Just bought..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought..

Although I had COD4 for the X360, I thought I'd get it for the PC because FPS games are just much better on PC. Anyway, just wanted to know if you guys have any advice, tips, etc. for new players.

I have never really played any COD game online except for, COD2 I think, but even that was for a short time. So, I don't know much about COD multiplayer and would like some advice, so I don't suck at the beginning.

Also any server and/or map recommendations are always welcome. Hope to see some of you on some servers!

Re: Just bought..

If you get owned by a load of players at the start, dont be discouraged. This is the sort of game where you improve greatly when you play against players who kick your butt ^^. Also, decide whether you want to play Hardcore or Softcore at the start, we now have a handy HC filter so it wont be hard to find good servers. Also, this is personal advice, (so people who disagree, don't flame ;D) dont start to play on servers that are like 30 slot+.. its a bad habit to get into and IMO it ruins the way the game was meant to be played.

Comment

Best advice for you is stick to smaller servers in the beginning.. The less people there are, the more you can keep track of. Which means, less of you getting shot in the back, spam naded, or knifed by someone who just spawned behind you. 10 players per team is usually what I am for.

and remember to have a decent amount of frames for FPS games on PC (over 70 is decent, 100+ is good). Smoother camera movement, guns don't lag and shoot slower, more time to react to an enemy, etc. Tone down some settings, or turn of AA if you seem to have a framerate issues. ~ then /CG_DRAWFPS 1 is the command to check framerate.

Comment

Originally posted by SoXX View Post
        If you get owned by a load of players at the start, dont be discouraged. This is the sort of game where you improve greatly when you play against players who kick your butt ^^. Also, decide whether you want to play Hardcore or Softcore at the start, we now have a handy HC filter so it wont be hard to find good servers. Also, this is personal advice, (so people who disagree, don't flame ;D) dont start to play on servers that are like 30 slot+.. its a bad habit to get into and IMO it ruins the way the game was meant to be played.
        this is so true i have played like a lot of hours and i still get owned a lot :cry:

Comment

yeah no matter how good u are at other games u WILL get pwnd the first couple of times u play CoD4 so expect it. My advice is keep moving, don't try and camp in this game unless u know what ur doing otherwise u wont last long.. Don't use marty or nube tube because not only are they cheap tactics but u will instantly lose respect from the other gamers, u may not care for there respect but they will curse u out for it the whole round i guarentee. You said u had it for XBOX so i guess you know how to play and what kit is ur preferred so all u need to do now is make ur kit and get used to the controls.. ALSO make sure u go into a server with decent ping.. unlike TF2 if u have bad ping in this game it REALLY makes itself apparent!

Comment

Originally posted by xX5N1P3RXx View Post
            yeah no matter how good u are at other games u WILL get pwnd the first couple of times u play CoD4 so expect it. My advice is keep moving, don't try and camp in this game unless u know what ur doing otherwise u wont last long.. Don't use marty or nube tube because not only are they cheap tactics but u will instantly lose respect from the other gamers, u may not care for there respect but they will curse u out for it the whole round i guarentee. You said u had it for XBOX so i guess you know how to play and what kit is ur preferred so all u need to do now is make ur kit and get used to the controls.. ALSO make sure u go into a server with decent ping.. unlike TF2 if u have bad ping in this game it REALLY makes itself apparent!
            Lol, I destroyed the first time I ever played this game. if your good at FPS games, you'll be good at CoD4.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam1990 View Post
              Although I had COD4 for the X360, I thought I'd get it for the PC because FPS games are just much better on PC. Anyway, just wanted to know if you guys have any advice, tips, etc. for new players.

I have never really played any COD game online except for, COD2 I think, but even that was for a short time. So, I don't know much about COD multiplayer and would like some advice, so I don't suck at the beginning.

Also any server and/or map recommendations are always welcome. Hope to see some of you on some servers!
              The people above who gave the advice of playing on smaller servers are absolutely correct. These maps are small, and primarily designed with Consoles in mind, who are limited to a max of 14-16 players total (7-8 per side). When that number is exceeded, the maps "break down" and you'll die a lot from things like campers, nade spam, Martyrdom, etc.

Play on servers of 16 total or less, at least until you can get the hang of the game. You'll have fewer targets to shoot, but you yourself won't end up being a target as often. You can then learn how to properly move around, look around, etc.

Aside from that, just learn the maps inside-out as much as you can. Learn where to shoot from and where you can be shot from. Because of the accuracy of the weapons, and the key to this game of recognizing movement, COD4 really encourages camping, so you need to know where to look before you enter an area so that it's not too easy for someone just sitting in a window/door/etc to pick you off.

Apply the v1.6 patch that just came out (see News section of this forum) and there will be an option in the filters to avoid Hardcore (and Oldschool servers). When learning the game, I think it's best to avoid Hardcore because in that mode your health is lower, there is no mini-map, no crosshair, so it is even easier to die (and encourages even more camping). It's still fun once you get the hang of it, but I would not recommend it to someone still learning the game.

