No announcement yet.

The Official Framerate problem thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Official Framerate problem thread.

On the dem/original bf2 i can get almost 40 fps on oman with a geforce 5200 fx, but now, with patch 1.3/1.4, it can barely go above 20.

Comment

I have the following setup:
      Intel 865PE Mobo with P4 2.4Ghz
      X850Pro AGP O/C with 16 pipelines open and running at 520 GPU/600 Mem
      X-Fi Xtrememusic
      2 Gig PC 3200 Ram
      160Gig & 40 Hard drive
      x16 DVD
      XPPro
      I know my CPU is my current bottleneck, but i get just under 4900 in 3DMark '05
      I have everything super tuned for runing BF2, i.e. always defragged, all useless services switched off, all useless processes killed, Performance monitoring turned off, pb_sleep set to 500, all GFX settings at medium except geometry at high, resolution at 1280 x 960 and i cant play 64 player maps at all, i get around 15 frames a second( probably cpu here though ), VOIP enabled and sound at ultra high

Playing on around 32 player maps i get on average 30FPS( can drop to 20FPS when chaos ensues ), i used to get around 45 FPS average on 1.2 version

I just bought a new AMD 4200+ Dual core and im getting an ASRock mobo( i know not really great but i dont want to get rid of my GFX card just yet ), but im hoping ill at least get a performance improvement and be able to play on 64player maps?( but mabye not, lol )

I played original BF2 with no patched recently and framerate was slightly better but applying 1.2 was a lot fater and slower again with 1.3, i havnt played regular maps with enough players to have an opinion on 1.4 but id guess its worse again

Comment

Slight decrease in FPS for me.

Comment

I voted slight because I played 1.00, 1.03, and then 1.3. I missed a big chunk of time. I also installed some extra RAM so that has helped minimize the damage of bad patching.

My specs aren't that great, but I've managed to run high video settings (except for lighting and shadows) with the extra RAM.

I agree with Met. that there have been huge lag spikes, almost like brown-outs or black-outs. Last night I quit one game because I figured their server was jacked. The next server I joined had the same problem. The game was extremely jumpy, and it took about 1 sec. to respond when I shot or switched weapons. Both times my ping was around ~30-50ms, when not spiking to god-knows-what.

[wild accusation]Dice/EA are junking the netcode so that everyone quits BF2 and buys 2142 (or the better game, ET:QW, imho). [/wild accusation]

May the light of reason and free inquiry open your eyes to reality.

Comment

SLANTED

way to keep a constant, thats the most rigged test/poll i have ever seen

1.you should of used the same map for all 3 sizes
            2.test on 1.03, 1.12 and 1.3
            3.same number of people
            4.similar pings
            5.screenshots in the same places

this proves nothing other than that you get better fps looking at the sky with no body around, then with people fighing on 8 on 8 mashturr than you do fighting on a 64 player sharqi, shaqi is an entirly different map than mashtuur

ill do a better test when i get home

Comment

The BF2 engine is one sad piece of software. The Source engine and Unreal engine both make BF2 look primitive. The frames suck because it poorly utilizes hardware and has all sorts of bugs that suck out performance.

I can run the Source engine on a game like HL:2 with every setting maxed out, full reflections, full HDR lighting, max antialiasing, max AS filtering at a 1920x1200 resolution (native widescreen support, btw) with silky smooth 60+ FPS with absolutely no slow downs. Battlefield 2 on the other hand, I've got the same 1920x1200 resolution (hacked widescreen support that chops off top and bottom of the image), medium settings, no AA, no AS filtering, and the framerates are just barely at acceptable levels. Then when certain stuff happens like smoke grenades, APC firing at the ground close ect.. the framerates drop the unacceptable levels.

The same thing with ping. Battlefield 2 servers pings SUCK, most servers ping well over 100+ on my super fast 8 megabit line with only a few servers in the acceptable 40-90 range. Again, Source dominates BF2 pingwise with many more servers in the magical 20-60 range.

Battlefield series is a beautiful game concept (minus the retarded IO mode they're creating), but is sadly flawed by the crappy engine they created in house. They should've just bought the rights to use the Unreal or Source engine and built the awesome game on top of that.

