No announcement yet.

Infantry only mode, worst idea ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Infantry only mode, worst idea ever.

personally, i got bf2 coz of the concept that i could go on foot, kill some enemies. hop in a jeep run over to the other side of teh map. get out, grab a tank, shoot the helicopter taking off and steal the enemy jet then bailing out, landing on a roof and sniping the enemy soldiers till i get artied by enemy comm.

i still havent tried IO mode yet since its still beta. but changing the core gameplay elements that made battlefield 2 awesome is indeed a bad idea. IMHO

Comment

Im going to attempt to put all of this into context to filter out all the whiners and flamers;

To me there seems to be 3 camps here and they are as follows:

1) The people who dont want infantry only. They clearly like using vehicles which is fine. But some of us dont. The people in this camp seem to completely forget THAT THEY DONT HAVE TO PLAY THIS GAME MODE. Your servers full of vehicles users WONT just die, they will still keep going strong precisely BECAUSE you like using vehicles. And please, be mature enough to avoid the 'Go Play Counterstrike' comments. CS and BF2 are two completely different games, with different techniques for infantry play. The ONLY thing CS and BF2 have in common is that they are FPS, nothing else.

2) The people who DO want infantry only, but dont want all the extra changes that have come with it. Obviously DICE feel the need to alter the balance somehow, for game longevity or Ranked balances reason. Whatever they are, i personally dont think this needed doing and would prefer to see BF2 remain as it is, simply with the vehicles removed.

3) The people who DO want infantry only, and like all the extra changes for whatver reason.

The latter two groups also seem to fall into 2 Sub Groups they are:

a) Those who want IO ranked.

b) Thos who DONT want IO ranked.

I fall into category A, not because i care about points, but because i want to see our servers as full as possible as often as possible. The sad fact is that not many people play unranked servers and Unranked servers will sit empty more than ranked ones.

Comment

I would be no 2 thereon your list.

I think IO is a good idea, lots of people asked for it and DICE delivered, ie they listened to the community. However I think you will find 90%+ of the people who wanna play infantry only don't like the way it is implemented. That is the only problem I see with it. Keep it the same as BF2 is without vehicles, without arty. Seems simple enough to me.

As usual PW being over-dramatic. It will hardly ruin BF2. Its a game mode and nobody is forcing you to play it. Will it be a medic whore paradise, yes it probably will but so is any of the city maps now.

Look I'm a vehicle whore myself, namely a heli whore but hey, I'm still going to mix it up now and then and play some IO. Our server will still run all maps but if we can mix game modes we will throw in an IO map or 2 as well. BF2 vehicle whoring is not going to disappear, you and I both know that because we will still whore vehicles like before. It just adds another option for people to play and really you should be thanking DICE because there will be less noobs who want to try and use vehicles like heli's and planes when they have no idea, they will stick to IO only and leave the skilled players who can use vehicles, to whore all we like.

As long as they change how the IO only is going to work then I don't see any probs with it. I couldn't care less if people rack up big scores, playing as a medic on IO servers, stats mean **** to me only as a means to get unlocks and when you have all your unlocks then who cares about stats?

Comment

Adding more hitpoints? Totally unnessacary, all they needed to do was take out the vehicles, thats it!

My clan play Infantry Only clan matches and they are amazing, no UAV, no Arty, No Vehicles..PURE BLISS! But now I can see infantry only being absolutely horrible to play

Comment

Originally posted by PlaneWhore
            Sorry, engineers shotgun is nothing special. AK47 and G36E both outshine it. Same deal for the DAO-12 and while it does have plenty of stopping power at point blank ranges, its reload time is horrible. So while you're reloading a medic can drop down a pack back to full health, beat your reload and then gun you down. Of course forget about using those guns for any thing more than point blank spray and pray tactics because when the game turns in to an artillery/vehicle free campfest and you'll be SOL trying to kill with that DAO-12.

Snipers will continue to be worthless, and in fact even more so now that the claymores don't one shot kill players. Plus the only way they ever managed to kill someone like me normally is to kill me with a headshot, as a one shot kill will no longer be possible I would effectively be immune to snipers.

SpecOps C4 same deal. The only thing you can do is set up a trap, because only way to use C4 in an offensive fashion is throw it with a macro (which DICE claims they'll be fixing/nerfing). So scratch that class out completely.

Bottom line is you'd have to be crazy to play anything other than a medic in 1.4, unless of course you're some kind of a masochist.

