Total Gaming Network's Review of Dead Space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total Gaming Network's Review of Dead Space

Total Gaming Network had the chance to play through EA's recently released game Dead Space. Here is the intro to the review:
    Dead Space is a third person sci-fi horror game for the Playstation 3, Xbox 360 and, PC and is a new series for developer and publisher Electronic Arts.

Dead Space is a new video game series that has been under development at EA Redwood Shores since December of 2005. The game has a new story never told before and innovative gameplay features which make it a great title. The game relies on scare tactics and a deep story line and just these two aspects make for a great game in it's self.

Dead Space puts you in the space boots of Isaac Clarke, your average ‘Joe the Plumber’ type, or to put it in a better context ‘Isaac the Engineer’ As Isaac you and the rest of the crew of the USG Kellion are on a repair mission to the USG Ishimura.

The crew of the USG Kellion consists of you and four others: P-Sec officer Zach Hammond, tech expert Kendra Daniels, pilot Corporal Chen, and co-pilot Corporal Johnston. Hammond is a strong headed officer putting nothing higher up the chain of importance then the mission at hand. Daniels, along with Hammond, will be your aids through most of the game giving you new directives and tips as you make your way through the Ishimura.

Your mission seems simple: communications blackout -- you should be in and out in a couple of hours, or so you think.

So be sure to check out this full review right here. What did you think of Dead Space? Feel free to post your thoughts as well as your feedback to our review right here on Total Gaming Network.

Re: Total Gaming Network's Review of Dead Space

Awesome review! Im really looking forward to this game now, as stated its good for those Half Life junkies and i am certainly one of them

Comment

Nice review Manz! I may need to go check this game out...I love the pics too.

Comment

TAGLINE: RESIDENT EVIL 4 IN SPACE!!!11!
        Sorry Manzi, but you are over enthused about this game. The story is far too reminiscent of every single other survival horror game or movie that I can think of. It's like every game within the horror genre requires you to get a part from here to fix problem across the whole stupid ship, but to get to there you have to unlock a door below you, so you have to walk over there, but that door is locked, so you have to find a way to open it, but that way at the same time can also be blocked, etc.. In addition, the hero Isaac has various weapons he can use called stasis and kinesis, but your review fails to mention them. WHY, may I ask? Also the story doesn't adequately explain how or why a space engineer is given some pretty hardcore military applicable weapons other than he finds them or buys them, his chips for kinesis and stasis, why the hell are there stores that sell weaponry and ammo throughout a futuristic ship? Seriously, why on earth would you wait to buy weapons right before a battle, instead be intelligent and stockpile them, so just in case your local store has been mangled, you have the tools to survive the fight. Besides, who other than military personnel would even consider purchasing these weapons? It would strengthen the game so much more, to just include weapons stockpiles throughout the ship, but then that would be another god awful fetch quest, but at least this would remove the limitations set upon you by money or collecting money. AAAARGH, this does not constitute a good story to me because it continues to rely on the old tenets of horror movies and games, with little to no variance. The characters may be a little more complex than other series, but they remain very blah and honestly, I do not care about them. You also commented about the zero-g sections being innovative, to a degree I will agree with you, but the concept is fairly similar to the Ratchet and Clank series with its magnetic boots, navigational puzzles with magnetic strips, and enemies coming from all directions during these sections. Overall, I think this game does not deserve a 9.0, more like a 7.5 or so. Seriously, evaluate the game over a longer period of time because even though it is a game, it does not deserve free acceptance of illogical and just plain stupid elements. Also, make sure to ask Will (don't know username, he is your boss) to actually check your reviews. There were a ton of typos and sillyness within your review.

