m40a3 vs r700

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m40a3 vs r700

Arguably two of the best rifles, but which one do you think is top?

I'd have to go with the m40A because I find the hit detection spot on, but there are lots of very good snipers who swear by the r700

The way I see it

M4
    + Less Kick
    + Larger Clip
    + Less obstructive scope while unscoped
    + Pinpoint accurate
    - Takes two shots to the chest to down a Juggernaut

R700
    + Juggernaut killer
    + Faster to scope (Can't be certain but it feels faster)
    - Smaller clip
    - Questionable accuracy
    - Big Kick

The kick on the r700 isn't an issue as I generally un-scope after every shot anyway, but the hit detection is a deal breaker

Any r700 users out there care to defend their weapon of choice??

Re: m40a3 vs r700

I'll occasionally use the R700, but I do feel it has more hit registration problems. Aside from that, the only difference I really see between the two is the recoil - but you can easily control both. I can go days without a single hit registration problem with the R700, then one day just not be able to hit anything - I don't find that happening as much with the M40.

I've asked a few R700 users why they use it and received the following responses:

-It's not better, it's just fun to try something new
    -They like the overall "feel" of the gun more (model/skin)
    -Seems to scope quicker

Plus, in competition juggernaut is not allowed - so there's really no reason to go for the R700 over the M40 unless you just "like" the gun more for whatever reason. Honestly, I think it just comes down to personal preference, not which is "better."

Comment

R700 is easily the worst sniper I ever used in a game.

Comment

It would be interesting to know if it does in fact scope faster.

If I could change one thing about the sniper rifles it would be to make scoping quicker. CSS, 2142 it's instant - that would be ott for cod but if it was as quick as the assault rifles:thumbsup:

As it is I have to resort to double tapping the scope button to keep it primed when I know there is about to be a shot on

Originally posted by Toxic_Wolf
        R700 is easily the worst sniper I ever used in a game.
        Lol I wouldn't go that far

Comment

I use both of them at random... I think its just preferance.

And like Kodak said, for match play, there isn't any juggernaut, so the M40 might be the better choice.

Comment

I did a fairly thorough test and the r700 is as near as makes no difference 3/100ths of a second quicker to scope

To do this I just chose overkill with both weapons and recorded a demo of scoping at the same spot - then used fraps @ 120fps + premier to cut and measure accordingly

You can see a headache inducing overlay of the two here - http://www.vimeo.com/973640

That's at 1/20th speed

Comment

I wont defend any weapon. Its about choice. Play with what you want.

Hmmm, I guess I do defend weapons like the P90 and grenade launcher because everyone cries about them and how unskilled the weapons are. So I guess I defend the defenseless

As for my favorite, I do prefer the R700. I think the reason is because I did not use any sniper rifles until the 1.3 patch, by then it was unlocked and I went to going between it and the .50 cal. I learned how to use it. The only difference I see between the two weapons, however, is the ROF on the R700 is faster and the M403 has one more bullet.

So, start out with the M403 and work your way up

HA

Crunch
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Not much of a sniper myself, but i have a mate that swears by the R700.

He uses it nearly every match and dominates 9 times out of 10. Im not sure his reasonings for using it, but it seems to work.

Comment

Well, being that I use the acog on snipers..(heehee) I actually have the same kit set up for both. They both have acog, and I use them both regularly. I am going to have to say I enjoy the M40 more because it's just like the look...it's smaller, but it has an extra shot in it. But then again I come from BF2, using the M24 (r700) and I just love that gun. So I mean, I really don't care. I will and continue to use both, but I think the whole more bullets thing makes me lean to the M40

Comment

I like the R700 better, both of them are pretty similar but I just like the looks and sounds of the R700 better.

And it looks sexeh in Red Tiger

Comment

From the stock weapon files, these are the differences (the other differences are just to do with sound/model/not important)
                      ---

m40a3 has:
                      "maxAmmo" "40"
                      "startAmmo" "20"
                      "clipSize" "5"
                      "locTorsoUpper" "1.1"
                      "reloadEndTime" "0.76666"
                      "emptyDropTime" "0.5"
                      "emptyRaiseTime" "0.5"
                      "adsIdleAmount" "40"
                      "hipViewKickYawMin" "50"
                      "adsViewKickPitchMin" "10"
                      "adsViewKickPitchMax" "65"
                      "adsViewKickYawMin" "50"
                      "adsViewKickYawMax" "-55"
                      "adsDofStart" "4"
                      "adsDofEnd" "30"

r700 has:
                      "maxAmmo" "32"
                      "startAmmo" "16"
                      "clipSize" "4"
                      "locTorsoUpper" "1.5"
                      "reloadEndTime" "0.7666"
                      "emptyDropTime" "0.66"
                      "emptyRaiseTime" "0.9"
                      "adsIdleAmount" "60"
                      "hipViewKickYawMin" "-50"
                      "adsViewKickPitchMin" "30"
                      "adsViewKickPitchMax" "85"
                      "adsViewKickYawMin" "70"
                      "adsViewKickYawMax" "-75"
                      "adsDofStart" "0"
                      "adsDofEnd" "10"

---

So, r700 is only more powerful to the Upper torso... I'm not sure what the aim down sight depth of field start/end does, its not the Zoom FOV tho...

Comment

I use the R700 because it's sexier and more powerful, I don't mind the recoil because the power makes up for it alot of times, I care about the clip size because I reload almost after every shot.

I don't really like the M40 because I can barely see the camo and the green is ugly and it seems bulkier.

Comment

I prefer the R700, because at times with the M40, I will hit a guy (without jugger) and not get a kill, that doesn't seem to happem with the R700 though...

Comment

M40A3 > R700

Tell you why. The M40 isn't a one shot kill sure BUT it has a weird recoil system were it can fire 2 shots without much recoil down scope with the one breath

R700 has more damage but you don't get that second shot

Comment

yeah i have to say im moving towards the m40a.. im usually a R700 fan but recently i went back to M4 and i was taking moving targets from across the map without a problem.. i then went back to the R700 and im having problems hitting stationary one's >.<

as for the M4's slightly less damaging effect i just turn on "stopping power" and that seems to take care of that.

im glad to see im not the only one thats finding the M4 a better rifle..

Comment

Working...
                              X