No announcement yet.

Do people actually play custom maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Do people actually play custom maps?

Originally posted by Sars99 View Post
    yes, but 95% isn't all of the BF2 players now is it!!!!!!
    I still prove my point thou dont I

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
      I still prove my point thou dont I
      yeh i know you still rpove your point, look at my first post, the sentence after the bit you quoted, i totally agree that the stats and ranking kill any prospect of a custom map being played for more then a week

but not all of BF2 players ignore them, otherwise you'd never have people playing any mods and i myself have had a little bit of time playing custom maps

i think the past page of our discussion has been misunderstood by both parties, you proving to me that stats have killed custom maps which i agree with, then me trying to show how not every BF2 player is rank hungry, or whatever

Comment

I agree with rhino in general, but I think there is something else going on with BF2 that he isn't accounting for.

I think there is a very large new population of players on BF2 that simply have no idea there are 'mods' or any custom content available. These are the console players who really don't have any idea these things are out there or how to make them work.

Now in console games, there is a little button usually 'add custom content' or something along those lines that will allow simple installation of custom maps or content for the game. This is also true with steam, where a player simply scrolls down a list of games and content that they can install and the backend installs this content and they are ready to play.

DICE has made a very small gesture in this regard by picking their mod of the month or whatever that is called. There is proof that when they did this plus the little pop up for OPK that the player numbers of the mod went up DRAMATICALLY. But the pop up only lasted a day, and the boost to the mod only lasted a day. Since then, DICE has been busy with 2142 and their console games and have completely dropped this whole plan. They also have not used the BF2 pop up to support any other mods.

Between 'newb' BF2 players (people new to the game without any knowledge of the number of FREE games they can install and play with minimal effort) and the lack of support from DICE and the BF2 ranking system (not to mention the rank whores). We will never see custom content played on BF2.

Comment

ye jilted, that is another point, we see loads of posts just on TBF2 saying "will the mod effect my normal game", then just think how many players dont ask thous questions cos they dont look at news sites etc...

Comment

I don't see much of a future in custom gaming for BF2 unless its in a couple more years when all the stat people move onto another game and EA stops releasing BF2 related titles, and the people that will be around will be the ones that are the hardcore gamers that really didn't care about the stats, but liked playing the game.

One of the reasons that I stopped making custom maps for BF2 is because it seemed like I was wasting my time when people would play them for a week or so and then it stopped. The first map pack that we did release went well and lasted for awhile, then the second less support, third less support even more, and then we saw that there wasn't much interest past the first couple of weeks of release so we stopped releasing the packs.

But now I don't have any time to do anything map related or BF2 related, work and school. However I may release one last map if I feel motivated to do it and get enough time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sars99 View Post
              yes, but 95% isn't all of the BF2 players now is it!!!!!!
              Very few people really mean 100% when they say "all". A bit annoying to picky people like me too but I just accept it and move on.

Probably the only place where people do frequently play custom maps is in SP/co-op. Mods probably also make up a much larger percentage of SP/co-op (LAN) play in BF2 than they do online play. When I'm not playing online I never play vanilla BF2, just mods (mostly my own custom mod and mostly with maps downloaded from BFSP). So don't give up on modding; just make sure you support SP in your mods/maps.

Comment

People do play custom maps....in competition leagues. I have alot of maps out there that are being played in competition.

Hue
                City of the Dead
                Karkandfu

Those are all popular 5v5 maps.

I have many others that are being played in 8v8.

I have been very lucky....

Here is the 5v5 CAL finals which was war-casted to the masses:

This showcased City of the Dead

Comment

I installed all three map packs and can't find any one of them!!!

Comment

I know some groups who do campaigns do use the custom maps. Check out www.global-conflict.org as an example. Otherwise, I agree the mods are the best way to go.

Lucky Shot

Comment

Originally posted by Parsaw View Post
                      I want to try some new maps, but I don't want to waste my time if people don't even play these maps. So, what're some custom maps people actually play? If any.
                      Mods and singleplayer, mostly.

Comment

Originally posted by Spik3d View Post
                        Mods and singleplayer, mostly.
                        I don't bother downloading any maps without bot support. I currently have 90 maps in my bf2\levels folder (although that includes 64-player SP versions of vanilla maps and multiple versions of some maps with the sides swapped or with different armies).

Comment

Wake airshow sometimes has people!

Comment

Truth is that unless it has "Stats" reporting the majority isn't going to play it.
                            EA/Dice really screwed over the gaming community with this..its like a Drug once you've got it to get those little jpegs medals and Badges...nobody plays for fun anymore.

Its a damn shame.:shakehead:

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
                              I have watched BF2 and the mapping/modding community long enouth to know how this works, and as you can see by CATIA post, other modding devs agree with me too.

custom maps and map packs on there first release may be played for afew days, maybe even weeks like the total BF2 map packs. but they are soon forgotten about and ppl go and play on ranked servers.

Even mods stuffer a grate deal from the EA ranked servers if you have not relized. At one point in BF1942 over 50% of players playing BF42 where playing mods, and now not even 5% of players for BF2 are playing mods. Why do you think it is? the quility in the mods has dropped? no, the quility in the mods infact has increased a grate deal in the time since BF42. you get alot more from a mod these days than you do back then. the fact is the vBF2 players cant seem to get away from there hoocked obsession of the ranking system in vBF2. when/if they get board of the ranks, they move onto a diffrent game, hardly any of the time mods as they cant be asked with BF2 cos they relize getting all thous unlocks, ranks etc was in the end, pointless and infact, not that much fun. playing for fun is infact much funner and more sattisfiying for all players on the server, than playing for ranks, its quite a well known fact. but for some reason, playing for fun these days is not enouth, players want to acchive something from playing a game, aswell as maybe a little bit of fun with it.

I could go on and on about how the games today are intresting, why MMORPGs are getting even more and more popular is linked to the same reason why players want to play for ranks, but i aint going to make some huge post (which this post is already pretty big and swimming with spelling mistakes already) that most ppl wont bother to read even the first line of
                              EA doesn't care enough about the community to even release an editor for 2142...

Comment

Working...
                              X