Angry with the M95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Angry with the M95

I know what you mean about hit detection and the M95, though, and it's not an M95-only thing. I played some rounds yesterday that were, for a change, lag-free (for the most part...occasional hiccup now and then) and what a difference it makes. Sniper rifles go from being frustrating one-shot wusses to killing machines, although I use the L96 (or M24 if I'm US) more than the M95. But I was able to make those quick scope-up/shoot/kill shots and even hit targets at a full sprint because there was no lag. Sounds to me more like you were having a problem with lag than you were the M95. I think hit detection errors and lag hurt snipers/sniper rifles more than anything else simply because snipers rely on one clean bullet and if it doesn't hit due to packet loss/lag you notice it right away, whereas with ARs or carbines you're either spewing out loads of bullets on full auto so if one doesn't register you won't even notice or you're going at long range and if you miss you just chalk it up to deviation. When you're lag-free sniper is an insanely fun class to play, even with the M95.

~Wolfgang

Comment

I have used all the sniper rifles and I must say they all have their uses depending on the map and the situation.The M95 is by far superior at long range.To date my best shot with the M95 is 393 meters.The best I have acheived with the L96 is 312 meters.I use the SVD for close to mid range fighting.You can't beat it for those chaotic urban battles.I rarely use the M24 any more because quite frankly,it does'nt seem to fit most situations I find myself in.Lag has a great deal to do with how well the sniper class performs.I choose servers with a 50 ping or less when I feel like scoping a few heads.Even tho I acheived expert sniper sometime ago I still enjoy making those impossible shots.Chopper pilots beware.If you like hovering over a cp and I can see you,Im gonna pop your head like a mellon.

Comment

Silly question, and the answer may be obvious, but how do you know how far away your target is? I've never really had a reason to know, as I'm usually "If I can see it, I can kill it." But I see a lot of sniper advice "At 100m or less do this..." "Beyond 250m do this..." So is there some way to get an exact number?

Comment

Originally posted by cantina_fly
          Silly question, and the answer may be obvious, but how do you know how far away your target is? I've never really had a reason to know, as I'm usually "If I can see it, I can kill it." But I see a lot of sniper advice "At 100m or less do this..." "Beyond 250m do this..." So is there some way to get an exact number?
          Im not quite sure myself, but under flags you usually get a meter reading of the distance, so you can use that as a rough guide i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Luftwaffe989
            I rank the SVD as the lowest, absolute sh*t crosshairs. M95 is king simply because of the fact that I can nail a J-10 whore before he even gets off of the ground. But hit detection sucks now. At least, for long range. And if anything, the M95 should be very, very accurate.

Edit: My net connection has never gave me any problems, red.
            amen! that svd...has the worst crosshairs

Comment

I'm beginning to think it is a connection problem now. I guess I haven't noticed because I'm used to choppy connections. I don't have a low-end machine, 3 Ghz processor, 1024 Mb of ram, Geforce 7800GT blah blah blah. I have Verizon DSL which sucks, but has never given me horrible problems. I logged onto a server that was stationed near my house that had 16 people. It was so smooth it was scary. I went 50+ kills and less than 20 deaths. I'm not such a noob sniper, I can shoot a running person in the head 75% of the time...I guess that's somewhat good right?

Comment

Patch 1.3 could also have something to do with it. It made a lot of servers (and clients) laggy and unstable.

As for finding the distance to your target, I asked Jemme the same question since he keeps track of his kills by distance, and he said what he does is once he makes himself squad leader, then puts his crosshairs on the target so their tag pops up, then issues an order (like move here, attack here, etc.) and it shows the distance between yourself and the spot you just designated which, if it's on your target, shows the distance of your kill (if you make the kill that is). I believe that was the method he described, anyway.

I believe you can also spot your target normally, then bring up your map and measure the distance using a ruler, where a certain amount of inches equals a certain amount of in-game distance.

~Wolfgang

Comment

anyone here good a hip shooting with your sniper rifle.....every now and then I get lucky...I have hip shot kills with m95 but most come with svd

Comment

i got my first helo kill with my m95 a few hours ago =)

map was oman and i managed to sneak in enemy airbase, near the heliport.
                    i take position and i see a couple o peeps waiting. so i says to myself "wth, ill try sniping em when theyre on the heli"
                    heli spawns they get in. i wait a few seconds and right before the tires leave the ground i fire and driver dies then heli goes down....gunners like "OMGWTF!" then i keep doing that for a few minutes till i get knifed in the back....lol. it was a good moment.

Comment

It's hard to truly be 'good' at hip shooting with the snipers because their deviation when not zoomed is atrocious (much like the LMGs' deviation when not prone). It's mostly luck whether it hits or not.

~Wolfgang

Comment

i won't say sniper isn't a team player.. i believe their purpose is to def the flag (just hide somewhere high and wait for enemy to come cap ur flags and take em out)

also serves as a radar.... spotting enemies

Comment

I am new to the sniper, and took the 2nd unlock just cause I didn't want the jackhammer.

As I've found thus far, lag will kill your aim every time, all the time.

I still suck at sniping, and half the time I'm killed I'm trying to remember to move after a kill that I end up being shot trying to sprint to my next hidey hole. As a primary groundpounder, I too was guilty of thinking the sniper was a useless, non-team oriented player who lurked in the shadows and didn't help the cause.

playing sniper changed my view of it. give it a real try and you will say the same thing.

Comment

Sniping is easy to me since its my main kit. Practice is the key, M95 I don't reccommend unless you plan on sniping people out of Helos, Jets, or Cars. Best sniper rifle thats in BF2 now is the L96A1. Here are my rankings for all sniper rifles that I reccomend.

1st* L96A1
                            2nd* SVD
                            3rd* Type-88
                            4th* M95
                            5th* M24

Comment

^Out of curiosity, how come the L96 ranks the best and the M24, which is identical in every way except reload time and sound, is ranked the worst?

BTW, the Type-85 is an SMG, so you must be good at sniping if you can do it with that thing.

~Wolfgang

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfgang Abenteuer
                                ^Out of curiosity, how come the L96 ranks the best and the M24, which is identical in every way except reload time and sound, is ranked the worst?

BTW, the Type-85 is an SMG, so you must be good at sniping if you can do it with that thing.

~Wolfgang
                                I'm sorry, Type-88. Stop being a jackass.

Comment

Working...
                                X