Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth buying a 360 if you have a gaming computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth buying a 360 if you have a gaming computer?

So this Christmas I was thinking of picking up a 360, or waiting until the jasper chipset comes out. But regardless of that, is a 360 worth it if you can already play all current games with your pc? I have heard that most good games on the 360 come to the PC so it isn't worth it, not to mention RROD. But on the other hand others have told me that you don't get as many crap ports with the 360 and their exclusives and other games only for consoles are pretty good.

In any case I will still play on my PC more than the 360 or whatever I decide to get.

Thanks for your help!

Note: I will be playing my 360 right next to my computer and using a similar size screen so the you can play on your couch statement isn't applicable.

Re: Is it worth buying a 360 if you have a gaming computer?

I'd say no, unless you have a lot of friends with 360s.

Mine died in Aug. with RROD (out of warranty - no plans to get it fixed or buy new atm). 1 of my friends' stopped reading discs and another friend's got RROD the week NXE came out.

I'm not sure what exclusives you have in mind, but all FPSs are severely limited without a mouse. No mods, paid DLC, and monthly fee are also minor annoyances.

Comment

Yea, that's what I'm hearing, but the other consoles look even worse for someone who enjoys more "hardcore" games, I'm loathe to say that term but I suppose it fits.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemur View Post
        So this Christmas I was thinking of picking up a 360, or waiting until the jasper chipset comes out. But regardless of that, is a 360 worth it if you can already play all current games with your pc?
        I'd say it depends on what types of games you're talking about.

FPS, RTS, RPG games are generally best played on a good gaming PC - better control, accuracy, and lots of keys for options.

Driving, Sports, Fighting, and Action/Adventure games are generally better on Consoles - they are designed with Consoles in mind (and never quite "feel" right on PC, imo), plus the controller is better suited to these types of games.

RROD is a minus on the 360, but that's mostly on the older models. Most newer ones are much more stable.

On the plus side, you won't have the compatibility issues on a Console that are sometimes an issue on PC.

Like you, I'm actually waiting for the Jasper's to come out as well. At that time, I plan to get a 360 in order to play games like Madden, NHL, StreetFighter/Mortal Kombat, and driving games. I use my PC pretty much only for FPS games, as the mouse/keyboard is a vastly superior control system.

Comment

Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
            Driving, Sports, Fighting, and Action/Adventure games are generally better on Consoles - they are designed with Consoles in mind (and never quite "feel" right on PC, imo), plus the controller is better suited to these types of games.
            Unless you buy a PC gamepad. I have a PS2 but I've never used it since I bought my precious Saitek P480 It's very well worth the buy if you like racing games, trackmania just isn't the same thing with keyboard

Comment

There are games on the PS2 that are not on PC. Same goes for 360. Buy it if you think you would enjoy enough of these games. Also, I like a controller in place of a mouse and keyboard for a lot of games, but I was born and bred on consoles so I might be biased. I say buy it if you have a chance and think you would enjoy enough games. Or you could just buy a game controller and use it for your PC games that are compatible. You could play some of your PC games with a 360 controller if you wanted to. IDK, it depends on the person deciding really.

Comment

Just make sure that at least some aspect of the 360 appeals to you in a strong way; I know friend/gaming community is often a huge decider for PC people with this question.

I would have to say it would be an enjoyable buy, but it really boils down to what you want from the console (i.e. experience, games, etc.) that you can't find on PC. If there are sufficient reasons, then you probably won't feel let down by the 360.

What will merit a $300-$500 investment?

Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by iQu'e
                  Unless you buy a PC gamepad.
                  Even with PC gamepads (I have one), I find that sports & racing games on PC just don't have the same feel as on Console. Something is lost in the translation. There's a crispness to the control mechanism that just isn't there on PC.

In addition, there's the aspect of game availability - we're seeing a number of these types of games, even on previously popular titles, only being made for Consoles and no longer for PC. So if those genres are a favourite of the user, then that will influence the buying decision as well.

Comment

I guess that's a taste thing then. I personally feel like my PC gamepad is a lot more responsive, smooth and good looking than my PS2 controllers. Not to mention the rumble is a lot better

Comment

I'd say it's good to have both PC and at least one console. Like said above, if you have friends who play on 360 more than PC, get it.

Comment

Simply, No.
                        When i play a console i forever get the feeling that the game would run with better graphics and be easier to control on my PC.
                        Only time i'm ever glad i have a 360 is when i have friends around or when i'm playing with them online which rarely happens because most of them have sold their 360s for graphic cards or CPUs lol.

Comment

In fact almost all of my friends only play on 360s. Only a few of my real life friends bother to use their computer for games.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemur View Post
                            In fact almost all of my friends only play on 360s. Only a few of my real life friends bother to use their computer for games.
                            Then:

A) Do you value your RL friends and their gaming abilities enough? lol

B) Have you played 360 enough to know why(/if) you enjoy it?

C) What games are you eyeing?

Comment

A.)Yes

B.)I did like it a fair amount, the main lack of fun was just plain not being used to the games and the controller, both remedied with time.

C.)Mainly COD:WaW and other games my friends play a lot.

I ended up buying a Pro (made sure it was a Jasper), reason being I just learned my neighbor bought a 360 for Christmas, so it pretty much sealed the deal. Because if almost all of my friends play the 360 I might as well join in the fun if I can't convert them to the PC.

Comment

Working...
                              X