Fix for point farming -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fix for point farming -

Problem with making healing harder is that now medics will wait for you to die before doing anything. I mean, they could either sit there like a lump of coal with their healing bag out for 10 seconds to heal you and maybe get one point, or wait for you to die, whip out the paddles, click, and you're good as new in 2 seconds and they get two points.

~Wolfgang

Comment

+1 for no more changes.

Simple really.

Comment

While I think some of your suggestions are decent, there is a larger problem with the ranking system that makes the hope of a balanced point system unrealistic. Ideally, everyone should play to win the game. That means attempting to complete various objectives that help your team win. (Killing people, defending flags, taking flags, hindering the enemies advances and destroying their vehicles, etc.) The problem with a point system in BF2 is that there a so many different ways to help your team win that it is impossible to quantify your contribution within some kind of point system. If the game was simply team-deathmatch it is easy to see who contributes to the victory (lots of kill, few deaths). However, in BF2 you can contibute to victory with few kills and lots of deaths (making it a more interesting game, in my opion). It is this fact that makes a point system difficult. Imagine a situation in which the enemy has a good chopper pilot. You decide to go behind enemy lines and prevent them from getting into the chopper. You destroy it whenever it spawns, kill the people who try to get into it, etc. In this situation you would be contributing alot to your team by preventing enemy air support. However, there is no way that a point system could reward your action. (Imagine the nightmare that would result if people were given points for destroying empty vehicles.) In this situation, destroying empty vehicles is a huge benifit to your team, however, in other situations it would hurt your team.
        Likewise, a good medic can really help his squad out (and should be rewarded for doing so). However, someone who runs to a dead person in the middle of a fire fight and revives him just to watch the person die is not really helping anyone. How can a point system differentiate between these two actions. The only way it is possible would be to make a bunch of strange and complex rule (for example, a medic only gets a revive point if the person he revives live for more than 5 seconds). However, if this strategy is abopted then we would have tons of complex rules for getting points, and point farmers would stilll figure out some way to exploit the system (get lots of points without really contributing to their team very much). The best suggestion I can offer is to play to game to win and not worry too much about points.

Comment

All of your changes make sense to me. I'm sure that EA/Dice are aware of the current imbalances and exploits which could easily be fixed by your suggestions. Alot of people have come up with some good ideas and all it would take on EA's part is a little work. Lets hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang Abenteuer
            Problem with making healing harder is that now medics will wait for you to die before doing anything. I mean, they could either sit there like a lump of coal with their healing bag out for 10 seconds to heal you and maybe get one point, or wait for you to die, whip out the paddles, click, and you're good as new in 2 seconds and they get two points.

~Wolfgang
            Yes, but they have stay by your side. They can't just throw a couple of medkits down and run off to snipe with the L85A1 knowing they've left some point earners behind. Usually players are killed outright with medic revives usually around 3 X the number of medic heals in the round already.

People whine about snipers leaving claymores around for "easy points" then they themselves litter the ground with easy points ammo bags and medkits.

The goal is to improve gameplay whilst balancing the kits.

Originally posted by graag
            Wow Lazza66, a trainwreck of ideas.

You forgot about some vital stuff though: capturing the Suburbs, Train Accident or Backyard flags must absolutely give more points than the overused Hotel flag.

The solution is simple: IF YOU REALLY CARE ABOUT THE STATS - CARE ABOUT YOURS ONLY. OR DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM AT ALL. It seems like you spend more time whining on forums (IO = bad, grenades = bad, spm = bad, whore this, whore that) than playing???
            Karkand is 1 map, the problem is generalised across the whole game, and the suggestions don't claim to be complete, but a major improvement.

Yes, I resisted IO, a lot, because of these imbalances etc. It's here now, so why not make IO the groundpounder fun that people wanted. This isn't just about IO, it's old imbalances that are even more pronounced now.

Only since the DICE development suggestions forum was closed, and IO was being developed have I been a whiner (although I have complained about an AT kit oddity).

Historically I have spent a lot of time discussing fixes etc. for classes I don't use or like (sniper) and for vehicles I don't use or like (jets / pilot class).

Comment

how many IO bashing threads do we need, come on, everyone has a magic solution to the problem, if one exists. my solution is to stop complaining and play another game...

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappa
                how many IO bashing threads do we need, come on, everyone has a magic solution to the problem, if one exists. my solution is to stop complaining and play another game...
                Can I get a witness?.....................

Comment

Originally posted by bigpappa
                  This is exactly the kind of comment that gets us nowhere. It's not just about IO. The problems are manifold, and repeatedly accusing those who take the time to suggest fixes as whiners is counterproductive. This is not a complaint, or a whinge, it's a proposed solution to a set of problems.

