Helicopter pilots are under-appreciated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helicopter pilots are under-appreciated

I am at 500+ chopper hours by now, summing my accounts. This has been overall an enjoyable experience, but sometimes frustrating too. Battlefield 2 has been out for more than 2 years now, and it baffles that after so much time only a few people, actually very few, have mastered helicopter piloting. I expect from the pilot, as a gunner:

1. Good control of the helicopter: The basics being agile maneuvers and no crashing.
    2. Good situational awareness: This is the key to survival in choppers, it's to know who is in what and where, and when caught off-guard (which should not happen in the first place), know where to go for cover.
    3. Line me up! Give me a decent lineup for TV missiles, and be able to execute the circle of death or similar move to mow infantry. Also has to know where to find enemies and refrain from shooting enemies unless I don't see them.
    4. Ability to evade enemy jets and choppers: They are basically the 2 only credible threats to choppers.
    5. Be able to use the FFARs (unguided rockets) in case I miss. This is specially important against enemy AA.

If I join a random server with 64 players, chances are NOT A SINGLE ONE will be able to perform these tasks correctly. Exactly, ZERO PERCENT. The ones who will, are a handful of people I know to be reliable pilots. Seriously, I can count in my hands the good pilots I've had! However, if I go the other way, and try to pick up a gunner, it's slightly different. There are chances one or another might be decent.

Now, why this happens? One of the reasons I can think of that indeed piloting requires much more skill than gunning. It only needs around 10 hours for a decent FPS player to learn the basics of the chaingun and the TV-Missile and become functional gunners. It will take a lot more time to master some hitbox tricks, but nevertheless they can operate. The same can't be said for a pilot. Each of his maneuvers and decisions can mean the difference between survival and death. They have to understand each chopper and how it is going to respond to each input, and be aware of the surroundings in game. And while the chaingun and the TV-Missile are point and shoot weapons, FFAR's are influenced by the position and speed of the chopper and the side from which they are fired.

The other reason is a major screw-up EA made in the points system. The gunner gets 2 points for a kill, and the pilot only 1 point. What the hell? They should get the same credit; either give 2 points to each or 1.5 to each. This made many people with potential to be good pilots to choose gunning instead, and as a result we have lots of gunners and few pilots.

I am myself a decent pilot FOR GOOD GUNNERS. I'll fly fast and do crazy maneuvers, and I'll expect my gunner to shoot TV's while I am evading. I just hate when I pick up noob gunners and then they say "you suck" because I didn't hover still enough for them to shoot. No, idiot. I don't like to be a sitting duck. But then when people say I am a very good pilot or whatever, it is just sad. It reminds me what other people are doing for me to stand out.

And what's worse, people under-appreciate the heli pilots. I've seen many times people say "good round Churrasco" because I got a huge score. And when that happens, I'll always say the kudos goes to my pilot. If I had a newbie pilot in the first place, I might not even get off the ground.

Geez, when I start writing I just can't stop. Got a little bit too long, sorry

Re: Helicopter pilots are under-appreciated

i Reckon that was a good read nice one Churrasco

Comment

I think it was an important post.

It takes a special kind of person to want the pilot's seat: a lot of time and energy goes into mastering every helicopter, and becoming proficient isn't something that one can do simply by putting in the hours. You have to be dedicated and perform focused practice, otherwise you'll be functional but lacking in very important areas.

I was initially surprised that so little people took interest in piloting, but after giving it some thought, it made sense that only a select few would choose to master it... and it's for the same reason most people don't achieve anything substantial in their lifetime: because it requires effort, persistence and potential.

Adequate gunners are a dime a dozen, but truly capable pilots? You could hop into the chopper with a considerable number of players before finding one. Show some appreciation for the people who fly you around and line up those shots... without them at the helm, you would be lost.

Remember, excellent pilots can learn to solo and fly without you.

That's the end of my rant.

Comment

True every word.