The reason this concerns me, is people WILL play infantry only simply because of the massive score that can be accumulated with little or no skill required (BF2 folks seem to be obsessed with points/score/rank ect.). The other servers will empty out leaving those with common sense who care little about scores without a decent server to play on, who will then quit. Eventually those infantry only people will realize how crap infantry only is at which point it'll be too late as the BF2 population has evaporated right out from under their noses, they'll get bored and quit too. Game dead, GG DICE. Same sort of thing that happens in mini version when these crap expansions get released.

Seen it plenty of times, decisions like this by designers can kill games. Hmm, sounds like a great conspiracy in fact. DICE purposefully killing this game off with a horrible patch in order to drive players to the new BF2142 which will be released shorty thereafter. Genius I must say.

Don't write this off as vehicle whore propaganda either. I am a very skilled medic player and in fact for every 1 round I've played in a plane, I've played 2 as a medic (and I love every minute of it). I'm as unbiased as they come, and with real concerns of the consequences of such a horrible patch on the game I enjoy to play.

What the hell is wrong with u people? Must u tell everyone in the world how u feel about this crap? EVERYONE knows dice f***ed everything up...why do u keep talking about it? Go play CS then...BF2 is the only choice I have, but I enjoy it so its all good, even on bad days and my game crashes repeatedly, I don't have the temper u guys have about something that doenst even exist yet...sounds to me that whiners need anger management "longer patience 101"

Comment

Why are all you people whining? It's a bloody beta for christs sakes, you will all have the chance to change it when EA release the full thing. Whinigng about it & saying its outright **** is not going to get EA/DICE to pay attention, you are just going to have most people simply right you off as a whiner.

Honestly get a grip people it just a friggin beta

Comment

I'd love if they implemented infantry only servers as an UNRANKED option only. Those servers would be empty. It doesn't matter if I'm in a tank or playing as a medic, including vehicles and non-neutered commanders make for a better game regardless if I'm in one or not. If DICE implemented this as an UNRANKED only option they'd see it fail horribly. Why cater to stat padders and feel it's necessary to play a perverted and warped version of BF2? Look at the popularity of knife & pistol servers.. they can't ban them fast enough, these are the same stat padding nitwits you'll see on infantry only servers.

To summarize:

Unranked infantry only servers would be a failure regardless if it was vanilla BF2 without vehicles/commanders or had extra modifications (more HP ect.). Of course DICE would never be stupid enough to make this an unranked option because it'd cost them greenbacks in the form of server rentals.

Ranked infantry only servers will be a huge success regardless if it's vanilla or has extra modification. What is different? Ranked points.

That's the bottom line, and a rather disgusting one at that and goes totally against the real spirit of FPS gaming. Leave it to DICE to turn an FPS in to an MMORPG with a dangle the carrot philosophy.

edit:

And one last comment, for the people who are genuine and want a pure infantry experience plenty of other FPS will fit the bill much better than Battlefield 2 every will, patch or not. I also in some circumstances cannot blame you. On maps like Dalian Plant, Dragon Valley, and Wake 2007 life for the infantry on the U.S. team is usually pretty rough. The solution however does not exist on the ground, but rather in the air. Fix the J-10 and balance the aircraft and you'll see Chinese air maps in a whole new light.

Comment

I'd love if they implemented infantry only servers as an UNRANKED option only. Those servers would be empty. It doesn't matter if I'm in a tank or playing as a medic, including vehicles and non-neutered commanders make for a better game regardless if I'm in one or not. If DICE implemented this as an UNRANKED only option they'd see it fail horribly. Why cater to stat padders and feel it's necessary to play a perverted and warped version of BF2? Look at the popularity of knife & pistol servers.. they can't ban them fast enough, these are the same stat padding nitwits you'll see on infantry only servers.

To summarize:

Unranked infantry only servers would be a failure regardless if it was vanilla BF2 without vehicles/commanders or had extra modifications (more HP ect.). Of course DICE would never be stupid enough to make this an unranked option because it'd cost them greenbacks in the form of server rentals.

Ranked infantry only servers will be a huge success regardless if it's vanilla or has extra modification. What is different? Ranked points.

That's the bottom line, and a rather disgusting one at that and goes totally against the real spirit of FPS gaming. Leave it to DICE to turn an FPS in to an MMORPG with a dangle the carrot philosophy.

Dont be so ignorant.

I would play on IO servers, the same as i play on City maps servers. I couldnt give a monkeys about stats or fictional medals.

IO servers and City maps servers are far superioir in terms of Teamwork (which comes with an element of fun) than a normal server where one guy happily flys round in his jet all round ignoring any requests of his squad mates. It may surprise you to learn that there are a large number of us who play BF2 for the teamwork and freindship it produces, THESE are the type of people who want IO. The stat padders will stay on their Knife Pistol Servers simple because it is easier.

