The "Random Thoughts" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Random Thoughts" Thread

Figured it was a site issue. Earlier csnation.net was just directing to a root dir.

Comment

Wasn't even that. They wiped out every directory either through a security exploit or they somehow gained access to our FTP. Weird they left the images folder though. But yeah, they wiped everything, including some other non-site folders (I had one where I uploaded a few things here and there).

Tim ([MyIS]Crrrazzzy) had a backup, thankfully. He's still has to work on things, obviously. I think he also updated the forums to the latest version as well, so that'll help things out as well for us.

I'm going to guess that we'll have a new theme for the main site/forums as I'm not sure if the one we were using is compatible with the one we had.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
        Wasn't even that. They wiped out every directory either through a security exploit or they somehow gained access to our FTP. Weird they left the images folder though. But yeah, they wiped everything, including some other non-site folders (I had one where I uploaded a few things here and there).

Tim ([MyIS]Crrrazzzy) had a backup, thankfully. He's still has to work on things, obviously. I think he also updated the forums to the latest version as well, so that'll help things out as well for us.

I'm going to guess that we'll have a new theme for the main site/forums as I'm not sure if the one we were using is compatible with the one we had.
        doh. a good reason to make sure all security patches are install as they come out, and to keep DB backups. I've been stung like this before too.
        "Crunch's First Officer"
        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I'm not saying for sure it was a vB security flaw that led to this. It was merely one of many possibilities. We were woefully behind on patches here though. I kept bugging Tim about it, but I know how much he doesn't like doing it because of all the hoops you have to typically jump through (ensuring themes work, addons, etc.). But seeing as how it was wiped out anyway, probably easier now to have upgraded the software than if we didn't have the wipe.

Comment

Hey guys, I came back from holidays, am I the only one who is seeing something wrong with the forums?

Ok, Apparently I'm not. Can we expect it to go back to normal Zips ?

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
              Know how I know nobody reads the main page here? Nobody has said a SINGLE thing to me about why the forums are all kinds of jacked up right now.
              Actually I didnt say anything because I am used to it and figured it was just another down server or something.

Hope everything works out.
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

• Right... so I think things are almost back to "normal" as far as the forums go.

Everyone should be able to see threads and content and all that stuff again. You should not be able to post in the news areas for general/battlefield/valve/call of duty. You should be able to see content whether or not you're logged in or not.

You should be able to customize your avatars, signatures, user titles, etc. Yes, you will need to re-upload your avatars.

No, the main page news doesn't work yet.

Let me know if you find stuff broken or not working as expected. Either tell me here or if you're unable to do so, tell me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/TGN

Comment

• I WANT TO GO GOD DOMMOT

Comment

• Looks good zips ! I do miss some custom backgrounds for the different sections, like the battlefield one, or here the OT.

I also feel like we should be able to get higher resolution avatars. I mean, a little bigger wouldn't hurt.

Comment

• give us time .... baby steps

Comment

• Originally posted by jimykx View Post
                        Looks good zips ! I do miss some custom backgrounds for the different sections, like the battlefield one, or here the OT.

I also feel like we should be able to get higher resolution avatars. I mean, a little bigger wouldn't hurt.
                        Bigger than 100x100? What are you thinking, maybe 125x125?

And Tim deserves a lot of the credit. He picked out the themes here and was the one who transfered over the database and posts after starting with a fresh vBulletin install.

Comment

• I like the new look of the place. Very nice.
                          Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                          Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

• Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
                            I like the new look of the place. Very nice.
                            Same. Feels nice and modern. The Steam integration is something that is really awesome too.

I like this new TGN. Its a compromise between CSnation and TGN. As in, not trying to pander to either Forum.

Comment

• Yeah! Feels fresh to be in here!

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips View Post
                              Bigger than 100x100? What are you thinking, maybe 125x125?

And Tim deserves a lot of the credit. He picked out the themes here and was the one who transfered over the database and posts after starting with a fresh vBulletin install.
                              I don't really know. How does that affect the server? I don't think it would mean a sudden increase of occupied space but I'm no expert. It just came to my mind that the posts would look better if the avatars showed up just a little bit bigger, but I don't know other people's opinions

Comment

• It won't affect the server too much. With many people including the Steam profile stuff, there is some room for expansion on the left side of the user info area on posts.

Also, is ANYBODY out there experiencing some sort of an issue when typing out posts on here, that result in your key presses not actually registering for a bit in the middle of typing? It happens say every 30-60 seconds if not more frequently. I honestly cannot figure out what it is, and it's only on this site that it happens. You have to keep typing for a brief period of time before it happens.

Just as an example, it happened twice in the paragraph above in the bolded areas.

Comment

Working...
                                X