Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could ARMA 2 be the true successor to Battlefield 2?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Could ARMA 2 be the true successor to Battlefield 2?

Arma is simulation for regular people while BF2 is just FPS action for gamers.

Comment

Originally posted by n00bhaus3r
      Arma is simulation for regular people while BF2 is just FPS action for gamers.
      Here that fellows, for regular people, we're not regular people:shakehead:

:thumbsup:

I just want to set my virtual foot on a darn battlefield again, some place vast and large where people can fly freely, tanks can do their little dance and soldiers have to rely on transports:salute:

And lil old me can sit in a field a half a mile from the action and pick you guys off one by one

Comment

No silly billy. ArmA 2 will be the successor to ArmA.

Comment

And lil old me can sit in a field a half a mile from the action and pick you guys off one by one
          Damn. You are old.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis
            What about Highway Tampa with 2 players?
            IO? :laugh:

Comment

I think Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising will be closer to Battlefield than ARMA.

But I have yet to see a game do vehicles that feel as great as in Battlefield.

I hate DICE for crapping on us the PC players, but I still wish they'd make a PC exclusive, Battlefield 3.

Comment

Thats the good bit about ARMA, 1/2 mile IS that distance. Some excellent battles.

true successor to Battlefield II is Battlefield IIc 1/2 - Search for the Golden Nugget

Comment

What made Battlefield 2 enjoyable was its relativity simplicity and accessibility of using vehicles and weapons. Sure the fact that every infantry had an invisible parachute such that a Chinese pilot could steal the top-of-the-line American F-35B and bailout and parachute into a main battle tank, capture flags, and get out and revive his entire team with a one-click defibrillator in a single life wasn't quite realistic, but it was fun.

Comment

Originally posted by *FMJ*Power
                    i think operation flashpoint 2: dragon rising will appeal more to the BF2 and COD4 players as they have mentioned having a game mode that will much like BF2 in its arcade style.
                    Depending on how it actually plays, I think this is a valid point. From everything I've read so far, ArmA2 will be extremely realistic/simulation-based, which will probably frustrate most BF players. Same goes for the stock version of OF2.

But, if OF2's "arcade" mode is tweaked properly, then there's a chance that it may at least come close to what people liked in BF2, if they can simplify and speed things up enough. If that dev team is smart, they'd realize the void in the market right now and put enough work on that mode to attract BF players to their game.

Originally posted by Bird Killer
                    What made Battlefield 2 enjoyable was its relativity simplicity and accessibility of using vehicles and weapons.
                    I think that's a key point as well. BF2 was more complicated than the infantry-based shooters that came before it, but still wasn't overly realism/simulation-based, which can bog down a game and frustrate people. You could pick it up and learn it over a relatively short period of time, and it still played relatively fast.

Comment

Definately, will NOT be the successor to BF2.

I play ArmA regularly, and I must say, that if you are looking for an arcade experience, this game is not for you.

As Bird Killer says, in BF2 you could be a Chinese pilot, who bails out of a transport helo to steal an F-35 before stealing a Abrams before acting as a medic to his team.

One of ArmAs greatest problems, are the people who like to do this. They seek to turn ArmA into something its not - BF2, and there is a lot of role switching, however it is no where near as effective.

BF2 is PvP. ArmA, is largely Co-Op, and it does not handle well with PvP, especially when you consider you have a map 200sq km big, suddenly 64 players becomes 2 in Oman.

Also ArmA 2's storyline will be very deep - as far as I can see, it has been very carefully thought through.

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising's storyline is something a 10yr old could have come up with. Russians asking for USMC help - never going to happen.

Battlefield 2's storyli - oh wait...

Comment

Won't Arma2 support more than 64 players? I recall seeing ArmA servers with well over 100 slots for players to join...

I'd like to see BF2 servers holding over 100 players themselves(i know bandwidth and all that fun stuff is an issue itself) but just the idea of having 50 or more players per team going at it on some of those maps, or even have larger scale maps would be crazy.

Comment

I don't think ARMA 2 is going to be anything like BF2

Comment

i dont think future BF games will be much like BF2.

Comment

Maybe, but BC2 could be a very good game though

Comment

Originally posted by Minmaster
                                i dont think future BF games will be much like BF2.
                                I think they will. More companies have the graphics in mind rather than the gameplay. DICE can become a Leader if they have gameplay as their number 1 priority rather than graphics. I wish they would confirm BF2 so all of us could calm down and know something really great it awaiting us.

Comment

Working...
                                X