Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth buying a 360 if you have a gaming computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Is it worth buying a 360 if you have a gaming computer?

Originally posted by FizZiKz View Post
    Yeah, that was one of the main reasons why I bought an XBOX in the first place. Mostly all of the people in my school own a 360, and only about 2 or 3 own a PS3. I have to agree that it does get boring.
    your school is /win.

those ps3 people are /phail.

Comment

Console's are fun if you just want to relax and lounge around whilst gaming, or shout insults to your friends whilst they're in the same room rather than over a mic.

Comment

i bought my 360 because another two of my friends had one. Now all my friends have one and we on it almost everyday. I never thought i would leave pc gaming but friends changed that real quick

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey
          If you want the Elite for the big HDD, that's one thing...but just so you know, the Xbox360 Pro (60GB HDD) has HDMI as well. About $100 cheaper. This is the one I plan on getting, as I don't think I need the bigger HDD that the Elite has.
          If I'm not mistaken, they all have an HDMI port and the capability, the only difference is the Elite version comes with the HDMI cable. Where as you'd have to buy your own for the other lower models. This is according to this:

If I'm wrong, someone correct me, but I've been trying to figure this out 100% myself since I'm interested in maybe getting a 360.

Comment

Only the new version has the HDMI. (I'm not sure if it's Jasper only, but my original 360 from forever ago doesn't have it.)

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Spawndemon View Post
              If I'm not mistaken, they all have an HDMI port and the capability
              Originally posted by CaptainKirk View Post
              Only the new version has the HDMI. (I'm not sure if it's Jasper only, but my original 360 from forever ago doesn't have it.)
              I think that's what Spawn might have meant...newer 360's, released after a certain date, have HDMI as a standard feature. I didn't want to say "all", as I hadn't checked all models, but I had been researching the 60GB "Pro" model, and various BestBuy/FutureShop websites here listed them as having HDMI. Looking at it a bit more now, the newer "Arcade" models (no HDD) also now have HDMI as standard.

The only thing to be aware of is that there are almost undoubtedly some older model 360's floating around out there, as stores try to get rid of old stock...so I'd advise anyone to be sure to check the specs thoroughly before buying, just in case.

The one thing that's annoying, is that the small window in the box that lets you see some of the key identifying labels on the 360 seems to have been designed in such a way (and/or the 360's are packed in such a way) as to make seeing the key info kind of difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft has done this on purpose, again to increase the odds of clearing out old stock. Looking around these last couple of days, I would either have to use my finger to break off more of the cardboard on the Left side of the window (which I'm sure stores would just love) or ask stores to remove the security device so that the box could be opened. I didn't bother with either, since I'm fairly sure that the Jaspers haven't arrived in this area yet, but it's something I will need to see and be assured of before I make my eventual purchase.

Comment

360s without HDMI ports haven't been sold for over 6 months. Any 60GB model will have HDMI and 99% of new 20GB bought from retail will have HDMI ports. Easiest way is to check the side of the box for the nice big HDMI logo Assuming you guys get the same boxes as us that is.

Comment

I would definitely wait around for a Jasper if purchasing now.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainKirk View Post
                    I would definitely wait around for a Jasper if purchasing now.
                    That's what I'm doing. I went out a couple days ago to a few stores to see if they had any 60GB Pro Jaspers in stock, but they didn't have any.

I don't think they're being sold in Canada yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomeis View Post
                      I don't think they're being sold in Canada yet.
                      That's kind of my thought as well. Out here in BC at least, both BestBuy and Futureshop have had big discounts on "Holiday" versions of the 360 Pro and Elite. $40-$80 off, plus 2-4 free games. If I had to guess, I'd say they're really making a push to sell off the existing "old" stock, before getting the new stuff in - hopefully the Jaspers will be coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Whiskey View Post
                        That's kind of my thought as well. Out here in BC at least, both BestBuy and Futureshop have had big discounts on "Holiday" versions of the 360 Pro and Elite. $40-$80 off, plus 2-4 free games. If I had to guess, I'd say they're really making a push to sell off the existing "old" stock, before getting the new stuff in - hopefully the Jaspers will be coming soon.
                        That's exactly what I was thinking too. We went in hoping the $250 holiday bundle would be Jasper, but that wasn't the case. From what I gathered, the holiday bundle xboxes aren't special or anything like that. They're just normal xbox pro with the 2 games included, so they weren't specifically made for the holiday bundle. When I was checking them for the 12.1amp label I would also check the manufacture dates and most of them were from September, some from June, and the most recent one I saw was from October 11.

It was funny because at Futureshop and Best buy the majority of them had the little label part already pushed back a bit which showed others have already checked for the 12.1amp label

It would have been nice if they started the Jaspers with the holiday bundles. Hopefully by the end of January they'll have some in stock.

Comment

Oh crap. from reading all the info about the chip type i just found out the 360 i have had for just under a year- is a zephyr. i just hope that if it does die it dies before the warranty expires

Comment

It's not a huge deal, because some people's 360's have been going strong since release it just hits at random it seems.

Comment

oh, ok. its just probably something over-hyped by the PS3 fanboys who have a hate for us for some strange reason...

Comment

There were legit, significant problems with many 360's early on, no question about it. However, just like with a lot of PC tech support questions we see on forums, from what I've read, a lot of problems were also due to user-error.

Despite people often saying "I didn't do anything!", they would have their consoles in hot environments, or have it running for days, or have it positioned for poor air-flow, or were moving it around a lot/shaking it. I'd guess that this was especially the case in households with a lot of kids, or with people who just didn't take good care of the equipment.

The result was that more problems occurred, and the overall health of the 360 appeared to be a bigger problem than it actually was. As Lemur said, I've also seen lots of posts by people who have been running their original 360 since the beginning with no problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X