Hacking Sites under Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking Sites under Investigation

Well folks it's been a while since I posted anything on the forums here but I have some interesting news that I wanted to share with all of you concerning the on going battle against these sites that promote and sell hacks to players.

After doing some extensive research on the subject I have confirmed that what these sites are doing is illegal under US Federal law and that there are in most cases also international laws that apply here as well to the overseas operators of these types of sites

Last month I contacted the FBI to inquire as to the specifics of how the laws apply and what procedures I needed to follow to file and official complaint. They directed me to the website www.ic3.gov also know as the InternetCrimeComplaintCenter which is the Federal organization that the FBI works with to investigate and prosecute internet related crimes.

After collecting all the necessary information for the report I went ahead and filed my first of what may be many complaints against the folks at 187ci. After a few weeks of not hearing anything, this afternoon I was contacted by an agent from the local office here in Cincinnati that wanted to discuss the details of the complaint so that they could proceed with an official investigation. During our conversation the agent asked me quite a few questions one of which I found quite interesting.

Apparently in addition to the fact that what they are doing is illegal under Federal law, he also mentioned that he was fairly sure that considering the type of activity they are conducting that the money being collected from the sale of the hacks was not being reported as income to the IRS so as part of the investigation he was now going to involve the IRS in a separate investigation for possible tax evasion and fraud.

At the end of the conversation, I inquired as to how long this investigation would take and he was not sure and that it would be based on the case load and the severity of the crimes being committed but he assured me that based on the details I provide in my original complaint that they would follow up on this and if indeed the investigation produced the evidence necessary that owner of the site would be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

After I was finished with the phone interview he told me that they would be in touch with me once the investigation was concluded and that I may be contacted by an agent from the IRS to follow up on any possible investigation by them concerning this matter.

This evening I contacted 187ci domain registrar and their host provider to make them aware of what was going on. The company that they used to register their domain contacted me back saying that they were only the registrar and that they had no control or authority to intercede to shut them down and at this point I have not heard back from the company that they are using to host the site but based on the information I provided I am fairly sure I can expect a reply once they talk with their attorneys as to what their response to me should be or on the other hand they may choose not to comment to me at all due to the fact that there is now a Federal investigation going on.

I am not sure how far this will go or what the end result will be, however if I am successful you can bet that I will start going down my list and taking the same action against the rest of these sites that are providing/ selling hacks over the internet.

For those of you that are interested in following the developments of my first test case, I will keep you posted on the forums here provided the staff of Total BF2 does not object, however I am sure this is going to be a slow going process, so please be patient I will post any updates or news that I get when it becomes available.

Thanks- Mitch

Re: Hacking Sites under Investigation

Wow, lots of stuff to do over a game, but I would too. Thanks a lot man. But it's impossible to stop hacks overall :P

Good luck!

Comment

Nice ****ing work lol.

Comment

wow thanks for actualy putting the effort in and catching these sob's instead of the rest of us who just come on these forums to complain about em...

Comment

Wow,nice job!!!

Comment

Its hard to believe this is the first time someone has pursued legal action.

Comment

I'm surprised it's taken this long, but thanks for keeping us up to date and good work!

Comment

So they're now pwning hacking sites like mx security and such?

Comment

I usually shun people who waste their time on these sorts of things, but you really have thought well about what your doing, so you have my full support!

Make sure you do keep us posted, as it'll be interesting to see what happens, although i suspect this could take months.

Lastly, i don't believe that the FBI will be able to completely close them down. Chances are they will move their servers to a country where it is not against the law, like Mexico and claim that they are operating legally.

Comment

LOL the hack sites will probably hack the FBI and this will aaaall go away

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Slinger View Post
                      LOL the hack sites will probably hack the FBI and this will aaaall go away
                      That would just get them in even more trouble lol

Comment

I would have thought seen as the Government would have already known about this they would have done this before now.

Also these hack sites make millions each year and lawyers would have been involved to make sure they cover themselves. Best way to check, might be worth someone having a look at the small print on the hack websites see it says. They might advertise it as being able to get around all punkbuster checks etc but if it says in the small print, "*** (or whoever) take no responsibility bla bla bla' or 'intended for off line play' then it might make it more difficult?

Also check this out http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=136128

Comment

nice work OP ,not a easy thing to do..but you have taken the right path and sort out the proper legal proceedings.

i take my hat off to you,and look forward to future updates on this subject.

Comment

good work mate hopefully these hackers get run down into the ground crying like little school girls, while trying to say "sorry i wont do it again"

Comment

Originally posted by bazzamattaza
                              I would have thought seen as the Government would have already known about this they would have done this before now.

Also these hack sites make millions each year and lawyers would have been involved to make sure they cover themselves. Best way to check, might be worth someone having a look at the small print on the hack websites see it says. They might advertise it as being able to get around all punkbuster checks etc but if it says in the small print, "*** (or whoever) take no responsibility bla bla bla' or 'intended for off line play' then it might make it more difficult?

Also check this out http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=136128

Well, I gotta say, I haven't read anything as entertaining as the OP in quite a long time. But like the guy above said, they would have done something about it by now. I'm not saying you didn't make a little trip to the FBI but I'd be willing to bet that they placated you so you'd quit bothering them. Like telling a small child "There, there, everything's going to be allll right...." Hacks have been out for first shooters since the days of Castle Wolfenstien for the Commodore 64. It seems incredibly unlikely that they haven't done anything at all about it in the past, what, 20 - 25 years? But then again, they are the government and they do like to take thier time. But 2 decades is inconcivable.

So, a firm pat on the back fo trying. But good luck in your crusade, because it's likely the only thing that'll be lost over this is sleep. :salute:

Comment

Working...
                              X