Re: New Sound Card Worth it?

xtremegamer

Comment

What?

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
        Dunno... i know the XtremeAudio cant play on Ultra High, but if its an extreme gamer on game mode it should work. Make sure you got the latest drives installed.

Ok, well I'll try to update the drivers.

Edit: I decided to just go and try the game again, and it works!

Comment

Originally posted by minicoop503 View Post
          Ok, well I'll try to update the drivers.

Edit: I decided to just go and try the game again, and it works!
          Yeah I was going to say that I had the same problem but after you restart the game you can switch it onto ultra high.

Note: the game does tell you that too! lol

Comment

why is there a full copy of my HJT log in one of my posts....... strange..... didnt notice that before.

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
              why is there a full copy of my HJT log in one of my posts....... strange..... didnt notice that before.

yea, I was wondering what that was lol. :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. MatDef View Post
                No, and how do you know what they sound like? They aren't releasing any x-fi pcie cards, all the new ones will be using the new x-fi2 sound chip.
                ...because i know that placing an em sheild between the X-Fi and your video card makes it sound better because it gets less interference from the GFX card - and the PCI-e slots are nearer the GFX card.

I know someone that mods lots of X-Fi's for better sound cards

Comment

Since sound card are going to be obsolete with vista and future computers in mainstream i think onboard like me is fine

Comment

I just bought an extreme gamer and am running Vista premium(32).
                    and an Logitech 350 usb headset and with the gamer its really choppy at the begging of a map but with the Logitech it runs smooth as silk and since its running with the standard sound drivers since its usb its seen as a sound card it runs smooth as silk. Go figure so my point is boy is my face red.BF 2
                    runs better with my $20 headphones rather than my $100 sound card.
                    duggerh2001
                    p.s. yes i still suck

Comment

Originally posted by xRAMBOx View Post
                      Since sound card are going to be obsolete with vista and future computers in mainstream i think onboard like me is fine
                      You keep thinking those happy thoughts.

If a game is written to use OpenAL (and BF2 is one of them) then with an Audigy/X-Fi it will sound the same in Vista as it does in XP, and use the cards capabilities (full EAX, hardware acceleration, etc).

Originally posted by duggerh2001 View Post
                      I just bought an extreme gamer and am running Vista premium(32).
                      and an Logitech 350 usb headset and with the gamer its really choppy at the begging of a map but with the Logitech it runs smooth as silk and since its running with the standard sound drivers since its usb its seen as a sound card it runs smooth as silk. Go figure so my point is boy is my face red.BF 2
                      runs better with my $20 headphones rather than my $100 sound card.
                      duggerh2001
                      p.s. yes i still suck
                      And what are you plugging into the sound card? You do realize that USB headphones DO NOT use your sound card (either onboard or PCI).

Also for the X-Fi to work properly with games you need to set it to Game mode.

Comment

Yes I realize that it is seen as another soundcard and yes I have it on game mode,thats the only mode its ever in.
                        Thats why I wrote that the $20 dollar soundcard works better for me,than the $100 soundcard,not really whinning just one of those things that make you go "huh".
                        duggerh2001

Comment

That doesn't answer the question,

And what are you plugging into the sound card?

Comment

Soory 'bout that.
                            5.1 logitech speakers are plugged intop that and the soundcard is plugged into T Force PCI slot which is powered by an AMD64 3800 and 2 gigs of RAM.
                            No biggie just waiting like the rest of us for better drivers.Was driving me nuts,I suck anyway but this didint help either.Thanks for replying by the way.
                            I first thought it was my video card(Nvidia 7600GS) but after playing with the headset I noticed the problem dos'nt exist,but when I play with the headset off it reappers.
                            duggerh2001
                            It does really good with FEAR,RB Vegas and HL 2.

Comment

Make sure you are using the latest drivers from Creative's download page,

Will probably also help if you update the OpenAL that comes with the game. After updating your drivers go to Windows\System32 and look for wrap_oal.dll. Check the version number and if it isn't 2.1.4.0 go here,

and get the latest. Then make a copy of wrap_oal.dll and put it someplace else (desktop is good), and rename it to BF2OpenAL.dll. Next go to your BF2 folder and locate and make a back up of the original (renaming it BF2OpenAL.dll.old works) and paste in the renamed one.

Comment

Will Do
                                Thanks
                                duggerh2001
                                Checked it its 2.1.4.0
                                and I have the latest drivers.
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X