Comment

Don't play hardcore in the beginning. Hardcore encourages camping and staying in one spot more which quite simply won't make you grow as a player and become better at the game. It will also help you improve your aim.

Imma get flamed now, or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Iquere « View Post
                  Don't play hardcore in the beginning. Hardcore encourages camping and staying in one spot more which quite simply won't make you grow as a player and become better at the game. It will also help you improve your aim.

Ya you are.

On the subject of hardcore/softcore, I would suggest going into softcore first. Even if you played Hardcore on the xbox its gonna be much different. Get the hang of the game and then switch if you feel the need. Softcore is good for learning since you can take 5 shots to the dome and still knife the guy (had to throw a jab in there). The servers with 20 slots or less are best to start. Check out the *KYR* Hardcore TDM (again if you get into hardcore) if you want a great server. Decent ping for all over US and I've had buddy's in england get a nice ping too. It's 20 man, with no score limit and a 20 minute time limit. It's pretty intense.

Comment

I agree totally :salute:

Comment

Softcore would be easier to play b/c it's more for people who can take bullets and not die, which would help you in the beginning. Hardcore is a little harsher, more realistic and not something you'd want to tackle in the beginning. HC is not just about camping though b/c imo it also promotes movement. Without radar, people won't see you flanking them and with a 'sneaky' custom kit, the element of surprise wins b/c your bullets kill them quickly unlike in softcore where they can take some hits and then turn around and shoot you.

Also, launch your nades. People may call it spamming, but if you launch it near the main group of enemies, you're almost always guaranteed a kill. Also, you'll know where to launch nades once you know the maps better as Whiskey mentioned. Even though you'll play thousands of people online, the flow of maps is almost always the same, no matter who is playing.

And take your time when shooting. Too many people that I kill just run willy nilly spraying and praying and I calmly pop a couple in them. Don't get nervous when shooting lol.

Comment

Originally posted by JoMaMaz View Post
                        Softcore would be easier to play b/c it's more for people who can take bullets and not die, which would help you in the beginning. Hardcore is a little harsher, more realistic and not something you'd want to tackle in the beginning. HC is not just about camping though b/c imo it also promotes movement. Without radar, people won't see you flanking them and with a 'sneaky' custom kit, the element of surprise wins b/c your bullets kill them quickly unlike in softcore where they can take some hits and then turn around and shoot you.

Also, launch your nades. People may call it spamming, but if you launch it near the main group of enemies, you're almost always guaranteed a kill. Also, you'll know where to launch nades once you know the maps better as Whiskey mentioned. Even though you'll play thousands of people online, the flow of maps is almost always the same, no matter who is playing.

And take your time when shooting. Too many people that I kill just run willy nilly spraying and praying and I calmly pop a couple in them. Don't get nervous when shooting lol.

Don't tell him to use nade launcher!! not only does it NOT improve ur aim and shooting skill it just gives u the "noob" label on any server u play..

Learn how to play using skill and u will become a better player in the end.. may take a bit more time but eventually you will be the guy that wins the match.. resulting to cheap tactics for the sake of kill count won't improve anything.

Comment

Is there hardcore at the xbox/ps3 at all? I think I've heard that they can't have it...

Comment

First, I told him to LAUNCH HIS NADES, which meant with his hands. I did not say to use the grenade launcher itself. But since you bring it up, it would be a great way to get kills if he knows how to use it. It does take skill, not to use it, but to dominate with it. I thread nades through tight spots and windows and kill campers. And with 50 people on small maps (all CoD maps pretty much), you're bound to easily get a kill. I've been first on a server every time I go full force with it.

And who cares what people label you? I found out quickly that there are so many noobs in this game that you could go around with just a pistol and people would call you a pistol *bleep* Seriously, I see people in servers get called something different for every weapon they use. Sniper = camper, lmg/mg/smg = auto whore, prayer and sprayer, Nade Launcher = noob tuber, and on and on.

If it's in the game, if it's to your advantages, and if it follows the rules, utilize it. I don't use the nade launcher on servers that say "please do not use the tube." And I don't use it all the time, but to not use it just b/c you're afraid of what some 13yr old will call you when he gets mad you owned him multiple times with it is just ludicrous.

Oh and also, I continue to win even using my G3 or sniper or any other weapon w/o the tube. I use to rifle/sniper all the time in WWII games. You can use diff weapons and still win in the end. Like 'winning' in public servers means anything anyway lol.

Comment

It does? HC has no hud so no radar. You'll have no idea where the enemy is, so why camp?

I like HC more than normal. It sucks when you put a whole clip into someone and they just turn around and kill you in two shots. That's doesn't make any sense to me. But again, the squad (GOW) I was in at time when I first played COD4 had a HQHC server.

As for tips, you already played the game. You must have a general idea. Just stay within small servers. To me any more than 20+ is too much. Just a marty/nade/tube fest.

Remerber that rank means nothing. You can kill someone using a m9 pistol while someone is using an ak-47. For about two months only thing I used was a USP pistol. I used to be crazy with them. People would think I'm a cheat because I just killed them across the map with a pistol. lol.

With using the noob tuber. Its ok to use but don't abuse it.

Comment

Working...
                              X