Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF3: New VOIP feature?

I hope Dice/EA will read this:

During the development stage of Battlefield 2, I asked them the following question:

Will VOIP feature "proximity -VOIP"? This feature would allow players to communicate with teammates nearby (within hearing range) trough VOIP. Something that now cannot be done (as you of course know) in Battlefield 2, leading to the awkward situations in wich you cannot adres to a player standing beside you. And you will not get through to him/or her because not everyone is reading the text all the time and you cannot type it in the middle of the battle.

It would also open the interesting possibility of east dropping on enemies, spying on their tactical plans as you are near. Radio silence or whispering (shorter hearing range) would become a new tactical approach.

The official response (e-mail) of Dice was at the time something along the line:

“We have considered this option, but we feel that the option would be abused by immature players.”

I can imagine players cursing /treating /ridicule other players (especially after killing/being killed), but this already happens now in text during the game. Besides, it could be a server option and be strictly team or open and with player mute option.

I realize a feature like this would generate more network traffic, but connection speeds have also grown again since the release of Battlefield 2.

I think the gaming community is mature/ self regulating enough to handle such an option in the game. And I think it would contribute so much more to an immersive, living gaming arena.

(Please comment also if you disagree with this "proximity-VOIP"?)

:salute:

Edit: the first option in my poll should be ofcourse: Yes, absolutely, it would be one of the reasons to buy this game
    , not "I"

Re: BF3: New VOIP feature?

you have more hope of a decent answer posting it on EA's Official Forums,

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto View Post
      you have more hope of a decent answer posting it on EA's Official Forums,
      Thanks, will go there as well. Like the input here too.

Comment

Its another one of those cool features that are sound on paper but will fail miserably in practice. I wouldnt have anything against a proximity VOIP system, its the next step on evolutionary ladder of VOIPs. Problem is, without a counter to weed out the negatives that come with it, its going to be a nuisance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
          Its another one of those cool features that are sound on paper but will fail miserably in practice. I wouldnt have anything against a proximity VOIP system, its the next step on evolutionary ladder of VOIPs. Problem is, without a counter to weed out the negatives that come with it, its going to be a nuisance.
          With "negatives" you mean abusive behaviour?
          And if so, what about, "mute", "slam", "kick" and "ban"? This is what I mean with " self regulating" within the gaming community.

Comment

It needs to be simple, fast and reliable, whatever it is. Comeon... 80 players on the servers, its an administrators nightmare. Muting 39 potential asshats on your team is even worse, you would need to spend valuable time on some ****ty menus DICE comes up with. I picture it as something like, when youre looking at someones nametag/icon, it highlights and you can mute or unmute them (or use other functions like asking to join the squad) with a click of a key.

Comment

Sounds like a good solution. Point and click is the way. IMO the contribution to the gaming experience is far bigger then the downside. Much closer to real life.

Comment

I'm not sure about this, but I think this is already implemented on Xbox. If it works there it will work in PC games aswell.

Just a suggestion. Give gamer a possibility to mute each player at time or a method to disable the whole feature during the game.

Muting shoud me made easy, for example, point the player and toggle mute / unmute with designated button on your keyboard.

I'd like to see this in next BF game, sounds like a really cool feature.

Another suggestion for next BF: Make spawn points more random to prevent spawn camping.

Comment

I really like that idea but I don't know why they would think it could be abused. As mentioned before, utilizing mute/kick/ban votes would counter that anyway. Don't like someone's voice? Vote mute ftw.

Plus, imagine all the fun things you could do with a VOIP system like that. You could fake out the enemy by yelling out some bogus plan. Or say those "last words" you would normally say silently to yourself while knifing an adversary. If they implemented that, I would be sold. No questions asked.

Comment

Instead, youd get little 12 year old kids screaming profanities, yelling, being a nuisance. Positives can outweight negatives IF the system of control is present. Voting is a failure, its not an option. Democracy doesnt work hand by hand with common sense.

Comment

Instead, youd get little 12 year old kids screaming profanities, yelling, being a nuisance. Positives can outweight negatives IF the system of control is present. Voting is a failure, its not an option. Democracy doesnt work hand by hand with common sense.
                      Still, the implementations I mentioned (mute, kick, etc.) with the point and click feature you mentioned would make a system that is "democratic". Since the people within hearing range vote, the people affected, point en click the option (like the head up menu that is known in BF2 today). It could work immediatly (1 vote) or overtime (someone could garter too much complaints).

Edit: Gathering to many complaints could also be punished by degrading someone, taking away some of the progress he/she made through ranked servers.

Comment

You know, direct punishment in terms of score would make a great improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by haLfReicH View Post
                          I really like that idea but I don't know why they would think it could be abused. As mentioned before, utilizing mute/kick/ban votes would counter that anyway. Don't like someone's voice? Vote mute ftw.

Plus, imagine all the fun things you could do with a VOIP system like that. You could fake out the enemy by yelling out some bogus plan. Or say those "last words" you would normally say silently to yourself while knifing an adversary. If they implemented that, I would be sold. No questions asked.
                          I would like to know how enthusiastic the community is about this idea. That is why I called a poll. See if it is something Dice/EA has to take in consideration (since they make the games for us).

Comment

Yes I would like that feature. But I agree it might be overused.

Comment

Instead, youd get little 12 year old kids screaming profanities, yelling, being a nuisance.
                              All of that stuff happens over the current system anyway, but I can understand where you're coming from. I'd probably get annoyed if I had to mute 5 or 6 people on each server I went to. Not to mention it would just create more work for EA.

I'd like to have it implemented on a test patch, just to see how things pan out. If it's really that bad, just patch over it and move on.

Comment

Working...
                              X