This is not another anti IO debate, and I'd prefer you didn't try to make it one. This is an infantry balance and teamplay incentives thread. It's not a negative flaming post and I'd like to see it stay on track and not become a slangfest.

Regards it's here now (IO), enough changes, and there are no more patches. Well, BF'42 made it to 1.61b, so there's a good chance there'll be another patch. Many of the suggestions don't require changes to the programming, just tweaks of existing values, and as such would be easily implemented without stability risks.

Comment

you can already pick up mines with the wrench.

Comment

Bah what it is, is another "ways to change the game" thread and as you have qouted in your post "my solution is to stop complaining and play another game". Take that advice, give it a rest. If you don't like it dont play it, but for Gods sake just stop changing it. Adapt and conquer or fuc* off.

Comment

Originally posted by CensoredByGod
                        Bah what it is, is another "ways to change the game" thread and as you have qouted in your post "my solution is to stop complaining and play another game". Take that advice, give it a rest. If you don't like it dont play it, but for Gods sake just stop changing it. Adapt and conquer or fuc* off.
                        My solution is YOU stop complaining about people proposing bug fixes.
                        If YOU don't like to read suggestions on game improvement then take your own advice and fuc* off yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by VT Nerd
                          +1 million

Unless Dice is fixing a bug or glitch, I don't want them to touch the game ever again....no more gameplay changes.

With that said, I've taken 1st place with every kit at one time or another (even sniper). IMO the key to really doing well is to not play the same kit an entire round. I typically play all of the kits (give or take one or two) depending on the map and what I'm doing and what the enemy is throwing at me. OP you've got a high rank with lots of playtime so you no doubt know this already.

Is it easy to get more points as medic? Yes, but so what? I haven't hardly touched the kit since I got it to 100 hours (many months ago) and I still do well whenever I play. I don't take #1 back to back, but every now and then. The key is to be proficient with all the weapons so you can switch kits as needed.

Thank you, and I agree!

Originally posted by Lazza66
                          If YOU don't like to read suggestions on game improvement then take your own advice and fuc* off yourself.
                          Dude, you need to chill. That avatar you're running there isn't helping the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by scott111
                            Thank you, and I agree!

Dude, you need to chill. That avatar you're running there isn't helping the situation.
                            He tells me to fuc* off and I need to chill?

Comment

Originally posted by Lazza66
                              You're the one starting all the anti-IO threads, and are just a long litany of waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa. Your 'bug fixes' are nothing more than an armour whores rant about how other non armour-whores are supposed to play the game. You can't even figure out the simplest thing.... this supposed mode of 'point farming' only came into existence because of armour-whore 'point farmers' like yourself in traditional mode.

The only people I've seen complaining about IO, are armour-whores and jet-whores. For some reason, they're terrified that their points don't mean quite as much anymore, because there's another mode for getting those 'precious' points. It's nothing more than a petulant rant of a little child that sees another child has a different coloured ice-cream.

The game is fine. Get over it.

And ffs, grow up.

Comment

Originally posted by Combat-Quokka
                                You're the one starting all the anti-IO threads, and are just a long litany of waaa waaa waaa waaa waaa. Your 'bug fixes' are nothing more than an armour whores rant about how other non armour-whores are supposed to play the game. You can't even figure out the simplest thing.... this supposed mode of 'point farming' only came into existence because of armour-whore 'point farmers' like yourself in traditional mode.

The only people I've seen complaining about IO, are armour-whores and jet-whores. For some reason, they're terrified that their points don't mean quite as much anymore, because there's another mode for getting those 'precious' points. It's nothing more than a petulant rant of a little child that sees another child has a different coloured ice-cream.

The game is fine. Get over it.

And ffs, grow up.
                                Denying there is a problem with vBF2 and IO just decreases your credibility.

And again you continue with false claims. I've started 1 thread that mentions IO, and only then in the context of balancing the infantry classes.

Posting your repetitive whining about people wanting game improvements does little but soil what are otherwise meaningful discussions.

You've already made the above false claims in an argument you abandoned and can't finish much less win here... http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showt...07#post1222507

And you've been proven to be a fraudster and a liar here...

You falsely accuse me of lying (saying I had played with you) and accuse me of claiming I'm a better player than you here...

Both of which you're not even man enough to admit being wrong much less even consider an apology.

Furthermore how is my suggestion to give AT 2 X mines or 2 X C4 going to assist me to "whore" armour as you so repeatedly accuse me of doing. Your arguments continue to be non-sensical. You're obviously not even reading the posts, you're just posting your same 2 "points" repetitively on every post that suggests fixing point farming. And even then those "points" are shallow and false, such as "stop whining", and "you're a whore yourself", and above all ffs get a clue man.

Your over emotive rantings and infantile manner are a fitting companion to your poorly construed attempts at retaining your ability to whore maps as desired.

Comment

Working...
                                X