X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sloi sauce
    Guest replied
    Re: Lighting setting: LOW, a cheat!?

It's just a way for the engine to give some of the "Basic Requirements" crowd a bit more performance. In all honesty, I don't see what the big deal is: just put your lighting on LOW if you're so concerned about having an even playing field.

Leave a comment:

• JTF2_darkloop
    Guest replied

definately a cheat

umm.. no.
    think about it
    how is that cheating

Leave a comment:

• disfigured
    replied

Chimming in..........

It can't possibly be a cheat. By definition alone. A cheat would have to be something standard that gives everyone an advantage over everyone else (to some extent) , who is not using "the cheat". So those who can't display advanced lighting effects are automatically cheating? Those who can display them, even though graphics have never fallen into the realm of exploit or a league standard, are cheating if they don't turn them off?

It doesn't add up.

I took them off for a while. BF2 has notoriously hign ends of the spectrum when it comes to lighting. Dark is pitch black and light is blinding sometimes. At least with my rig and the drivers I've been using that has been the case. I think it is a disadvantage to leaving them on high. Even if this is the case community wide, turning them down, or no being able to use them, is really a stretch when describing something as a cheat.

I recently put them back on and had forgot how good things look with "maxed" lighting effects (in all categories). It affects other aspects of graphics, not only the corners of dark rooms.

Leave a comment:

• imported_funk3h
    Guest replied

Hehe, low-meduim GFX ftw.

Leave a comment:

• cliffro
    Guest replied

I'm in a clan too, but never have i been asked to lower my settings for an advantage in any game we play competitively(just one, AA). I started playing PC games back in 98 and the reason for switching was the superior graphics, so i will not reduce the quality for an edge. I'd rather die in an awesome enviroment then kill in a dull one

Leave a comment:

• BulletToothTony
    Guest replied

I would like to make a point. I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if it has been said before. I play on mostly low settings. I have played on medium to high. When I want 20 fps I do. Low gives me 50 fps. But my point is this. I think high has its advantages too. Like shadows. The few times I have played with them on. I see peoples shadows around corners before I see them. That helps. I see peoples shadows on the ground that are on a roof above me. That helps. With effects. On high I see the smoke trail from the m203 and know where it came from. That helps. So I think the door swings both ways. Just depends on the situation. And if you want fair. Go compete in the real world. Sports are one of the few places where you find a level playing field. Online it will never happen. Only a LAN party were everyone has the same PC and the same length of cord to the server will it come close to a level playing field.

Leave a comment:

• solofowaffles
    replied

so u guys dont like the lighting well i do(i saw it ata friends house)and because i liked it so much ill give u my uber high rig for one of urs,it comes with 512 mb of ram!a nvidia 5500 fx!!!!(pci)and it is uber 1337.

Leave a comment:

• DOGGiE52
    replied

Originally posted by DAD_23
    Not a cheat, IMO
    The thing is many HAVE to use the low setting as it is a big system hog.
    This being the case, if you want to even the playing field out or your a big stat Whore, yes you have to use low setting.
    I personally don't use the low setting because my system is pimp and the low setting looks lame.
    Well I have thought of this too, and I actually think I'll start using lightning off and all other on, because in the daytime when the sun shines in, it's often hard to see your opponent.

Leave a comment:

• machstem
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Revoluti0n
    What are you gonna do? Not everyone has SLi Nvidia 7900 GTX's
    I have one 7800GT 256mb and I can have everything to full settings, including 4xaa, AND I crank up the setting even more by pushing the AA to 8xaa on my nvidia videocard. You definitely don't need SLi to play this game on everything HIGH 1280x1024

As for the low graphic settings, I always know who has low settings..by how well they see me....try playing POE2 with your graphic settings set to the highest, it's even more difficult considering the brush and other high obstacles. It's so damn difficult to see infantry some days, but I manage and get by!

PEACE

Originally posted by Dearmad
    Clans... bring out the best in people.
    I was JUST going to say something about that.

Can't commit to an enjoyable game, it has to be a competitive game..

Oh well, to each their own.

PEACE

Leave a comment:

• LahLahSr
    Guest replied

The bigger issue here is: if people, who own mega-rigs, turn down their settings to get that comparative competitive edge - what else are they willing to do to get ahead?
    Spending hundreds of hours, looking at a game that's been artificially reduced in visual quality just to get a possible advantage, tells you something about a persons' priorities and level of obessiveness...

...chalk another one up to the stats...

Cheers :-)

Leave a comment:

• Chevy-SS
    replied

Originally posted by parish

I know a bunch of people that have been playing since the game came out and suck. What's your point in mentioning that? Maybe you suck too?

Please, spare me your arrogant pontification. LOL, it's pompous attitudes like yours that suck. Get over yourself, geez. LOLOLOL

And oh, BTW, some people try to lead normal lives, working and such. We don't have 8 hours a day to play the game.

My guess is: you look something like this kid when you play BF2. Check out the vid and see if it's kinda how you act: http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=9575
    The vid is funny as Hell, btw. I suggest everyone watch it.

One final point, when I used to play online games a LOT (maybe ten years ago), it was Mechwarrior. I did eventually become one of the best there, clan leader and all that crap. Played every night 2 or 3 hours or more. It took a lot of time and practice, and then, after everyone started hex editing the game file, well, it took some good, clever cheating to remain on the top of the heap, heheheh. Towards the end of the Mechwarrior run, I would estimate that ALL of the top players were cheating. It was hilarious............ I know for a fact some of this is going on in BF2 (not to the extent of Mechwarrior), but it still renders all scoring and stats meaningless, IMHO..............

Parish, you are probably a great player, I just like to rev people up and you get revved pretty easy, heheh

peace

-

Leave a comment:

• DesertFalcon
    replied

i have all my settings on low

Leave a comment:

• Gun slinger
    Guest replied

only the high settings for me as well, I didnt spend a ton of money on a custom built PC to NOT enjoy the great graphics

Leave a comment:

• Major Culo
    Guest replied

Turning my performance down? I dont think so. That would be like disengaging the A/C, power steering,radio,..etc, just so it does not draw from the engine of my Corvette so that I could beat someone. Naaahh.

Life is about competiveness and beating you while I am looking good!

Leave a comment:

• parish
    Guest replied

Originally posted by Chevy-SS
    OK, OK, so you're one of the all-time greatest gamers in the known universe. But you get down on someone for playing KP server, and you got 317 points in one game? How? I been playing almost since game came out and I never saw anyone get that many points in a game. I don't do the KP thing though.......

-
    I Never said I was great and I don't do KP servers. There are many better players out there than I. I have scored well over 100 on over 18 maps. I have scored almost 200 on 4 maps, over 200 on 2 and over 300 on 1. If my high scores were only on one map, you might have had a leg to stand on, but since I score high on almost all the maps your argument is moot. My higest scoring round was on 64 sized Karkand playing on an official EA server.

The fact that you can't understand how someone would get near 300 would only bolster my defense that you are not good enough to understand. Ask how many guys around here have broke 300 and you might be suprised. There are a bunch well over 400 around here.

I know a bunch of people that have been playing since the game came out and suck. What's your point in mentioning that? Maybe you suck too?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X