Clear All

Re: PunkBuster, Key Macros and 1.4

Boo scripts and macros!

Comment

Boo RpTheHotrod

Comment

Thanks for proving my point. It is the teams that are getting pwned that cry "macro".
        What's your point? That you use then and pwn other teams? That's wonderful for you, congratualtions. We play and see them but do our best to beat them. Sometimes we do sometimes we don't. The point is that the macros are something that people feel they need to win. If you have to use them to win it says alot about you.

Comment

Originally posted by Harmor
          This is the same problem that MMORPGs had a few years ago. Their solution was just to put hard delays at the server end so no matter how fast you did it at the client, it was never faster than the hard delays.

I think PB should be more worred about all the hacker programs out there than macro spammers. I mean if you do even the simplist search on the net you can find hacks that allow you to see though walls, see everyone on the UAV, or take over as commander (need I site examples?).

How long have those hacks been around? Too long...and its ruining the game.

The only reason why the hacks aren't as prevalent as they are in CS is because the hacks are not free - all the little kiddies can't get ahold of them because they can't use their mommy's credit card.

To me stopping those types of hackers is more important than stopping macro spammers who can be twarted by adding hard delays at the server.

Am I making sense?
          Keep in mind, this quote is coming from a guy who regularily WRITES macros......

Get rid of them. They are unrealistic and create an unfair advantage. There is a member of my clan that I swear is using macros. He dolphin dives all the time, and can dolphin dive FROM THE GROUND. Meaning, he can jump prone so fast, it looks like he's jumping from his belly. Now, you used to be able to do that easily prior to 1.2 patch, but they put a delay in prone to stand, so you can do that fish flopping manuever. But he still does it. Only explanation I can see is some 3rd party program/keyboard.

What does that do for him? Well, it lowers his hitbox, moves it around, makes it hard to kill him. It makes him die less, which in turn keeps him alive longer to score more points. I don't like it at all.

Comment

Why is everyone here so paranoid? It's a simple fact that you don't need macros to do things like pronespam. The G15 isn't even the problem child in the macro world anyway. The problem comes in where people use third party software to make the game to things you cannot do by hand such as an automatic m16 and the TV guided macro. When the program can press buttons faster than you can, that's where I have a problem.

Comment

Why should everyone play this damn game according to[YOUR]<--(anyone other than the developers) opinion of how it should be played?Macro's are lame,macro's this macro's that.Big whoop,you can tickle your keyboard more deftly than the next guy can.This makes you "skilled"? Get a life.Writing the macro's in itself suggests to me there might a bit more "skill" envolved here than rapid sequential finger twitching.Please don't assume this post is directed at anyone in particular.It is not.Just my take on the matter.I don't use macro's,I'm not "skilled " enough to write them nor do own a device that supports them.Play the damn game.

Comment

PB should focus on the cheats first. Then, they should double check that there are no other cheats that they haven't found.

I use a n52, but I only have one macro: Q-left mouse click. To spot the enemy. I could live without it, and I would love to see the bunny-hop macro and TV-targeting macro taken out. The problem is, I don't see how PB could effectively distinguish a n52 software/logitech mouse software macro from regular key presses from that hardware unless they kill the software's process. Any number of keyboards, mice, and other hardware have macro capability. Are you going to render them all useless just to eliminate macros?

Just add the delay to the infantry animation or other areas. PB should stick with cheats and possibly macro-only (not hardware based) cheat software.

Oh, and btw, you can fire the TV missile as a single seater with two to three mouse clicks by setting up your standard mouse controls in the BF2 Helicopter control menu (it's in Tips & Tricks). Is that considered a cheat?

Comment

Ummm U can to dolphin diving without macros

Comment

the "its an advance in technology" argument is probably the most absurd thing I've ever read.

If you can manually operate your keys to do something, thats one thing... if you have your keyboard laid out and you are fast enough with your fingers to accomplish the same thing as a macro, good for you.

However, downloading programs or using programmable hardware to do it for you is no different than downloading any other cheat.

If we all agree that dolphin-diving/prone spamming makes you harder to hit and your ability to do it gives you an advantage in that you take less damage than people NOT doing these things.. whats the difference between that and using one of those crosshair overlays? Or a nametag hack?

It's just technology and innovation progressing the online game world.

AGAIN. Im not talking about people ACTUALLY talented enough press the keys themselves... im talking about the children who download macro programs and such.

Comment

I don't see why people are against macroing. Battlefield, like most FPS shooters, doesn't have much use for them. The ones I can see right off the bat would be automating the cammo rose (there should be a way to do this anyway, I'd love to bind a key to just roger that or negative) and solo TVing, but that's about it.

Dolphin diving shouldn't be macro'd because those who do it need to change up to the timing to make it so they hit crouch just as they land. A macro will only work optimally on flat ground, which I guess is okay if all you play is city maps but it's still better to know how to do it yourself anyway, as you have more control that way.

I heard there was a macro to rapidly spam the DAO, but never seen it and dont see the need for it since two shots will kill anyone up close anyway. I assume everyone can doubleclick.

Personally, the only macros I have are on my Joystick, for CTRL+ALT+UP and CTRL+ALT+DOWN for global winamp keys. But then, the very same software that I also use to just make it so my trigger acts as if I clicked mouse1 and one of the hats when I push it up brings about the com rose. I also have a lot of the keys mapped to keyboard keys.

