a server for all to enjoy.

Are PC clients going to be match made to servers? No, PC clients will use their server browser and filter options.

Will you have an anti-cheat requirement? Yes, all dedicated servers and clients on PC will be required to have the anti-cheat software running at all times.

//GvD

Re: DICE are "Dedicated to our PC Players!"

This game is going to be beyond epic. Words cannot describe how good this games going to be.

What's even better is BC2 is going to take MW2's PC market. Good on them.

Comment

Some how its really weird seeing DICE as the good guys and IW as the bad guys, hell has frozen over. BC2 is going to be a fun game, to bad it couldn't be out before the end of this year (same for 1943).

Comment

They're starting to milk it a little bit now, but it's good that we know where they stand in this question. GJ Dice

Comment

Originally posted by RangerXML
          Some how its really weird seeing DICE as the good guys and IW as the bad guys, hell has frozen over. BC2 is going to be a fun game, to bad it couldn't be out before the end of this year (same for 1943).
          PC Gamers have always been quite shallow and fickle.

Comment

Its not just the PC gamers. Its the core fans of the games. You wouldnt want to see what was going on in the Resident Evil community, Alex. And if you would venture to IW forums, youd see how "fickle" console players are in the sense that they would take everything from a developer aslong as it has "IW" plastered all over it.

Most of the people are fickle. Not "PC gamers" exclusively. You beat them up and they make angry faces, you give them some candy and they will come and sit in your van.

Comment

I dunno, i've seen PC and console gaming communities. They are both bitchy, but I think PC gamers win by a fair bit, mainly because they expect things for free and sometimes don't get them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex98uk
                I dunno, i've seen PC and console gaming communities. They are both bitchy, but I think PC gamers win by a fair bit, mainly because they expect things for free and sometimes don't get them.
                They want it free or it becomes free one way or another. Sure Steam has help curve this, but there are even ways to play Steam games.

Comment

when is this game supposed to come out?

Comment

So youre saying that you would "expect" to be paying for community maps or not receive any just because they come free? Or that you would pay extra to receive an option to play on dedicated servers or play on P2P networks? We expect something for free if we make it for free ourselves. Epic wanted mods for at least X360 and Microsoft shut that idea down.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
                      So youre saying that you would "expect" to be paying for community maps or not receive any just because they come free? Or that you would pay extra to receive an option to play on dedicated servers or play on P2P networks? We expect something for free if we make it for free ourselves. Epic wanted mods for at least X360 and Microsoft shut that idea down.
                      Mainly because it would need to be distributed using Microsoft's framework and resources, so Microsoft wants a piece of the pie, so to speak. (Emphasis mine)

I agree that if we make it ourselves, we should get it for free. Although, what about official patches and updates?

Comment

Patches should ALWAYS remain free. If developers didn't release broken software in the first place, they wouldn't even be needed most of the time. Granted, they aren't going to catch everything. We understand that, but we also expect them to support their products after they have our money. There's no law that says they have to provide that support for free, but if they expect us to continue buying their software they'll do it. Otherwise we'll go to someone who does.
                        And that's where people see consumers as "fickle." We support studios who support their products and crucify the ones that don't. It's capitalism at work. They like to rub capitalism in our faces when they charge $10 for three maps, but they get pissed when it goes the other way and we ditch them for someone more in touch with the desires of customers.
                        Publishers(and others) have been trying to replace quality with hype to increase demand. For many demographics it works just fine. Why spend $25 million making a better product when you can spend $25 million marketing a mediocre product? But in this age of information flow with the internet, more people are educating themselves on the products available before they part with their money. And more people are expressing their opinions online as well.

Comment

I would hardly call the BF expansions and booster packs a bad deal. They cost £5 for EF and AF...

I can spend more on a sandwich and drink in a petrol station

Comment

I would hardly call the BF expansions and booster packs a bad deal. They cost £5 for EF and AF...

I can spend more on a sandwich and drink in a petrol station
                            Yes, because every country in the world lives by UK-s lifestandards. :thumbsup:

I find it apalling and shocking that you seem defend the concept of "**** mods! Id rather pay for DLC-s!".

BF2-s booster packs, in light of all the mods released, are absolutely nothing in comparison. Let us examine the new added vehicles. I havent driven the Challenger yet, but it looks far, far worse than the one in PR mod for example. I can tell you that Eurotiger and Eurocopter are a horrid mess of coding abortion, both are done much better in POE2.

Webs, I believe that the reason why Epic wont be able to support mods over XBL is because of all the possible legal implications Microsoft is going to have to face once money taints the otherwise free content. So instead they opt for the "if we cant make money out of it, we say no" way.

Comment

So because you're willing to over pay for one thing it's perfectly acceptable to over pay for another? To each his own.

Comment

Working...
                              X