BioWare Again Details DRM for Dragon Age 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BioWare Again Details DRM for Dragon Age 2

In cases where confusion arises over what DRM a game may or may not have, it's always nice to have someone clear the air. BioWare's Chris Priestly took to the game's official forums to explain what DRM options there will be for the PC version of Dragon Age 2.

Steam versions use Steam DRM, no other DRM is added.

Non-Steam versions (digital or retail disc) are as follows:
    - No disc check, you do not need the disc in drive to play.
    - No limit on the total number of PCs you can install and play the game on.
    - There is a limit to the number of unique/different PCs that can start/play the game within a time window [5 PCs in 24hrs].
    - Each install requires logging in to your EA account to verify game ownership and if you are a member of these forums, you have an EA account.
    - You can play offline but the game will require a login check after a select period of days.

Release Control (does not use securom)
    - It does not install anything to the PC.
    - Sole purpose is to check with a server to validate whether the game release date has passed or not.
    - It completely removes itself after the game release date has passed.
    - You will not be able to play until that date has passed.
    - Dates & times are set to the retail street date per country.

There you have it ladies and gents. Buy from Steam, only have to deal with Steam for the DRM. Buy retail and you get a slight bit more DRM but nothing all that intrusive. Pick your poison!

Re: BioWare Again Details DRM for Dragon Age 2

I find the release control is a waste of money and time to develop, since crackers can easily bypass/remove it. It's naive of me, but I would've preferred a convergence of international release dates with domestic dates to combat international piracy, despite the obvious difficulties in doing so, as well as the fact that not all international gamers pirate due to impatience of their region's release. Then again, I also think developing a crack for it seems like a waste of time and money, as it's on a timer to disappear anyways.

As for the DRM. I appreciate the transparency delivered in simple to understand English. Nothing more to say on that.

Comment

Re: BioWare Again Details DRM for Dragon Age 2

Looks like I'll be saving a crack to my hdd. Nothing to do with piracy, just why do they need to know what and where I'm installing my games on, that's none of their business to be honest. Their business is to sell me a product that I'll enjoy, not something that will NOT work at all in 4 to 10 years.

Seriously considering learning how to bypass generic drm's just so when the time comes I want to show my grandchildren what I used to play, I'll be able to show them something and not get stuck at the install/login.

Comment

Working...
      X