Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TGN's Big Releases of 08' Top 10 List

Originally posted by Manzi View Post
    Like Chris has said we are not "abandoning" PC gamers whatsoever. we have been giving the same amount of support. We are just "expanding" we have a plentiful staff here, some of us are into gaming news in general like me. Since im a future communications/journalism major.

We are covering as much as we can. Im not even a console gamer. I search very often all the major gaming, and news sites for as much news as I can, and Sniper does this as well. If you guys see something newsworthy about the PC or anything gaming. Then submit it we do have that area for you to bring stuff to our attention.

We are still just testing the water with doing our own articles, features, exclusives, and interviews. We hope to have more in the future.

No one is being left behind. we are just opening up.
    This would basically be my response to the discussion as well. SonicPixel, I didn't at all mean for my post to be a personal attack, and it certainly wasn't just directed at you. I was just frustrated with comments being made both past and present regarding the console side of TGN and I felt I needed to say my standpoint on it and since the discussion was on that in this thread, I felt it would be a good place to post. I apologize if you took it the wrong way. I just want people to see we're expanding yes, but not leaving behind our core audience of PC gamers. I think it's safe to say almost all our staff are PC gamers at heart as well. Manzi summed it up perfectly though. :salute:

Comment

@ Spawny

Understood and accepted. :salute:

@ All the "know-it-all already" types posting here

From my perspective, I've taken a stand to say, "This is what I like, this is part of who I am. I'm a PC wargamer."

Why? It's the team play I'm interested in. I'm not an uber-pwnzor type of player. It's not about domination for me. It's about cooperative play and being a part of the team which strives for victory.

These other games are too casual and forgiving to hold my attention for long. Sure, they can be fun. But, they also tend not to be overly complex. That means there's not a lot of reasons to reach out to the community of players. BF2 was/is complex to the extent that the expertice of others is very valuable. That's what TotalBF2 was all about.

I want to focus on PC wargaming. I'm having a difficult time finding others who think similarly and I'm frustrated. I see these other things as being peripheral to what I'm interested in. They are distractions to me.

I see that I'm in the minority here. There's no reason why I should not raise my voice so that we're not overlooked. This is a place to communicate, right?

I'm tired of politely being told to shut up. That's just not going to happen. If it's okay for everyone else to state their opinions, then it better be okay for me to express mine, too.

As for "they're all games" argument. There's a lot of other gaming going on and we don't cover that stuff. IMO, when you become "jack of all trades" you also become "master of none."

Now, I don't know the future, but I'm still playing BF2 and BF1942 many years after release. What console titles will have that kind of longevity? None. Not one.

Comment

Originally posted by SonicPixel View Post
        I want to focus on PC wargaming. I'm having a difficult time finding others who think similarly and I'm frustrated. I see these other things as being peripheral to what I'm interested in. They are distractions to me.

I see that I'm in the minority here. There's no reason why I should not raise my voice so that we're not overlooked. This is a place to communicate, right?

I'm tired of politely being told to shut up. That's just not going to happen. If it's okay for everyone else to state their opinions, then it better be okay for me to express mine, too.

As for "they're all games" argument. There's a lot of other gaming going on and we don't cover that stuff. IMO, when you become "jack of all trades" you also become "master of none."

Now, I don't know the future, but I'm still playing BF2 and BF1942 many years after release. What console titles will have that kind of longevity? None. Not one.
        :thumbsup:

Comment

Just revisiting this thread to talk about one of the big flops on this list...Haze. With a metacritic score of 56, I think the game was rushed.

Oh yeah, most folks that have GTA IV say it sucks in comparison to GTA SA. They go into great detail about how the graphics aren't all that and alot about the gameplay. for example, doing drive by shootings....now, when you shoot out of your car window, you no longer have control over the car which makes it very difficult. Alot of the stuff that made the series great has been removed...watered down.

Comment

i too have seen many of the poor raitings for haze and myself am a bit disappointed i have not gotten the chance to play it yet though i'd really like to.

ive heard nothing but good things from gtaiv so it did deserve the top spot.

Comment

Originally posted by |D|-Jaws View Post
              Just revisiting this thread to talk about one of the big flops on this list...Haze. With a metacritic score of 56, I think the game was rushed.

Oh yeah, most folks that have GTA IV say it sucks in comparison to GTA SA. They go into great detail about how the graphics aren't all that and alot about the gameplay. for example, doing drive by shootings....now, when you shoot out of your car window, you no longer have control over the car which makes it very difficult. Alot of the stuff that made the series great has been removed...watered down.
              Finally, someone in concurrence. It's been made into the SecondLife of gangsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Manzi View Post
                i too have seen many of the poor raitings for haze and myself am a bit disappointed i have not gotten the chance to play it yet though i'd really like to.

ive heard nothing but good things from gtaiv so it did deserve the top spot.

To be honest and truthful in your journalism, you should do a showcase piece on GTAIV. Canvass the scene and see how it stacks up against it's own predecessors. Specifically, ask veterans of the scene.

To a newb, GTAIV might very well be the introduction the series. We need perspective. It's just like BF2. Alot of kids throught it was great...but only becuase they never played the mod Desert Combat for BF1942. DC still overshadows almost all FPS games. there hasn't been one single game that can match it's scope and scale. It was epic.

I hear the same things about GTA SA...it was epic. GTAIV is good as a standalone game, but in comparison to it's own brethren, it pales.

But I do think you need to revisit this game to get a before and after look. I think much can be learned and it would be a first in many ways.

Keep it honest.

Comment

To be honest and truthful in your journalism, you should do a showcase piece on GTAIV. Canvass the scene and see how it stacks up against it's own predecessors. Specifically, ask veterans of the scene.

I hear the same things about GTA SA...it was epic. GTAIV is good as a standalone game, but in comparison to it's own brethren, it pales.
                  Me and a couple of my mates all agree that Vice City has been the best one out of all the series.
                  It was funny, colourful and had an awesome soundtrack!!

Comment

I agree completely, I like GTA IV, but it's no where near as fun as all the others, it's not ott enough, there is also not much in it and when you finish you don't even own the city. :shock: All you have is three apartments.....

Comment

• Re: TGN's Big Releases of 08' Top 10 List

this is a very good idea, but I would not be a good person to do such an article as.

I have only played GTA III and GTA VC.

So I cannot do a proper comparison. I am still saving money to purchase a console to play GTAIV.

Veritais could take on such an article though.

I will be working on some other things this summer article wise. Also don't forget our podcast team they take suggestions as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X