No announcement yet.

Any bets on when BF3 will be announced?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any bets on when BF3 will be announced?

Originally posted by Radar-C}{G-

I am not trying to be troublesome, just want to get some facts straight.
    Well, sure, I would like straight facts too, but we seem to have some conflicts of information. As you see from my memory and troybob's awesomeness, our information seems to conflict with yours.

Comment

DCX had manually guided missles, but not heat seekers..... DC did not have tunnels like BFV.... They had buildings that sat above ground, but appeared to be underground... not quite the same.

EA/Dice could not impliment the features of BFV with the BF42 engine... this is why modders took so long to port mods to BFV.

Comment

The BFV engine was a new engine from ground the up.
        nope

same physics engine - re-worked rendering engine.

Source:

DCX had manually guided missles, but not heat seekers.....
        nope.

Source:
        some video dcx made. not sure if they ever made it to release.
        some images:

Comment

BF42 and BFV are not built on the same engine: Some of the major differences include:

BFV included tunneling (working after the 1.2 patch), which was impossible with the BF42 engine.
          BFV included under and over-growth which again was impossible to do with the BF42 engine.
          BFV included target tracking for missles and rockets (heat seakers) which again was impossible for the BF42 engine.
          BFV included flag capture notification, which was not possible with BF42...

The list could go on, but I think that would be a waste... While BF2 and BF2142 are based on the same engine, they will be two completely different games.

As for BF3... I am not a betting man, but rest assured that once they get the money out of BF2142, an announcement will be made about the new and "better" BF game.... more than likely BF4142 since the WWII and Modern Warefare games market is flooded with the likes of CoD, CoD2, America's Army, Joint Operations, BF (entire series and mods), Brothers in Arms, etc., etc., etc., they likelihood of another modern.past warfare game taking any of the current market share will be unlikely.

they are the same engine noob , just as there are new features doest mean its not the same thing , titan mode , its the same engine but it does mean its in bf2

Comment

Why bf2142 a flop??
            It may be great and cool, wait for the demo!!

Comment

Okay... see let's talk apples instead of apples and oranges....

The physics engine was nearly the same, but was reworked to allow for heat seeking missles, tunnels, and a change in the addition of helo physics, which BF42 used airplane physics for helos... which is why they never flew the properly in BF42.

The rendering engine was a complete rework to allow for the more advanced pixel shading which provided more details in the object skins and also allowed for the over and under-growth.

Another thing added was cutom music tracks, which like all of the other added BFV features, was not possible in BF42 without a complete rewrite of many portions. Although some of the foundation from the BF42 engine were used, to say they are the same game engine is inaccurate.

Viper, it's nice to see that people aren't beneath lowering themselves to grade-school name calling in an otherwise mature discussion. Thanks for your two-cents.... here's your change.

Comment

Enjoy

Comment

Well BF2 was announced within a week of BFV's release. Why was this? My guess is that they knew BFV was not what everyone hoped for and that it would flop. Much like 2142, BFV was just built on an existing tweaked engine (like a mod would do if they had source code). Knowing the game was not going to go over well once released, they had the promo material ready to distract the fans on BF2.

2142 is deja vu all over again. Dice needs to remember where they came from with 1942 and get back to their roots. I think they are already working on BF3 which will be WW2 and it will be announced soon after 2142 (which will also be the total number of sales for this game) hits the stores.

Comment

Viper, it's nice to see that people aren't beneath lowering themselves to grade-school name calling in an otherwise mature discussion. Thanks for your two-cents.... here's your change.
                    what do you expect from a sir member?

anyways - so we're agreed? same physics engine - reworked rendering engine? we're both right!

Comment

Not much...

Comment

I read that they were sick of hearing people complain about BF 2 so they're actually coding the patches for BF 3 first. Patch 1.1 will be out some time next summer. After Patch 1.25 - January 08 - they'll release the base game.

Comment

Prolly will be announced on the release date lol. (they announce em extremely fast so they dont have to mkae patches)

Comment

BF42 and BFV are not built on the same engine: Some of the major differences include:

BFV included tunneling (working after the 1.2 patch), which was impossible with the BF42 engine.
                            BFV included under and over-growth which again was impossible to do with the BF42 engine.
                            BFV included target tracking for missles and rockets (heat seakers) which again was impossible for the BF42 engine.
                            BFV included flag capture notification, which was not possible with BF42...

The list could go on, but I think that would be a waste... While BF2 and BF2142 are based on the same engine, they will be two completely different games.
                            My point still stands valid. Even with those tweaks, BFV and BF1942 will still based around the same engine.

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractor_2

Comment

Believe what you want:

Its new features include a new game engine that heavily uses normal mapping, multiple weapons for most classes, and new maps.

Q: Are there any graphical improvements to Battlefield Vietnam?
                              A: Yes. We completely rewrote the rendering engine to be able to support all the features that are expected in modern games.

The physics system was already very robust and capable of a lot so we didn’t see much gained by redoing it. The graphics engine on the other hand was completely yanked out in favor of a completely new one. As I mentioned earlier, we have normal mapping, bump mapping, specular lighting, basically all the bells and whistle expected from a DX9 game. This new engine also gave us the freedom to add the dense vegetation that we needed to convey a convincing representation of sixties era Vietnam. When I say dense, I mean dense. There are map where you’re in the middle of the jungle and there’s nothing but trees as far as the eye can see. Thick grasses help as well. Its quite spectacular.

So the graphic engine was completely new, but the physics engine was reused, and tweeked to allow for heat seeking missiles, helicotper lifts etc.

Now to get back on topic.... Sorry for the Hijack, it wasn't my intention.

BF3 is probably in development now, but as for what it will be... that is truly anyone's guess. It could be a WWI, WWII, Korean War, Civil War, Revolutionary War, or even Star Wars type of game. The one thing I can guarantee is that during its life cycle, it will be similtaneously the most loved and most hated game made to date. Peace all.

Comment

Originally posted by EC-Paulus-
                                It takes time to develop new game engines. When BF2142 is released, expect no new PC game annoucement from DICE. Its going to take them another year or so until they can develop a better, newer engine for DX10. As much as EA would love to release game after game, DICE simply can not keep up.

Remember, BF 1942 was released in 2002, BFV was released in 2004. Who knos, maybe the next BF series game for PC wont be out until 2008. I certinaly hope so.
                                well from this article directly from Dice-

Originally posted by translated
                                Digital illusion's launches new title - Battlefield: Bad Company
                                Digital illusion's CE Ltd (publ) 2006-08-21
                                Today, digital illusion's (DICE) announced a new title, Battlefield: Bad Company for Xbox360 and PlayStation 3. Battlefield: Bad Company is planned to be released during 2007 and is one of the previous announced titles that wasn't named.

Battlefield: Bad Company is an entirely new and independent game in the Battlefield-series that uses a game engine called” Frostbite”. That's DICE's entirely newley developed gaming engine. The game contains a cinematic singel-player-part loaded with adventorus feeling and dark humour as never earlier been experienced in Battlefield-series.

“in a game world that is destroyable to 90% is the possibilities infinite - the battlefield is to be changed all the time and forces the players to always to change tactic.” says man Magnus Troedsson, Senior Producer for Battlefield: Bad Company

More information about the PC- and PSP-versions will be presented at a later occasion.

The Internet address to the Battlefield-series information page is http://battlefield.ea.com.

For further information contact:
                                John Hargelid, information responsible, 08-658 78 00
                                E-mail: press@dice.se
                                This leads me too belive that battlefield:Bad Company will infact be on the PC aswell as the consoles(and the psp?)

So in essence BF:BC is BF3

Comment

Working...
                                X