Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i have the FIX for long load and verifying client data times!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: i have the FIX for long load and verifying client data times!

what does it say for the value "driverdesc" in your 0003 through 0006

Comment

Thx a lot!
      This thread helped me solving my problems with vcd-time!

Comment

hey, as long as this thread helps one person actually be able to enjoy bf2 again, im happy!

Comment

So it only works if you have 2GB of RAM? What if you have a crappy video card (5500)? Also, in the device manager I have two instances of Primary IDE Channel and Secondary IDE Channel. Do I have to change all 4 to DMA? Right now, all 3 are set to DMA except for one Secondary IDE Channel whose transfer mode is POI Only. I know, a lot of questions, but if someone can help me out I'd appreciate it

Comment

I have both set to Ultra DMA (stock), got 1gb of RAM and I normally had about 2-4 minutes of VCD. Sometimes it just skipped VCD I don't know why though.

Comment

@captain: you arnt REQUIRED to have 2gb of ram, but to make sure your harddrive is the only bottleneck, 2gb of ram is best. if you have 1gb of ram this very might improve your loadtimes but you wont get the maximum benefit. about the 4 ide controller question, im not sure, ive never encountered such a situation as yours. but all your ide channels should be set to DMA if they support it.

@idebo. sometimes the server wont go through VCD if that server is linux. some linux servers dont go through VCD, while some do. thats why i used to play on only linux servers before i got this fix, hoping i would find some that did not verify. until you get another gig of ram, i suggest you too try playing on only linux servers that have a high # of maps per round before a map change. (24/7 map servers are a good bet, as they usually have upwards of 8 rounds before refreshing the map, so you can play a long time before having to VCD all over again). linux servers are the one with the penguin icon instead of the computer icon next to the server name.

Comment

Thanks charles, I have 2GB of RAM. Just one question what exactly are the IDE controllers and what do the registry entries do/why am I deleting them?

Off topic: I play NS too ! (since B5) Great game, although I've kinda lost my attachment to it

Comment

I open up the regedit folder and I only have:

wheres 001?

and in the 002 folder I don't have those files:|:

Comment

It should be a sticky because it seems to be a very common problem .

Comment

Originally posted by Sox62
                      Thank you very much.I feel like a bonehead for not figuring this out myself.
                      Figuring out what to delete in the registry is not that easy...

Comment

I have SATA drives in RAID-0 and still have long VCD times, what is the fix for my setup?

Comment

Originally posted by Consultant01
                          I have SATA drives in RAID-0 and still have long VCD times, what is the fix for my setup?
                          Did you disable the PIO-mode in your windows-sata-setup??
                          This helped me reducing my vcd-time from 3minutes to 12sek!

The exact way is like ak74 says:

Originally posted by abtomat74
                          I posted this a long time ago...something extremely important you didn't mention though.

YOUR HD SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN IN PIO MODE TO BEGIN WITH!

Did you ever find what was causing your HD to REVERT to PIO mode from the proper DMA mode? Disk errors.

Goto Device Manager, Event Viewer, System...I bet you have tons of Red error icons talking about a disk drive that doesn't exist by number in your O/S. For example Drive D instead of C?
                          D is most people optical drive, not their HD.

What I found through my research into this very occurence is: Windows by default downgrades your HD speed to PIO mode after encountering a specific number of disk errors.

When I first stumbled onto this, simply chaning it back to the proper speed kept it working speedily again. A few months later it wouldn't last more than a hours before reverting.

What I eventually did was tell Windows that I no longer have a SATA150 HD, but instead asked it to perform as an ATA133, aka DMA mode6. I haven't had a single problem since.

I did this by removing the driver I installed initally, and used the default WindowsXP IDE driver. It doesn't have the option for SATA, but it hasn't affected my speed beyond causing Windows to take "one bar" extra to load

Remember I said that Windows automatically does this after a specific amount of errors? Those errors can and most likely are caused by BF2 and it's propensity for crashing!

Have ANY of you EVER encountered this prior to BF2? I haven't.

Comment

Great job on this man!

Now in my registry the 001 entry did not have either of those 2 entries, though the 002 did. so i deleted them from 002 and rebooted. VCD took 10 seconds right on the dot. definatly faster then normal. THanks again man!

Comment

Still goes pretty slow for me, but hey it's a few seconds faster.. I think :laugh:

Comment

Im scared to delete my HD driver in windows, wont that funk up my RAID-0 array? or no? I'm typically pretty knowledgable about this sort of thing but Hard Drives have never been a specialty...

Comment

Working...
                                X