Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The "Random Thoughts" Thread

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
    Your case air flow and ambient room temps have a lot to do with it as well.
    actually, make that around 37 degrees right now (I was on the toilet on my phone which is a cheap HTC explorer when I last posted).

Though You're right, as its now in a different place to when it was overheating. I think that rooms cursed...

Comment

Originally posted by SgtMattBaker
      So I finally had the opportunity to complete my PC build, I left it almost at 50% and never had the time/patience to finish it.
      It's my first build and I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
      nice. has the 212 cooler and 570 like in my build.
      "Crunch's First Officer"
      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I forgot to ask, Matt, which i processor is that? Im blind...

Comment

Oh yeah, it's my fault for not posting some specs. i7 2600k and 1TB HDD. The rest are quite obvious .

Comment

You should have gotten a SSD too. They've been really damn cheap lately, especially the Crucial M4's.

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
              You should have gotten a SSD too. They've been really damn cheap lately, especially the Crucial M4's.
              It's definitely in my wishlist. Just have to buy Diablo and Arma2 CO first, and then I'll buy it.

But which is the recommended? 128 or 64 GB?

Comment

It's definitely in my wishlist. Just have to buy Diablo and Arma2 CO first, and then I'll buy it.

128GB at a minimum for SSD, especially if you plan on tossing your OS onto it.

Comment

I'm sorry on my noobish but I never got a lot into pc building. What's the difference between an HDD and a SSD? Is it speed? Because I was a lot confused when I was searching for the best game recorders and a lot of people said to install the recording software into the ssd , i'm not sure why or if that is even possible

Comment

Speed and durability. A solid state drive doesn't have as many moving parts so it doesn't break if you look at it uncovered.

Comment

This helps too, look at the comparison chart at the bottom:
                      Most people now buy laptops for their computing needs and have to make the…

This article as well:
                      Get the latest technology news and in-depth analysis from the expert analysts at PCMag.

Comment

Get the biggest one you can afford. SSD prices finally broke and started getting cheaper about a month ago, but they are still expensive. Just make sure you research before you buy.

Originally posted by jimykx
                        I'm sorry on my noobish but I never got a lot into pc building. What's the difference between an HDD and a SSD? Is it speed? Because I was a lot confused when I was searching for the best game recorders and a lot of people said to install the recording software into the ssd , i'm not sure why or if that is even possible
                        For a desktop computer its mostly about speed, but they are extremely durable too, especially with drop testing, which makes them perfect for rugged tablets, and laptops. You could pound on a ssd while its working and it wouldn't be a problem. the one i have says its can handle up to 1500 G's of force. I have an OCZ vertex 3.
                        The speed on them is incredible. I will never go back to a regular hdd if i don't have to. while most newer hdd's are hitting about 100mb/sec, my vertex 3 was averaging about 470mb/s as measured by CrystalDiskMark. Its amazing clicking on a program to run and it just appears as if it was running in the background.

Of course for game recording, just saving to a second hdd works fine.
                        "Crunch's First Officer"
                        twitter: @signaprime

Comment

wow, thanks a lot guys I've been clarified!

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
                            I'm really considering buying the arma 2 pack on steam as soon as it goes on sale, the dayz mod is extreemely interesting
                            It's in alpha but the mod is revolutionary. I bought Arma 2 OA just to play this mod. The game is completely unforgiving. You get one life and when you lose it you start over. I don't know anything about Arma2 except It doesn't appeal to me, this mod however is awesome. I didn't research much about it, I just watched a short video because some people were playing it. Few nights ago I was admiring the sky and realized it seemed awfully familiar and found the big dipper then Polaris and guided myself to the west to hit the nearest road. Logging in during the middle of the night I couldn't see the area I had logged off and didn't have a compass.

This mod should be in the news. http://www.dayzmod.com/

I just seen a msg fade into the website that said "biz is giving away arma 2 at http:// some google short link I think. It faded out before I realized what I was looking at.

Although it's still in alpha, open-world zombie survival mode Day Z has done wonders for sales of military simulator Ar…

“There’s no doubt that the thrilling Day Z mod currently drives Arma 2 Combined Operations sales on Steam,” Bohemia Interactive’s Marek Španěl told Kotaku.

“Sales have increased almost fivefold from how they were before Day Z’s Alpha release.”

The ArmA II developer plans to work support for the mod into its next official patch.

“Considering the mod’s popularity we are committed to do some related work in the next Arma 2 update (1.61),” Španěl said.

“We are actively communicating about how we could best support the Arma 2 user community especially in multiplayer and Day Z players are right now a significant portion of people actively playing the game, so of course it’s high on our priority list to support it the best we can.”

The mod is actually led by Dean Hall, a New Zealand lad and one of Bohemia’s own staffers, who told games.on.net that ArmA 2 was the perfect base for the game he had in mind.

“You look at the ArmA engine – it is built for this. It was begging for this to be made,” he said.

Comment

Yeah that mod is great, had time to play it last night and can't wait to get back to it later today.

Though I got really mad at the end ... a rage quit may have happened lol.

I played lone wolf for around an hour, scavenging for supplies and weapons ... I found this sort of warehouse surrounded by walls and only one gate, I decided to enter, close the gate and check for ammo, and maybe get in the tower to see where should I go next.

As I entered the warehouse there were easily 10 to 20 zombie and survivor bodies laying around, I pulled out my lame and basic Makarov and did a quick warehouse clearing. I started looting the bodies, I found lots of food and ammo on the survivor corpses and found a DMR, I was just so excited to find another weapon. And as soon as I got out I got shot dead ... apparently 2 guys were using the warehouse loot as bait to get supplies damn them.

Comment

haha yeah, that's how it works. As you play more you get a better idea how to get things quickly. You'll find that going into the main cities is usually a death trap. The NW airport is also pvp central. There are a lot of people who will do anything to bait people also. If you meet them in game there is a good chance you can't trust them. The best way to get geared I've found is to travel inland and hitup barns, small towns with stores and deer stands are nice for weapons. I may scout a military camp out for 30 minutes or more if I think someone may come. Then I'll move up to the airport and camp the barracks because the easiest way to get gear is kill someone who has it

The ultimate goal is to have tents hidden on the server you usually play on, stock up on goods and then you are always ready and can concentrate on doing bigger things like getting a helo and camping crash sites.

Right now if you back away from a zombie trying to attack you, you can range him. When they stop to do their "aoe" damage you can back away from them and they'll just stand there but if you back too far they will come closer. They'll also stack on the one that's already stopped and you can just stand there looking at zombies trying to kill you.

Comment

Working...
                                X