next unlock- your opinion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sempf View Post
    if you use baur it isnt that needed. i only use it if i have to kill entrenched enemies and even then i need to pick up a kit cuz i prefer the herzog. but if you want to kill the enemies with a better gun i would advice you the baur. in the beginning it is a bit hard to use but you will get used to the recoil and will love it more than anything else.
    It really depends on how you play. You sound like the kind of guy who likes to get right in there and mix it up at close-ish range, so yeah, the Herzog is the better choice.

But for mid or long-range fighters (like me), the Rockets are better. Plus it's easier to take out groups of guys with the rockets with the splash damage than mowing them down 1 by 1 with the Herzog. If they are at range, you can pop 2 rockets off at them and move off before they even know what's coming.

And of course, if you've got the rockets, you've got the Herzog as well, since you have to unlock that first to get to them (the rockets), so you'll be able to switch to whichever you want between spawns, should the need arise.

Originally posted by Unzen View Post
    Never use the Herzog - I tend to switch to support with the Clark for shotty-duties.
    QFT, assuming what you want are shotgun kills for the Close Combat pin and to play support. If you want to get heal points but want shotgun action, the Herzog is still good; just doesn't count as a shotgun kill. Clark is THE shotgun of the game, but nobody sneezes at a Herzog barrel in their face, either.

Comment

i play a lot in the front lines or in enemie terretory. but even if i go on sniping people with my baur i take a shotgun. it is to cope with the baur weakest point: short range. why even use rockets with the baur: the baur is powerfull and accurate enough to take out enemies at any range but if you are trapped close combat you tend to run out of bullets if it is more than 1vs1. then you have a shotgun for the next guy if needed.
      the baur makes you more skilled a voss takes your skill down(it looks like the oposite if you look to the score)

Comment

i play a lot in the front lines or in enemie terretory. but even if i go on sniping people with my baur i take a shotgun. it is to cope with the baur weakest point: short range. why even use rockets with the baur: the baur is powerfull and accurate enough to take out enemies at any range but if you are trapped close combat you tend to run out of bullets if it is more than 1vs1. then you have a shotgun for the next guy if needed.
        the baur makes you more skilled a voss takes your skill down(it looks like the oposite if you look to the score)
        Well, this is just my way of thinking, mind you, but if you're more than 1v1 the herzog may give you enough edge to take one down with you for sure, but it still doesn't fire fast enough to make your odds of getting more than 1 before you die any better than just drilling them all with the Baur on auto in the first place (this assumes everybody is pulling their trigger at the same time and are on target).

Don't get me wrong, if I come around a corner and bump into an enemy, I'd sure rather have the herzog than rockets, but like I said, I avoid that kind of fight as much as possible and keep things to medium and long range whenever I can.

As for running out of bullets... it's true switching to the Herzog is quicker than reloading the Baur, but it's still enough of a delay that unless your would-be killer just ran out of ammo himself, he's still got a golden opportunity to ventilate you without worry of retribution.

Also, the Baur is powerful... I like to call it the Poor Assault Man's Sniper Rifle (just as I like to call the Lambert the Poor Recon Man's Assault Rifle). I've had a LOT of fun counter-sniping snipers with my Baur. :nod: But the rockets give you some crazy flexibility... the arcing trajectory, splash damage, and air-burst mode to get past that wall a target may be behind, give it a lot more utility than I think you're giving it credit for.

Comment

ehm think about the opossite you are sniping a guy and just ran out of bullets and a guy with a shotgun or ar comes around the corner. you will never ever have a chance of killing him if you want to reload and take the crosshairs then on him. you take out a shotgun(saves 1 sec+ aimingtime) and kills faster than with the baur. so it saves your life. it turns odds which were against you against them.

Comment

Well yeah, but now you're adding in conditions that make the herzog the only answer possible. Which is fine, because we all know your described scenario happens all the time; but if we want really meaningful comparisons we have to presume that everybody is starting out an encounter with full clips, in similar positions, have similar skill, and pulling their triggers at the same time. No pre-crippling of one guy by saying he just ran out of AR ammo.

Otherwise I can just tack on to your example a couple more conditions... let's say that your guy with the herzog is a complete spaz and the guy coming around the corner decides to take advantage of that and whips out his knife to give Mr. Herzog a Colombian Necktie for his trouble and then proceed along his merry way.

