Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: All Vid settings on LOW&100% Viewing Distance - A legal "hack"

Originally posted by *BS*Gun Slinger
    well when you invest the money into 4 Gig of RAM, 3.4 GHz proc, and dual Nvidia 7800GT vid cards...............you run it at the highest settings

I got all my settings on high, every one of them, but one thing Im not sure of is what does anti aliasing EXACTLY do, I have a vague idea but still not sure so I run mine at 4x, is it better to run that at a higher rate as well??
    I can explain in layman's terms as I don't know technically offhand what's done...It takes all the edges you see in game (called "jaggies") and smooths them out. I think the difference between say 2x and 4x is that it samples the texture of the object it is smoothing twice as much. The pixels which are blocky upon zooming closely are then filled diagonally in order to create a smoother edge.

Comment

Originally posted by PEENkiller
      I can explain in layman's terms as I don't know technically offhand what's done...It takes all the edges you see in game (called "jaggies") and smooths them out. I think the difference between say 2x and 4x is that it samples the texture of the object it is smoothing twice as much. The pixels which are blocky upon zooming closely are then filled diagonally in order to create a smoother edge.
      thanks, I was thinking that, it was explained to me before (since I was a mapper in UT) that its sorta like a solid brush vs. a semi-solid brush, semi-solid brushes dont take as much to render

Comment

well who wants to put it on low anyway

Comment

This so called legal hack ... All Vid settings on LOW&100% Viewing Distance ... doesnt work if you want to snipe over any significant distance.

If you want to optimize the settings for your computer check this guide ... TweakGuides - BF2.

Btw I wouldnt waste money on 4Gb of RAM. 2Gigs suffice at this point in time and from what I remember reading somewhere WinXP doesnt even support beyond 3Gigs.

Comment

I spent 2.5k on my pc for a reason and Ill do anything to make my game look the way its meant to look, I dont care if Im laging from time to time but Ive seen videos of people playing on min and theres just no way you can hide, I think "duck and cover" video is an example

btw AA gets rid of all the jaggies, makes everything smooth

Comment

Running BF2 on low settings doesn't really give me any kind of boost. My 6600GT seems to complain if on low settings. Optimal for me is 1200 x 1024 @ 85hz (monitor settings). when i decrease to 1024 x 728 (120mhz) it really isn't any better. Down to 800x600 @ 150mhz still not better. So I just put up with the general lag when it happens and look forward to future upgrades in Spring 2007.

For Valve games such as Half-LIfe 2 and CS, it seems to work, but the BF2 engine must be limited or something... or HL2 just runs better.

Comment

I run my settings on medium with shadows and lighting turned to the lowest settings. It really does help keep things silky smooth during large fire fights. And like previous poster's have said, having no shadows makes finding and seeing targets alot easier.

Comment

i used to run low/off settings and it just doesnt work really that much better, some things i can live without, such as anti-aliasing, but turning down some of the graphics makes everything look really vague to me, and because of that i find it harder to concentrate and enjoy myself

the main things to turn up as far as gamplay goes, as far as i can tell, is Geometry because objects at far distances show up sooner with this on high, specifically vehicles way off in the distance. Light alse helps as colors get more distinctive, some things get darker but i think it actually think it looks more composed, and easier to concentrate on, plus everything looks really pretty once the colors have been changed by the lighting, the Chinese APCs actually look camoflaged and finally dynamic lighting simply because of muzzle flashes , trust me, those help sooooo much, if you run nothing else on atleast medium i would recommend atleast the dynamic lighting just because being able to see the spit of flame and viscoral flash just makes me feel all rambo and amazing

as mentioned before http://www.tweakguides.com/ is a excellent source

Comment

I run all high, can't stand bad graphics.

Comment

Originally posted by [AK]Lord_Of_War
                      I run all high, can't stand bad graphics.
                      Me too, but. If I want to play 'easy' I set everything on low, but I keep the high resolution of 1440 x 1078 and 2xAA and 4xAF. That will give me very smooth fps, see everything and the high res, antialiasing and AF allows me to see farther and better, good for targetting objects at long range.

Comment

AA is the poor/cheap man's version of high res. I find that BF2 looks better @1600x1200 w/ no AA than 1280x1024 w/ 4x AA.

Comment

The gain in maxing out the settings vs. the hit you take in performance (even with a nice rig) is not worth the effort. Read the Tweakguide for how things work out on different settings in BF2.

Comment

Being able to see into dark corners and such, really is dependant on your MONITOR. When I got BF2 I had a crappy 17" ctr that was dim. I had to crank up monitor brightness all the way and boost gamma with Nvidia CP and turn off lighting in game to see anything.

I then got a nice 19" KDS ctr and had to turn its brightness down abit, even in Op Cleansweep I could see everything. (Very nice monitor but it was HUGEMONGUS went to LCD for space saving)

Now I just got an Acer 19" LCD 2m responce and had to turn its brightness setting way down.

So in my humble opinion the quality of 1's monitor has more to do with whether or not you can see well in the dark spaces in the maps.

Comment

Actually you only have to turn Dynamic Shadows to OFF.

I play the game on both an old pc and a new rig at my other home and I see the exact same things on both.

Comment

I have everything max, except lighting, shadows. I use to have everything max, but like mostly everyone said, in the dark conners you can't see verywell, and people can hide, you run right pass them and bang your dead. But now there's no shadows or nothing so i can see every little nook as bright as day. Call it cheating if you like, but blame EA for it, they are the one that made it that way. It should probably be somewhat of the other way around, but oh well.

Comment

Working...
                                X