PC Modders Strike Back at Infinity Ward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Modders Strike Back at Infinity Ward

This just got real. The old trailer for Modern Warfare 2 that went up back on July 27 has been removed due to copyright violations. Yes, a trailer that Infinity Ward put up themselves was removed from YouTube due to a copyright violation claim by the mod community.

The video in question showcased multiplayer gameplay utilizing the AC-130. This is where it all hits the fan.
    As you may be aware, our very own PST*Joker has made assertions on BASH that the MP AC130 and several other MW2 features were influenced (without any recognition) by him and other PC modders.

A few hours ago, I saw a Tweet go out from a community member suggesting that Joker issue a takedown notice of Infinity Ward's AC130 vid on Youtube.
    "@pstjoker I just thought you should send youtube a DMCA take down notice regarding the #MW2 AC130 video. See how youtube responds." (@therealrudedog)
    I think Joker took up the idea and I can only assume he's more surprised than anyone that a few minutes ago YouTube yanked IW's AC130 video right off their official channel.

Just a few minutes ago I spoke to PST*Joker and apparently he did make the takedown claim and YouTube did take down the original official video from their IW channel. Joker forwarded this reply from IW's community manager:
    "Really? Copyright infringment claim? :sigh:" - Fourzerotwo DM on Twitter

It seems as though a number of the additions made to the Modern Warfare 2 multiplayer came from the Modern Warfare mod, X4, and others without any acknowledgment to the mod creators.

Re: PC Modders Strike Back at Infinity Ward

get em boys!

Comment

wow. this really really pisses me off like just how how low can you go as a company that you need to take things from other people because you couldn't come up with anything

really fuck you IW i mean it whole hearty i really hope those fuckers lose there god damn jobs

Comment

Wow!

Comment

That's it... I'm suing Valve for renaming the Desert Eagle after me without permission.

Really, though... I mean, really? That seems so petty.

Comment

Uh... I thought legally speaking, all modified/custom content made by the community belongs to Activision (unsure about Infinity Ward/Treyarch Studios). I mean, in return for changing their game for educational purposes, I would believe all rights are reserved for the license holder, and therefore possession goes to them even if they are not the original authors. Recognition of original authors are legally optional, or so I thought. Google didn't have time to look this up did they?

Comment

I like 402 DM, he's a jerk in general I think, at least the stuff I've seen him posting.

IW piece of crap for stealing crap like that... Think of your own ideas or give the knowledge to those who did the work...

Comment

Working...
              X