Comment

I would certainly like to see a more optimized game engine.

It still drives me crazy seeing the terrain geometry 'melt' as you get closer.

It still drives me crazy seeing the FPS drop when smoke or arty goes off.

With my new rig, my framerates are finally decent...but I should not have had to spend a fortune for that.

Comment

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
                  Oh my god... another thing. I... and apparentely everyone else, has been getting huge ping spikes up to ~360 and random lagginess, that has nothing to do with your computer or ISP.. or router or anything else. It's BF2.

Some days it doesn't happen, other days, it's almost unplayable. It happens at both of my houses, with different computers, and different ISP's.

On top of that, it happens to all of the people i'm on ventrilo with, and also I have asked random people and it happens to them too.

So yeah.. I can't even run FRAPS good anymore. And I was thinking it was my computer. But you are completely right, it is these **** patches causing the problem. They may have fixed CTD, but there are SO many major glitches/bugs/performance drops.... etc out there that need to be fixed it's not even funny.

Here's an example. I used to run EVERYTHING on high, but with AA on X4. I used to get 70-100 fps way back when.

NOW, I run half the stuff on medium, some on low, and geometry and something else on high.. NO AA.

Depending on the map.. like, city maps, I get 30-60 avg, wake I am still high at 70-100, big open maps with alot of things like, kubra, fushe, daqing... etc. I get 20-40... almost unplayable.
                  It's unplayable for me now. I literally cannot play 1.3 using the same hardware. All I could do now is listen to people here describe BF2 gaming sessions. I can't experience them.

Comment

Since 1.3 I get random in-game freeze-ups and choppiness. Not only when the level is still loading, but even when it's almost finished being played. This started happening with 1.3 - and I've formatted my HD since then and re-installed drivers. Same thing.
                    AMD FX-55
                    2 gig corsair

nvidia 6800 ULTRA
                    Soundblaster audigy 2

Comment

Yeah I used to have alot of my stuff at HIGH while running smoothly at 60FPS but after 1.2 it completely dropped to 20.

Comment

i guess im the lucky SOB of the group cuz i still run all settings at high (exept for dynamics and lighting) and AA at x4. I have always run these settings ever since the game came out and i get constant 70+ fps in 32 player maps and 50-75 in 64 player maps. Then again i'm a performance freak. I'm always optimizing my system (defragging, tuning my OS settings for performance, latest drivers on everything).

You might want to stop by www.tweakguides.com for all your tweaking needs. (many game improving guides and system guides)

Comment

great thread

Comment

Originally posted by ImgSunscreen
                            Since 1.3 I get random in-game freeze-ups and choppiness. Not only when the level is still loading, but even when it's almost finished being played. This started happening with 1.3 - and I've formatted my HD since then and re-installed drivers. Same thing.
                            AMD FX-55
                            2 gig corsair

nvidia 6800 ULTRA
                            Soundblaster audigy 2
                            Well, we both have the 6800 Ultra.

(I think) :hmm:

I have a 6800 Ultra Go (256MB) on a Dell laptop with 2GB.

But I doubt that's the problem. See, I ran perfect prior to 1.3. Sure, I saw the red tag bug and other oddities and hated the crappy AA and all that jazz, but the game was playable.

For the record, the box is a Dell XPS Gen 2 bought in Winter 2005.

But I could have been on 1980s hardware and it wouldn't matter. It was perfect on this hardware. Then came 1.3. And that was the only thing to change. One variable.

Comment

It is truly sad when I can run Elder Scrolls: Oblivion on settings nearly twice that of BF2 and still get 15-30 fps lower framerates on BF2. Simply put, Bethesda Softworks has a great, refined engine, BF2 does not.

EDIT: Yeah, I know its not an FPS, but the point is still valid.

Comment

I concur with DakotaDoc64 that the problem started just after SF came out and Patch 1.12. I used to play with all setting on high and 4x AA, but now I have to lower some setting and have 0x AA. My FPS originally would dip no lower than 30-35fps in the heaviest of battle but average around 60-70fps. Now I average around 30fps and in heavy combat I drop down in the low teens.

ATI X800XT
                                AMD 3200 W/ 2 gig ram.

Comment

Working...
                                X