Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, there must be some pretty shitty systems out there. And you call yourselves gamers? Why, of course you are -- you do nothing so well as complain. A few brief observations of my own...

After creating yet another stupid throwaway FilePlanet account I got in line for the download then left to go outside and enjoy the sunshine. When I got home, there it was. Try it some time.

After a few initial cacheing burps the mod runs smoothly in 1024x768 on a P4 3.4 with a mere 1GB RAM and I forget which nVIDIA card. Frame rate is anywhere from high 20s to low 90s depending on the action and map.

There's no denying the massive effort that went into this thing -- and it IS still in Beta -- but it's also still a game and several of the attempts at "reality" affect the gameplay adversely, at least for the more casual gamer (me).

Iron sight aiming is a necessary skill but in the real world you still have a feel for where your weapon is aimed, from the hip or the chest, just by the subtle relation of the barrel to the rest of your body. A "rest of your body" that is not present in the 2-dimensional game world. Even a single tiny dot to represent a general aim point without using the irons in QCB or unexpected circumstances would increase (my) enjoyment.

The maps so far are a little too small to get a sense of the regions represented, and objectives, though simple, seem unclear to those first jumping in. Offline AI would be a wonderful tool for getting the feel for it but the Reality Factor would understandibly have you initially unfamiliar with your area of operations. Those who dwell on learning every nook and cranny will simply end up "gaming the game" and turning it into a dreary Counter-Strike headcount clone.

A little more HUD information onscreen would also be nice. I know that you don't have such luxury in real life (21st Century Soldier notwithstanding) but, again, this is a game and concessions sometimes need to be made for the sake of gameplay. There are things you normally know just by looking, or feeling, that aren't available to you onscreen. Make it so by putting it up there.

Finally, destructable objects are obvious by omission. It's hard to get a sense of place when everything around you is cast in titanium. I haven't found anything -- glass, wood, tires -- that bullets had any effect on (other than a few hole decals).

So, yeah, it's great that the mod is finally out but it's sad that so many are reacting as if they were promised 72 virgins and got Courtney Love instead. I'm not one to harp on deadlines ("They make a lovely sound as they go whooshing by." -- Douglas Adams) and you should consider yourselves lucky that the developers have even released a beta for you to bitch about. Use the opportunity for constructive criticism to help make the thing better and more to your liking, don't just beep and squeak about it like spoiled little douchebags.

So thanks, INS guys. Beauty so far. Keep up the good work.

And please give me bots. I hate online cheaters and whiners.

Comment

Great post ALT+F4. Probably not a fair comparison, but the early betas of CS weren't exactly slick.

Comment

heay, leave CS out of this...

Comment

aras_se wrote..

heay, leave CS out of this...
          He was telling the truth dipshit. Deal with it.

Comment

No, when the developers themselves proclaim boldly that this game will overtake CS in popularity, he's every right to compare it to CS.

So far, this release has been laughable, at best. I did not find it fun. I'll give it a few more tries, but I just don't see myself enjoying it in this state.

Comment

After reading these comments I've deleted the torrent.

Back to GarrysMod and World of Warcraft for me.

I'll keep an eye on the Insurgency site though.

Comment

Zips wrote..

No, when the developers themselves proclaim boldly that this game will overtake CS in popularity, he's every right to compare it to CS.
                lol tru tru

Comment

"the Reality Factor would understandibly have you initially unfamiliar with your area of operations."

I've often wanted an FPS with randomized maps for exactly that purpose.

CS players in particular seem extremely unwilling to play a map they don't know. The attitude of the majority seems to be, "If I don't know this map, that means it sucks."

Comment

Edited by [user="381418"] @ [time="1183486412"]

Zips wrote..

So far, this release has been laughable, at best. I did not find it fun. I'll give it a few more tries, but I just don't see myself enjoying it in this state.
                    I was going to mention that they said it was going to be better than CS but I didn't hear it myself from them and their forums are pretty sluggish right now to check.

But yeah, if you say your game is going to be better than another when it clearly is not, I think you deserve to be criticized.

I think one of the main reasons CS caught on was that it was inexpensive and you didn't need a great computer to play it. I think that's one of the reasons the PC game industry isn't doing so well, you need a $2000 computer to play something that a $300-500 PS3 or XBox 360 can do. There are more people out there with crappy computers than there are with amazing computers and it'd make the most sense to market to the guys with bad computers. It's a sigh of relief playing a Half-Life mod every now and then in which it takes 5 seconds to load, whereas HL2 mods can take probably up to 5 minutes to load up and connect (*waits for some nerd to tell me it takes him 1 minute*).

Comment

Thortok2000 wrote..

CS players in particular seem extremely unwilling to play a map they don't know. The attitude of the majority seems to be, "If I don't know this map, that means it sucks."
                      I used to say (fairly often) that I'd rather suck on a beautiful new map than rule on frakkin' Dust.

Comment

oh well, it's free. People are complaining as if they paid $50 for this game.

Comment

im feeling a bit worried about the future of mods for source, all been downhill really besides the valve products, in fact every game out there build on source has had problems imo(Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines).

only hope Black Mesa Source wont dissappoint.. and skankuser watch your mouth.

Comment

omgomgz wrote..

I think one of the main reasons CS caught on was that it was inexpensive and you didn't need a great computer to play it. I think that's one of the reasons the PC game industry isn't doing so well, you need a $2000 computer to play something that a $300-500 PS3 or XBox 360 can do. There are more people out there with crappy computers than there are with amazing computers and it'd make the most sense to market to the guys with bad computers. It's a sigh of relief playing a Half-Life mod every now and then in which it takes 5 seconds to load, whereas HL2 mods can take probably up to 5 minutes to load up and connect (*waits for some nerd to tell me it takes him 1 minute*).
                            Yeah, because everyone wants to play games that computers from 1996 can play. Get a job and build a decent computer lol.

appended @ [time="1183489438"]

Okay, I just played it. Pretty buggy, but I think it has some potential.

Comment

Zips wrote..

Where did you ever read we claimed that Insurgency will overtake CS? We never even thought about that for one second... Anyway a lot of non CS players seem to like Insurgency. And we know there are a lot of bugs, but this is a beta right? Before actual release we played this mod daily with 20 people and we didn't had any really annoying bugs left, just some small unnoticable ones. Thousands players playing Insurgency made a lot of new bugs pop up we never saw before.

Check these ingame videoclips out how Insurgency is really ment to be played (once you understand the game).

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbR3OiEz_kY

- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0g3a33MWsI

DelaZ (yes, i'm an insurgency dev and CSS player btw )

Comment

Allow me to quote the IRC chat from #insurgency last night.
                                [22:13:39] <+dual22deuce> Do you think this MOD has the poetential to overtake CS popularity wise?

[22:13:50] <@[INS]Minotaur0> YES
                                Sorry, good attempt at a mod, but speaking as someone who plays CS once in a blue moon anymore, I did not find much to like in this mod. It needs a lot of work.

You guys also have to realize that there's a way a game was meant to be played and how it's actually going to be played by the majority of people, and you need to cater to those people or else the game will be a flop.

Comment

Working...
                                X