Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servers: Pet Peeves

Well, best thread name I could think of :|:

Anyways, what are some of your pet peeves on a server? What gets on your nerves? Abusive admins, hacking players who don't get kicked, lack of kick votes, etc.

My biggest one has to be:

BIG COLORFUL server messages that block your view. They not only annoy me as I'm playing, but because I play on a lower resolution, the text can sometimes take up a good amount of the screen and hide an enemy player.

So, what are yours? And what do you server owners do to try to make your server the best one out there? Or, what are your responses to these comments?

People who accuse others of hacking on a game where you can shoot through walls or just point and shoot and get a kill.

People who feel the need to say "lol" after every kill.

People who say "Nice hax" when they are killed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerialz View Post
      BIG COLORFUL server messages that block your view. They not only annoy me as I'm playing, but because I play on a lower resolution, the text can sometimes take up a good amount of the screen and hide an enemy player.
      Hate that, but
      Originally posted by eXo|Cecil View Post
      You can try changing this line in your config_mp

seta cg_hudChatPosition "5 204"

Seems like the appropriate dvar for moving chat messages to a different spot. I haven't tested this, so back up your data before editing.
      I think I set it to 5 100, which places it in the upper left corner. The minimap obscures it a bit.

Comment

Mombot.

noob tubing.

anyone under the age of 15.

Comment

The lack of voting is starting to annoy me, it only takes one arrogant kid to turn the whole server upside down and you can kick them, its just not right, but then i would rather have no voting then joining a server and getting instantly kicked by 5 year olds fixing their challenges.

Comment

Server rules annoy me.

No GL!

No nades!

No guns!

FFS just make it unranked.

Comment

As a player:

The weird server rules like the one posted about "crouch walking only".

A LOT of scrolling text.

Stacked servers, though it doesnt really bother me, but it seems when a server is stacked and you are winning, SOMETIMES, people get mad and start kicking. Maybe thats more admin abuse, but it tends to kill a server.

Anything else and I will leave/ignore it instead of let it bother me.

As a server admin:

Having to turn off voting for the people was a drag. We enjoy getting "positive" input on how to make our servers better and will usually listen. We had to turn off voting to protect the people that want to play on our servers. It sucks, we know it, but we want people to enjoy the server.

As for scrolling messages, yes, we have four of them set on wide intervals. We have two rules on the servers and we will enforce them. If we dont have scrolling text, then the players dont know about the two rules. (No cussing and no bunny hopping, btw)

If we see a map load to the screen and then see 7 people instantly leave or say they hate the map and leave, and it happens more than once (So there is no coincedence) we will take the map out of rotation and replace it.

To make things more enjoyable we will even take map requests and load it up right then and there.

Some things you cant please everyone and we just let the server be the way it is. When we first had our CoD servers up people were complaining that the bomb timer was too long. We lowered it and then it was too short. Raised it, too short, raised it, too short. Raised it to 5 seconds below the default, too long We decided to lower it back a bit and let it ride. That stuff all comes down to preference.

So I guess this is kinda a long post, but those are some of my peeves and some of the things I/we do to try to make it more fun.

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

When server owners are unwilling to change to something everyone would like, just because it'd be unranked.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDesert_Fox View Post
                  When server owners are unwilling to change to something everyone would like, just because it'd be unranked.

Usually a change like that requires the server to be rebooted. So it peeves you that a server admin doesnt want to make changes in a config AND take down their server knocking everyone off AND make it unranked?

There has to be more to that story then that??!!

Crunch

Comment

Admins that kick users for using the mouse wheel for firing.

Comment

******* admins period.

Comment

My peeve: no admin

Comment

People running around this GL as primary.

People standing in doorways.

People running right in front of me when I'm sniping.

Comment

Originally posted by OldGregg View Post
                            People running around this GL as primary.

People standing in doorways.

People running right in front of me when I'm sniping.
                            LOL, thats more of a person peeve than a server one

Crunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
                              Usually a change like that requires the server to be rebooted. So it peeves you that a server admin doesnt want to make changes in a config AND take down their server knocking everyone off AND make it unranked?

There has to be more to that story then that??!!

Crunch
                              I mean like a permanent "I want to make helis have 70% health, but wont since it'd make it unranked" type of changes. Ones where you only lose players once and keep the changes that way. You can change it while no one is there, or inform them it'll be back up soon and to come back and try it out.

Comment

Working...
                              X