Comment

Originally posted by randomduded12 View Post
          TAGLINE: RESIDENT EVIL 4 IN SPACE!!!11!
          Sorry Manzi, but you are over enthused about this game. The story is far too reminiscent of every single other survival horror game or movie that I can think of. It's like every game within the horror genre requires you to get a part from here to fix problem across the whole stupid ship, but to get to there you have to unlock a door below you, so you have to walk over there, but that door is locked, so you have to find a way to open it, but that way at the same time can also be blocked, etc.. In addition, the hero Isaac has various weapons he can use called stasis and kinesis, but your review fails to mention them. WHY, may I ask? Also the story doesn't adequately explain how or why a space engineer is given some pretty hardcore military applicable weapons other than he finds them or buys them, his chips for kinesis and stasis, why the hell are there stores that sell weaponry and ammo throughout a futuristic ship? Seriously, why on earth would you wait to buy weapons right before a battle, instead be intelligent and stockpile them, so just in case your local store has been mangled, you have the tools to survive the fight. Besides, who other than military personnel would even consider purchasing these weapons? It would strengthen the game so much more, to just include weapons stockpiles throughout the ship, but then that would be another god awful fetch quest, but at least this would remove the limitations set upon you by money or collecting money. AAAARGH, this does not constitute a good story to me because it continues to rely on the old tenets of horror movies and games, with little to no variance. The characters may be a little more complex than other series, but they remain very blah and honestly, I do not care about them. You also commented about the zero-g sections being innovative, to a degree I will agree with you, but the concept is fairly similar to the Ratchet and Clank series with its magnetic boots, navigational puzzles with magnetic strips, and enemies coming from all directions during these sections. Overall, I think this game does not deserve a 9.0, more like a 7.5 or so. Seriously, evaluate the game over a longer period of time because even though it is a game, it does not deserve free acceptance of illogical and just plain stupid elements. Also, make sure to ask Will (don't know username, he is your boss) to actually check your reviews. There were a ton of typos and sillyness within your review.

you're complaining about certain elements to a story of a horror game set in space not being realistic? I dont think realism was key in the development.

And a quick comment on your thing about Webs, of course he proof reads stuff. Don't be silly. :shakehead:

Comment

Come on guys! Reviews are serious business.

Its a horror game. How different can ANY of them be? Its like horror movies. There's going to be sex, drugs, and boobies. The guy is going to get it first then the woman who breaks their heal before being axed.

It was a very good review and well rounded.

Crunch
            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

For the record I have only ever played Resident Evil once on the Wii for about five minutes.

And also have you played Dead Space yet?

I wrote this review after playing through the full game then going back and completing again chapter 1 and part of chapter 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Manzi View Post
                For the record I have only ever played Resident Evil once on the Wii for about five minutes.
                Not playing Resident Evil is sacrilage, in my book.

Anyways, Dead Space was good. It was kinda meh in the horror department to me - it was the same ol' cliche cliche. Good game though, some frustrating parts.

As for the review, kinda skimmed tbh.

Comment

Isnt a reveiw suppose to be skimmed? If you cover everything its a strategy guide.

Crunch
                  Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                  Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch
                    Isnt a reveiw suppose to be skimmed? If you cover everything its a strategy guide.

Crunch

No, reviews give you the fine details on what makes it good and bad. We only tell a brief description of the opening story as to not ruin it for you. We give positive and negative points in all areas of the game but never tell you what you should or shouldnt do when playing. It's just a "review" of the game and it's aspects.

Reviews and previews act as a supplement to those who are curious about the game and are not sure if they want to buy/rent the game for themselves so they go and hear what others have to say.

It's just like if your friend comes and tells you. "OMG Man this game is crazy you need to get it now, I blew off this things arm and it kept coming oh man this is cool"

A review is pretty much the same, just gives a more formal approach.

So we highly recommend you read all the way through it.

Comment

Well, well, well. I will have to go get this just to see if your review is accurate, Manzi.

Comment

Originally posted by ThQp
                        you're complaining about certain elements to a story of a horror game set in space not being realistic? I dont think realism was key in the development.

And a quick comment on your thing about Webs, of course he proof reads stuff. Don't be silly. :shakehead:
                        Well, I recognize that the game was not meant to be utterly realistic, I still believe that a greater sense of realism would have pulled me into the game and alleviated many of my problems with the game. Also, I know Webs checks the articles, but it seems as though spell check went haywire because "bag" language, or "suburb" graphics, or "the game has a new story never told before" just seem redundant or poorly thought out. Yes I have played Dead Space, I beat the game and just could not see why everyone thought of it so highly. As for my comment about it being similar to RE4, the controls are pretty much lifted from that game, add in limb removal from games like Soldier of Fortune, a standard story with a very System Shock 2 setting, and you get Dead Space. All in all your review was fine, but I disagree with the rating, so all I am doing is expressing my opinions. Does that clear everything up?

Comment

Yep...

Comment

Originally posted by randomduded12 View Post
                            All in all your review was fine, but I disagree with the rating, so all I am doing is expressing my opinions. Does that clear everything up?
                            As long as you constructively go about your posts on the review, I am 100% fine with you posting your opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own rating of a game and we're open to you telling us what you think. It adds more discussion about the game which is ultimately what we like to see.

Comment

nice review, seems like a decent enough game, may have to look into this more!

Comment

Working...
                              X