Blizzard Realizes the Error of their Ways, Reneges on Real Name Forum Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard Realizes the Error of their Ways, Reneges on Real Name Forum Usage

After almost 2495 pages of angry responses just in one thread (not including additional threads, thousands of deleted posts, and threads on other forums), Blizzard has done a 180 on their "real name" policy for Real ID usage on their forums. A new forum post by the CEO and co-founder of Blizzard, Mike Morhaime, details how real names will now not be a requirement when posting on their forums in the future.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

It's important to note that we still remain committed to improving our forums. Our efforts are driven 100% by the desire to find ways to make our community areas more welcoming for players and encourage more constructive conversations about our games. We will still move forward with new forum features such as the ability to rate posts up or down, post highlighting based on rating, improved search functionality, and more. However, when we launch the new StarCraft II forums that include these new features, you will be posting by your StarCraft II Battle.net character name + character code, not your real name. The upgraded World of Warcraft forums with these new features will launch close to the release of Cataclysm, and also will not require your real name.

He continues on to explain their hopes for the Real ID function within their games.

I want to make sure it's clear that our plans for the forums are completely separate from our plans for the optional in-game Real ID system now live with World of Warcraft and launching soon with StarCraft II. We believe that the powerful communications functionality enabled by Real ID, such as cross-game and cross-realm chat, make Battle.net a great place for players to stay connected to real-life friends and family while playing Blizzard games. And of course, you'll still be able to keep your relationships at the anonymous, character level if you so choose when you communicate with other players in game. Over time, we will continue to evolve Real ID on Battle.net to add new and exciting functionality within our games for players who decide to use the feature.

In closing, I want to point out that our connection with our community has always been and will always be extremely important to us. We strongly believe that Every Voice Matters, ( http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/mission.html ) and we feel fortunate to have a community that cares so passionately about our games. We will always appreciate the feedback and support of our players, which has been a key to Blizzard's success from the beginning.

This also comes after a Blizzard employee posted his name on the forums as a show of good faith in the new system. This prompted an immediate community response that resulted in the man's Facebook information, address, phone number, family information, and the like. As a result of the community's swift investigation, the employee was forced to disable his Facebook account, his Twitter account, and block his phone number.

Re: Blizzard Realizes the Error of their Ways, Reneges on Real Name Forum Usage

The damage is done.
    I will no longer be purchasing SC2 (or any other blizz title) because of their recent actions. They've completely lost my trust -- 10+ years of it -- with this stunt.
    They can try and back-peddle out of it but the fact is they were going to steamroll over their users' privacy. They were so arrogant about it that they posted their fucking real names on a forum, got violated... and it still took a fucking week for them to 'change their mind' (i.e., "to be implemented at a later date").

Comment

Re: Blizzard Realizes the Error of their Ways, Reneges on Real Name Forum Usage

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
      After almost 2495 pages of angry responses just in one thread (not including additional threads, thousands of deleted posts, and threads on other forums)... As a result of the community's swift investigation, the employee was forced to disable his Facebook account, his Twitter account, and block his phone number.
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Took all of five minutes! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! 2495 pages in one thread! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Who didn't see this one coming? Oh right, Blizzard, that's who. Heheheh.... Ok ok I'm fine now.

Originally posted by Dr.Worm
      The damage is done.
      I will no longer be purchasing SC2 (or any other blizz title) because of their recent actions. They've completely lost my trust -- 10+ years of it -- with this stunt.
      They can try and back-peddle out of it but the fact is they were going to steamroll over their users' privacy. They were so arrogant about it that they posted their fucking real names on a forum, got violated... and it still took a fucking week for them to 'change their mind' (i.e., "to be implemented at a later date").
      Hmm... So you think they're going to find another way to mess with our privacy over time? I mean, honestly speaking VALVe Software's been doing it, but they're doing it the right way (and ethically acceptable, while apparently effective in tagging pirates). Also, you could technically pardon the guy's "arrogance" considering his name IS on the game manual and in-game credits. It's just that none of us cared until they gave us a reason to care. Now, I'm quite sure there are a few people who are checking every name in the manual and giving them hell, five minutes at a time. Heheheh... HAHAHAHAHAH! Ahem... Sorry. I'm ok, really.

Comment

Working...
      X