Do people actually play custom maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do people actually play custom maps?

I want to try some new maps, but I don't want to waste my time if people don't even play these maps. So, what're some custom maps people actually play? If any.

Re: Do people actually play custom maps?

simple awnser is no, ppl do not play custom maps due to custom maps cant not be put on ranked servers, and all vBF2 players are obsessed with ranks, thats a fact.

Only place you can really play new maps is with mods

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino View Post
      and all vBF2 players are obsessed with ranks, thats a fact.
      no its not a fact, its an opinion.

but to answer the question then nope not many, sometimes you get some servers hosting them, like that KARKANDFU map, thats had some popularity for a bit, but it wont last.

Comment

Originally posted by Sars99 View Post
        Actually it is a fact, how else do you explain the lack of people playing custom maps. It's all about the ranks/points etc.

Comment

I have watched BF2 and the mapping/modding community long enouth to know how this works, and as you can see by CATIA post, other modding devs agree with me too.

custom maps and map packs on there first release may be played for afew days, maybe even weeks like the total BF2 map packs. but they are soon forgotten about and ppl go and play on ranked servers.

Even mods stuffer a grate deal from the EA ranked servers if you have not relized. At one point in BF1942 over 50% of players playing BF42 where playing mods, and now not even 5% of players for BF2 are playing mods. Why do you think it is? the quility in the mods has dropped? no, the quility in the mods infact has increased a grate deal in the time since BF42. you get alot more from a mod these days than you do back then. the fact is the vBF2 players cant seem to get away from there hoocked obsession of the ranking system in vBF2. when/if they get board of the ranks, they move onto a diffrent game, hardly any of the time mods as they cant be asked with BF2 cos they relize getting all thous unlocks, ranks etc was in the end, pointless and infact, not that much fun. playing for fun is infact much funner and more sattisfiying for all players on the server, than playing for ranks, its quite a well known fact. but for some reason, playing for fun these days is not enouth, players want to acchive something from playing a game, aswell as maybe a little bit of fun with it.

I could go on and on about how the games today are intresting, why MMORPGs are getting even more and more popular is linked to the same reason why players want to play for ranks, but i aint going to make some huge post (which this post is already pretty big and swimming with spelling mistakes already) that most ppl wont bother to read even the first line of

Comment

For modders to have spent hours upon hours of work to have people play their mod for a day or two, and go back to stat whoring BF2. Its not their opinion, its what actually happens.

Rhino, man that was possibly the best explanation I have ever heard on this subject

Comment

^^ so your saying everyone plays on BF2, and not mods

Comment

...says the guy displaying his rank right in his signature. Am I the only one that laughed when I saw that post?

Originally posted by Rhino
                but for some reason, playing for fun these days is not enouth, players want to acchive something from playing a game, aswell as maybe a little bit of fun with it.
                The thing I don't get is the fact that ranks are 100% useless. A year or two from now, will you add "Major General in Battlefield 2" onto your resume to help you get a job? Will you benefit at all from these ranks? Hell no. If there were actual prizes awarded for ranks, medals, or kills, then I'd be whoring it up along with everyone else and probably ignoring mods. But that's not the case, one day these points and medals will be nuked. They even manage to take fun away from the game because people forgo teamplay in favor of getting more pixels.

That's probably the 800th time I've ranted about ranks, so I should just quit while ahead. Longtime mod players are by far the most mature BF2 fans and I'm really glad that there are some people that do play them. To answer the original question...maps, admittedly, have an even smaller player base - most custom mapmakers these days make maps for the various mods, that greatly increases their chances of being noticed and played.

Comment

^^ so your saying everyone plays on BF2, and not mods
                  Thats the just of all this ranting, yes.

Comment

Alright, then! What are some good mods?

I've played Point of Existence 2, that was cool, I've played project reality, that one is good too, I've played the Sir. mod thing, that was pretty cool, oh yeah, and Desert Conflict, that was an awesome mod too.

What are some other ones?

Comment

Originally posted by Parsaw View Post
                      Alright, then! What are some good mods?

I've played Point of Existence 2, that was cool, I've played project reality, that one is good too, I've played the Sir. mod thing, that was pretty cool, oh yeah, and Desert Conflict, that was an awesome mod too.

What are some other ones?
                      you played mods??? you not supposed to, you should be stats padding like me to get uber high rank, and be interent cool, and have lots of shiny medals, because thats all the people play!?!?!?!

/i think not

...says the guy displaying his rank right in his signature. Am I the only one that laughed when I saw that post?
                      so what if i fall into the majority that enjoy the stats, and the little things like that. i still dont account for all the BF2 players

Comment

so what if i fall into the majority that enjoy the stats, and the little things like that. i still dont account for all the BF2 players
                        Nothing wrong with falling into the majority, just don't tell us that meaningless ranks/points is not the problem when it comes to lack of people playing custom maps and MODs, because it is, and that's a FACT.

Comment

it is the major cause, i aint that stoopid

but to say all BF2 players are stats hungry is the opinion

most of them are (which i admit i fall into, though not as hungry as others), but you generalize everyone is wrong

Comment

it is the major cause, i aint that stoopid

but to say all BF2 players are stats hungry is the opinion

most of them are (which i admit i fall into, though not as hungry as others), but you generalize everyone is wrong
                            ok if you want exact stats, 95% of the BF2 player pop play on vBF2, around 75% of thous players, maybe more are rank hungry, like you are, you can tell by your sig for a starts and your posts.

5% of players play mods, around 0.2% of players play custom maps, at the top end, where as BF1942 at one point over 50% of players where playing mods. now why is that? what is so diffrent from BF2 and BF1942. is it the commander feature? no cos the ranks have that too, is it the ranks? yes.

Comment

yes, but 95% isn't all of the BF2 players now is it!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X