Comment

Originally posted by hebrewhammer14
                    it would have been good with no increased health or any of that bs, all they had to do was take out cars (and commander maybe) but they managed to screw that up too, congrats dice, beginer coders could fix this game better than you
                    DICE you idiots no increased health crap thats true about the sniper JUST REMOVE CARS AND TOGGLE arty on/off ,

i warn you now dont ruin a decent game . diablo2 patch 1.10 did it with changing major features like this ... DO NOT DO It

you say you listen to the community, rubbish most people here dont want gameplay changed they simply want official mod for infantry only like we have in servers now where they have an admin that kicks for cars and commander.

Comment

Like I said, don't let the PlaneWhore nickname fool you. I was fragging people in Quake rocket arena while you were still in diapers.

I've played with plenty of people on these forums, and as they can attest to, I'm excellent at playing infantry, and if you doubt these people and myself, you can catch me playing medic on StrafeRight 24/7 City Maps (I'll be the medic at the top of the scoreboard with a 5:1 infantry KDR). Sorry I had to be so blunt but I'm tired of being accused of being nothing more than a "PlaneWhore". I'm speaking more from my infantry side than anything, but sure my love of airplanes comes in to it to. This mode is flat out bad for everybody, and it doesn't matter if you're a heliwhore, infantrywhore, armorwhore, planewhore, or all four.

edit: that fact me and Colony made nearly identical posts is sort of creepy.
                      Make up your mind, you enjoy playing infantry or you don't, why on earth would you be playing on a 24/7 City Maps server when you could be playing Countersrike instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Deliverance
                        Dont be so ignorant.

I would play on IO servers, the same as i play on City maps servers. I couldnt give a monkeys about stats or fictional medals.

IO servers and City maps servers are far superioir in terms of Teamwork (which comes with an element of fun) than a normal server where one guy happily flys round in his jet all round ignoring any requests of his squad mates. It may surprise you to learn that there are a large number of us who play BF2 for the teamwork and freindship it produces, THESE are the type of people who want IO. The stat padders will stay on their Knife Pistol Servers simple because it is easier.
                        Some players can't handle flying a jet and managing the teamwork aspect, it's too much for their tiny brains to handle. I manage teamwork quite well when I'm flying a jet, spending a good chunk of my time striking targets such as tanks spotted by infantry who are attempting to advance to the next flag. Stereotyping is very rarely a good thing Deliverance.

If you want a stereotype that is often true, City Maps. Often synonymous with grenade spamming, claymore spamming, and stat padding. Check what server any of the top ranking players play the most. It's Karkand. Why is it Karkand? Well I'll leave you to figure that one out.

Just be glad some people (like me) care more about game balance and the overall health of the particular game as a whole rather than fictional medals and points. Because if not for individuals like me, you'd be seeing crap Knife and Pistol as a option in 1.5.

Everyone has a choice when to and not to raise their voices, but in the end it's DICE that decides. I'm just doing my part to steer them in the right direction, and you can't fault me for that.

Originally posted by Dangerdog
                        Make up your mind, you enjoy playing infantry or you don't, why on earth would you be playing on a 24/7 City Maps server when you could be playing Countersrike instead?
                        Just for furture reference all city maps have vehicles. Furthermore, city maps also have helicopters and aircraft! Gulf of Oman is a considered a "city map" on this server, for example.

Comment

well, i am a pure groundpounder. i am only serviceable in tanks, choppers, horrible in planes, and can sometimes drive a jeep without tipping it. i have, and always have been a infantry focused person. but the reason i did buy bf42 was the vehicle aspect, the "full combined arms war" feeling. given that, i do think that if enough people want it, IO should be included. i personally hate it with a passion and feel it turns the game more into a watered down quake deathmatch rather than an actual arcade-war simulation it should be, but if thats how people want to play it then ok. just dont make it ranked, and prioritize inserting this game mode AFTER the main engine is fixed to a point of near flawless operability. until then, dont add more seats to a car that doesnt run.

Comment

i just dont like the incresed hp and damge decrease,i mean is 2 head shots to kill some1 fun?or 4 body shots with a sniper rifle really fun?

Comment

DICE, dont put new rims on a busted car

Comment

Right i have not tried it yet but from what you all have posted infantry only seems mix. All i wanted EA to do is to remove all veichles so either for clan matches or public we could just shot etc no tanks no apc's raping you. IF THEY DO SCRAP IT WHICH I HOPE THEY DONT, STOP SPAWN RAPING !!!! The main reason i think they did it is for karkand as this map uis the worst offenders for people in apc's and tanks camping spawns etc. If EA just take out the tanks apc and cars then it would be just fine i think maybe they should change that and then do another BETA.

Comment

Working...
                                X