I also have a G15, which has the capacity to create macros (had some gear swap macros on it for WoW). Would I get kicked just for running the software?

Dolphin diving can be done easily without macros. With the change from prone->crouch dolphin diving should be dealt with anyway.

I also advocate a delay from anything->prone though, because seriously, you shouldn't be able to dive to the floor without some momentary loss of control (namely while you're falling, spinning etc that the character model does).

But oh well.

Originally posted by Consultant01
                      the "its an advance in technology" argument is probably the most absurd thing I've ever read.

If you can manually operate your keys to do something, thats one thing... if you have your keyboard laid out and you are fast enough with your fingers to accomplish the same thing as a macro, good for you.

However, downloading programs or using programmable hardware to do it for you is no different than downloading any other cheat.

If we all agree that dolphin-diving/prone spamming makes you harder to hit and your ability to do it gives you an advantage in that you take less damage than people NOT doing these things.. whats the difference between that and using one of those crosshair overlays? Or a nametag hack?

It's just technology and innovation progressing the online game world.

AGAIN. Im not talking about people ACTUALLY talented enough press the keys themselves... im talking about the children who download macro programs and such.
                      Anyone can prone spam/dolphin dive, its EASY. If you can't do it yourself you shouldn't be playing an FPS.

It takes about as much time to master as it does to get a program and set one for yourself.

To me, you gain no advantage by this. You could have done it anyway. The only time macros give an advantage is when you program something that's not humanly possible, and since Battlefield 2 doesn't have many macro examples of that (dolphin diving/prone spamming, again, are easy to do because of how prone works in this game) I'm going to use WoW.

In WoW, I can have a macro that automatically filters through all enemy targets and picks the one with lowest health and then cast an instant spell. Better--I can pick through enemy targets and stop on the lowest health or the first one with health below a certain point where my spell is gauarenteed to kill. That is an unfair advantage. Except its not in WoW, since I can do that all in their in-game scripting language which theoretically anyone could do if they just bothered to learn how.

Macroing prone spamming/dolphin diving is just being lazy, and doesn't provide any real advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkPepe
                        Also Stuart told us. about new changes on 1.4 patch. This will probably kill a lot of players using cheats or scripts to "improve" their gameplay.
                        He's coming to your house.. Macros users = :dead:

Comment

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
                          If PB detects joytokey or whatever the hell is being used, you bet it will stop you dead in your tracks.
                          If that's what they're planning to do (block Joytokey) then I'm done with this game. Joytokey does nothing to give you an advantage over someone else. Next they'll block teamspeak and teamspeak overlay because that gives an unfair advantage. Talking to more than 5 other people has got to be leading to people getting kills they shouldn't get. They'll probably block Logigamer too because heaven forbid somebody binds key commands to their mouse with 3rd party software instead of their shi**y in-game control options.

If they block joytokey or any other program I just mentioned, it will be the next hack you can buy on the internet and I for one would certainly think about doing so. When this happens PB still won't be able to do anything about it b/c they can't even figure out the commander hack.

Prohibitng the use of these programs is a slippery slope that gets them nowhere. I don't know why everyone hasn't learned that when you ***** about something that doesn't need to get fixed, EA/Dice will go overboard and totally redo the whole dynamics of the game. This process will introduce new bugs and make the game worse than it was before you whined. They never should have given in the first time people whined about anything and I hope they never do again.

Comment

Macro users are cheaters. They are using software like a user would use to see through walls, or have colored skins. Cheating is cheating. Im glad that this is an issue now and I can't wait to hear all the noobs who can't move thier fingers fast enough, cry like little girls!

Comment

If we can't make DICE set a proper delay between stances, it would be nice to at least see PB kicking for the use of macros.

Of course you can groundhump/dolphindive without macros, but it's not that easy to press the directional buttons, tap crouch+prone with good timing and aim at the same time. You'll get tired after a while.

If somehow this idea doesn't get enough support (though, from what I see, people want macro users kicked), make it at least a server variable, so it would be up to the admins whether to set PB to kick or not for macros. I'm sure all BF2 leagues/ladders would force clans to turn it on during clanmatches.

As usual, when I take part in a discussion about this, let me present this video: http://media.putfile.com/Top-Notch-Infantry-Combat

We don't want this, do we?

Comment

Originally posted by {HHx}b14ze
                                Macro users are cheaters. They are using software like a user would use to see through walls, or have colored skins. Cheating is cheating. Im glad that this is an issue now and I can't wait to hear all the noobs who can't move thier fingers fast enough, cry like little girls!
                                So my

- Switch to medic bag
                                - Toss one bag
                                - Switch back to primary weapon

macro for my Nostromo is the same as someone elses

No Sky
                                Unlimited Visability
                                AutoAim
                                Colored Skin
                                MapHack
                                Drop Artillery
                                Drop Supplies
                                Drop Vehicle
                                Switch Teams
                                Boot Commander
                                etc...??

Well then I have no worries from PB. If they can't stop the people who edit the executables and memory locations, there's no way they can stop me from tossing medic bags with one keystroke.

Comment

Working...
                                X