Another amusing turn of events, but doesn't really lend anything to the comparison we're talking about. :salute:

Comment

yeah but rockets aren't usefull in my eyes(why use rocekts you have those 3 nades somewhere for) and you have the baur: it is very precize so you can take out enemies from long range. the only time when you need rockets is if they enemies are hiding from you and never come out. but then you're better of with support as you have unlimited nades can place a sentry to take out enemies who flee from nades have ipds to trap/lokate enemies etc. i think the herzog is more usefull as it tends to save you from shotgunners squads etc.

Comment

That brings us back to play style. The Herzog doesn't does me any good as I'm rarely in a range envelope to the target where it's even remotely effective. As well, I can't throw those grenades anywhere NEAR as far as I can shoot a rocket.

With rockets, I can stay at the range I prefer, and they're a ton easier to shoot from the hip, or on the move. I'll be jogging down the road, let's say, spot some guys, and now I can either pause and take my shot with bullets (because shooting while on the move is just throwing lead away at the ranges I prefer), or keep moving while I snap off a couple rockets at them... even if I'm not dead-on, the splash damage will likely insure solid hits, maybe kills, or at least put a hurt on them for a kill assist later if somebody else pops them before they get a chance to heal.

So it'd be safe to say you'd likely mop the floor with me close up using the Herzog, or I would PK rocket you to Kingdom Come long before I ever had to worry about it.

Comment

it depends on play styles. if i see rockets i flee cuz they are problems. you can shoot rockets even out of the air it is extremely handy cuz they pop up and you shoot him in the face. rockets are not very handy if they are skilled but it is also they opposite: if they are not skilled the rockets are very handy and i mean with they: the enemies. they have both their good sides but in my opinion the herzog has it good sides in handy spots: close range, multiple enemies, enemie shotgunners. you cant deal with that very easy(well close range can very easylie just aim and shoot) with a baur. but the shotgun is ment for these situations. at ranges you can deal with every thread: search cover and shoot the rockets out of the air.

ps i'm not sure with that i would pwn you at close range atm as i havent really played for 2 mounths. 2ce in clanmod and a few times with dtneter. maybe get back ontopic what his unlock should be: rockets or advanced med hub. i would say advanced med hub as you get way more points from it than rockets. you still can field unlock the rockets and if you prefer rockets(like 99% of the communitie) get enough points for the next unlock that should be the other one. take the baur as field unlock and play with it. dont expect anything wonderfull in the beginning but you will get better and better.

Comment

take the baur as field unlock and play with it. dont expect anything wonderfull in the beginning but you will get better and better.
                    That's so true. The Baur was the first gun I unlocked that I tried and thought 'WTF?' It just seemed really difficult to use. Massive recoil and with a magazine capacity half that of the Voss.

Then not long after, I spotted one of my team mates using it, but in single shot mode. The Baur is good in bursts, there's no denying that - but I really do think it excels in single shot mode.

That's really why I would always use the Baur with the rocket add-on. As Erhardt says, I'd much rather be at mid-to-long distance with the Baur than close up. Picking off targets at range, can be quickly switched to the rockets without the immediate need to reload.

It takes skill to use the Baur properly, I think - and I have a lot of respect for people that use it.

Comment

Baur was a natural gun for me to use when I first started playing because I used to play with the G3 and F2000 on semi-auto long range all the time. But I've long outgrown that play style, so now it's actually kind of hard to go back to it. I understand why people would say that Baur is hard to use at first.

I personally unlocked the assault trees first because the class seems so vital to the game so it is good to learn on. Engi was the last tree for me to unlock bc for some reason I always hated playing engi on BF games. But ironically engi is the class that I play the most now. I think it helps that it was combined with AT, because that is what I played as a lot on BF2 also.

If you can't decide what to unlock, just wait a while before you choose your next one. Use field upgrades and pick up other kits like crazy and you will quickly learn what unlocks are invaluable to your playing style.

Comment

Messfeeder's right. There's nothing more frustrating than wasting a hard earned unlock point on something you'll regret. In my opinion, getting the the advanced medpack could also be interesting, because rank-ups happen more quickly where you currently are and since DICE made healing easier after the 1.25 patch, you can easily rack up points, especially when withing the order range (providing you have a decent squad leader who give orders )

Comment

Working...
                        X