Will use this thread to thank those that continuously picked my up in the good days, making our teams chopper effective:

Spy66/Stay_Behind66, Gotos, H.K.O, Chze and Emzon (and many others).

These guys knew every aspect you were writing about, and I learned to appreciate and fear pilots more then gunners.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi View Post
          I think it was an important post.

It takes a special kind of person to want the pilot's seat: a lot of time and energy goes into mastering every helicopter, and becoming proficient isn't something that one can do simply by putting in the hours. You have to be dedicated and perform focused practice, otherwise you'll be functional but lacking in very important areas.

I was initially surprised that so little people took interest in piloting, but after giving it some thought, it made sense that only a select few would choose to master it... and it's for the same reason most people don't achieve anything substantial in their lifetime: because it requires effort, persistence and potential.

Adequate gunners are a dime a dozen, but truly capable pilots? You could hop into the chopper with a considerable number of players before finding one. Show some appreciation for the people who fly you around and line up those shots... without them at the helm, you would be lost.

That's the end of my rant.
          yep right on m8

Comment

Piloting > Gunning anyday of the week. Requires far more concentration and far more skill, IMHO. It's a thankless task, gunner only gives a s**t wheather he can score 40+ kills.

Damn straight.

Comment

Having rather extensive experience as a pilot, I second all what you said. I have taught basics for tenths of gunners during this time. I hope some off them has become good.

Nowadays I fly almost only with the guys I know being able to hit at least ground targers with good accuracy.

Flying has become more difficult since early days. More and more players have become better gunning down copters with jet cannon and gunners hitting copters with TVs, so life span has become shorter. These days I don't want to waste my time in the air for nothing.

Comment

I have recently taken quite a liken to flying choppers- at least soloing.

Please, if you are not a General stay out of my chopper. Soloing is the greatest, you can rack up a 5-1 K/D in your sleep, get plenty of points and not worry about your noob comrade in the chopper.

When I fly for my clan mate, I line him, do all the manuveurs and with TeamSpeak chat he easily gets a 5-1 K/D as well.

And I barely have 40 hours in chopper- some people are just idiots.

Pay attention when your gunner is swinging his chain gun and spotting that attack heli over and over. Line him up, remember that the TV missile line is below what the pilot sees. Gunners, hit targets with your TVs, and pilots don't ram enemy choppers if they get to close... One of the reasons I am having trouble converting from I/O to choppers is that there are so many idiotic noobs, while in I/O you don't need to worry about someone sharing your AK-101 with you.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Is_Scary View Post
                  Please, if you are not a General stay out of my chopper.
                  You have to be careful with that line of thought, because some of us spread our BF2 hours over several accounts.

I'm the best example: five different nicknames, none of them over Sergeant. Yet, you'd be hard-pressed to find another pilot/gunner/soloer like me...

Comment

Do you use a joy stick or keyboard?

Never even stepped inside a pilots seat in BF2.

Comment

I was trying to teach a clanmate how to tv jets the other night, he... used.. the... chaingun! (this same guy shows up for a match a day early and an hour late.)

Comment

Couldn't agree more with the OP

Comment

i agree with OP and i think heli pilotes really do have alot to handle, i crash people when i pilot one (well i used to) so i usually let them piolet and i try my best to stay and protect us from ground fire =)

Comment

Well Churarasco I think you answered your own question. The reason why there are so few great pilots out there is due to the time it takes to truely master flying. Time that most people dont have.

You have to remember that most people play this game at their leisure. Although many of us would love to pilot like the pros...the frustrations through trial and error can be too much. Most gamers are comfortable just being able to pilot without crashing.

Taking it to the next level is something you and a few others have decided to do. Unfortunately for you, your kind are the minority. No wonder guys like you decide to solo..I honestly dont blame soloers for their actions. If there were more great pilots soloing wouldnt even be an option.

Comment

you know what i think: you people take a game too seriously. im serious.. "situational awareness" WTF is that?!?? staring at your computer screen more intently?

Comment

Working...
                              X