Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wanted to comment on this one point for now.
    The question also came up that asks why server ops shouldn't deserve a cut. Beyond the reason that Mr. Newell provided, I'd just like to point out that if you have a dedicated server, the ads don't affect anything. All ads are done client side and have no impact on the server.
    If the ads don't affect anything, then how come I never play on my old CS1.6 favorite servers anymore? A number of servers out there that provide a good, quality experience and solid community have options available to help with their server costs via paypal, in exchange for limited admin or reserved slots or whatever. Am I going to pay for a reserved slot in a server where I no longer wish to play due to the game experience being raped by in-your-face advertising?

Additionally, VALVe's ability to get an advertising campaign going is solely reliant upon this community of independent server ops, and there would be no revenue base without these server ops paying to host VALVe's game. It is perhaps excusable for VALVe to not pay these admins if VALVe is not directly earning a returning revenue stream from their actions, but now that they are, the situation has changed.

You can make the "it's client-side" argument, but the client side does nothing at all without the server-side being provided. CZ effectively proved that the community that wants to play CS by themselves against bots is very small indeed. Willingly or not, the server ops are providing the advertising delivery by facilitating clients to play in the first place, thus the client-side/server-side debate is really just a creative way of VALVe trying to shirk their financial responsibility to server ops.

Of course, I say "financial responsibility" in an ethics sense, not in a legal sense, and we know which route VALVe takes with such things.

Comment

My GamesIndustry-unlinked open letter is here:

http://www.dot-brain.com/2007/05/14/an-...d-its-future/

In the end Tom managed to have it properly reported on Eurogamer. I guess the issues listed were a bit too hairy for GI.biz...

Comment

And this begs the question: Why hasnt anybody decompiled+recompiled an exact version of dust2/aztec without the ads? i dont see them on other custom maps, so they seem to be built into the map intself. if theres such a backlash it wouldve been done days after the ads came out. looks like 99% dont give a shit

Comment

@Pharlap - To my understanding there's client-side hacks to hide all the ads, including the scoreboard ones.

Comment

-:Nighthawk:- wrote..

Just wanted to comment on this one point for now.

If the ads don't affect anything, then how come I never play on my old CS1.6 favorite servers anymore? A number of servers out there that provide a good, quality experience and solid community have options available to help with their server costs via paypal, in exchange for limited admin or reserved slots or whatever. Am I going to pay for a reserved slot in a server where I no longer wish to play due to the game experience being raped by in-your-face advertising?

Additionally, VALVe's ability to get an advertising campaign going is solely reliant upon this community of independent server ops, and there would be no revenue base without these server ops paying to host VALVe's game. It is perhaps excusable for VALVe to not pay these admins if VALVe is not directly earning a returning revenue stream from their actions, but now that they are, the situation has changed.

You can make the "it's client-side" argument, but the client side does nothing at all without the server-side being provided. CZ effectively proved that the community that wants to play CS by themselves against bots is very small indeed. Willingly or not, the server ops are providing the advertising delivery by facilitating clients to play in the first place, thus the client-side/server-side debate is really just a creative way of VALVe trying to shirk their financial responsibility to server ops.

Of course, I say "financial responsibility" in an ethics sense, not in a legal sense, and we know which route VALVe takes with such things.
            If you're hosting on a dedicated server, the owners of the servers aren't entitled to a cut of anything. They run the servers for whatever reason, it was never a money making venture to begin with. At least, it shouldn't have been, and if it was they can continue to make money however they were before.

The ads are client side. Dedicated servers are in no way entitled to something people are running on their own machines. And if the clients themselves don't want to deal with the ads, then Condition Zero is out there ad free, as is CS: Source or any other game if they want to quit CS completely.

Comment

Thortok2000 wrote..

@Pharlap - To my understanding there's client-side hacks to hide all the ads, including the scoreboard ones.
              w00t. any hints as to where i can get em??

Comment

@Pharlap - I can't answer that on this site.

But were one to search, one would probably find.

Comment

Working...
                X