No announcement yet.

Is Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever?

Here's a little late night rumor for you guys, courtesy of the straight shooters over at Kotaku.

According to undisclosed sources, Gearbox Software, the development studio behind Borderlands, may be taking the reins of Duke Nukem Forever after 3D Realms lost the rights to the title some months back.

Duke Nukem Forever, according to sources who wished to remain anonymous, is now in the hands of Gearbox and is planned to be released under the studio's name. Gearbox was outed as the developer of the apparently scrapped Duke Nukem spin-off Duke Begins earlier this year.

Take-Two Interactive still maintains publishing rights to the title, which the company confirmed to Kotaku tonight. (A company spokesperson declined to comment about the status of the Duke Nukem Forever project and whether it is in the works at Gearbox.)

One source indicated that a playable demo of Duke Nukem Forever will be available later this year.

Yes it is merely a rumor right now, but it's also technically the first word we've heard of a DNF revival anywhere. As with all rumors, and I'm sure I will say this each time a rumor goes up, be sure to take this with a grain of salt until some facts are announced.

Re: Is Gearbox Reviving Duke Nukem Forever?

Lets assume it is true; somebody mind explaining to me how 3D Realms is going to pay their creditors and get out of bankruptcy protection/administration/whatever the living hell their actual status is because it's so damn vague? Ok so Gearbox Software has it... So that leaves 3D Realms with... See the issue I'm seeing here? I don't get it IF it's true.

Comment

Originally posted by K-16 View Post
      Lets assume it is true; somebody mind explaining to me how 3D Realms is going to pay their creditors and get out of bankruptcy protection/administration/whatever the living hell their actual status is because it's so damn vague? Ok so Gearbox Software has it... So that leaves 3D Realms with... See the issue I'm seeing here? I don't get it IF it's true.
      3DR essentially has nothing to do anymore with the game. Their problems are their own. What happens with Duke Nukem Forever really won't have much of any impact on 3DR, especially if another developer is working on it. Take-Two is the publisher and owns the rights to the game, that's all that is known as fact right now.

Comment

Damn... So 3D Realms really is pretty much nuked huh (lousy and pathetic pun intended)? I guess they'll turn to casual games or mobiles or something (or run like hell away from their creditors)... I was under the impression that DNF was developed by a skeletal team within 3D Realms. That is, until this rumor showed up.

Comment

Working...
        X