This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newell: In-Game Ads Are Good

GameIndustry.biz continues to dish out the Valve goodness, this time Gabe Newell talks about all things Valve. All things Valve, really? Well, just episodic content, Steam, in-game advertising, Xbox Live arcade games, and more.
    You mentioned the need to experiment - something that's been announced in the last week is in-game advertising in Counter-Strike. Why did you choose to do that now? I read an open letter from a server admin who made the point that he's hosting the game, so why shouldn't he expect a cut?

Newell:
    Well we're looking at a variety of ways of funding these development projects and it probably benefits us less than other kinds of developers. We're very successful with the retail model of large-scale projects; we could have just kept turning the crank on that. I think where advertising-supported projects will be interesting is the degree to which it continues, you know the same way Steam hopefully broadens... one of the issues that it solves is broadening the distribution of games like Red Orchestra, which deserve to reach an audience. I think that we're also going to start to see games that would struggle to get traditional publisher funding find that advertising is a great way of finding and developing an audience, and that's why we're putting the effort to make it possible for people to use Steam to do advertising-supported games.[...]
    There is a lot more to this response that stretches beyond the scope of this quote. So, the ads aren't really for their retail games, Counter-Strike 1.6 ads not withstanding, but for the smaller companies looking to fund their game? Interesting.

The question also came up that asks why server ops shouldn't deserve a cut. Beyond the reason that Mr. Newell provided, I'd just like to point out that if you have a dedicated server, the ads don't affect anything. All ads are done client side and have no impact on the server. Just a little food for thought. Mr. Newell apparently also likes his Pokemon.

I never cared for in-game ads, never have, never will, but if it does support them in any way, then I suppose I can stop my ranting. Because I know alot of people, and I mean alot, have downloaded Valve games illegaly ever since Half-Life 1 came out.

If in-game ads gives them a great amount of "financial pleasure," then I'm all for it.

Comment

so i herd Gabe lieks mudkips?

Comment

"..." @ this interview. Ads are horrible.

Comment

I understand your need to make revenue and combat money lost over people stealing your content and games, but to subject this onto paying customers who have nothing to do with this?

I was honest when I said I would not be buying another game from Valve and this includes Episode 3 and and the "Black Box" collection. If they do this to Counter-Strike, who KNOWS what other games are exempt from the plan?

Comment

I'm as anti-valve as the next guy but I seriously do not see a big deal with the ads. Let's move on to more important issues: Removing grenades from TF2 is a disgrace, let's discuss that.

If you want to argue with Valve fanboys all day to no end, go to the Steam forums. They're in for a good ripping.

Comment

omgomgz wrote..

If you want to argue with Valve fanboys all day to no end, go to the Steam forums. They're in for a good ripping.
              ... and that's when you get yourself banned after only being registered for a day.

Comment

icemanz-alb wrote..

"..." @ this interview. Ads are horrible.
                I think ads in the right places are perfectly fine. As long as it fits the environment and doesn't distract (think GTA if the ZIP store was a GAP, that wouldn't change anything, hell it being ZIP and looking like the gap logo was distracting). Look around your house or your workplace, there are plenty of products around that would be considered ads in a game. If they are going to force ads on us in the form of billboards places on walls and logo's stuck to stat screens, then I would expect some kind of discount.

appended @ [time="1179469888"]

omgomgz wrote..

Let's move on to more important issues: Removing grenades from TF2 is a disgrace, let's discuss that.
                I love the idea, the first thing they want to do is make the classes unique, I was always pissed off when the choke points just turned into nade spam contests. No more nades = more unique class play styles. TF2 doesn't need to be TFC with different graphics...you can always play TFC. The point of making a sequel to a multiplayer game is to improve upon the previous title.

Comment

Diamond Dust wrote..

I think ads in the right places are perfectly fine. As long as it fits the environment and doesn't distract (think GTA if the ZIP store was a GAP, that wouldn't change anything, hell it being ZIP and looking like the gap logo was distracting). Look around your house or your workplace, there are plenty of products around that would be considered ads in a game. If they are going to force ads on us in the form of billboards places on walls and logo's stuck to stat screens, then I would expect some kind of discount.

I love the idea, the first thing they want to do is make the classes unique, I was always pissed off when the choke points just turned into nade spam contests. No more nades = more unique class play styles. TF2 doesn't need to be TFC with different graphics...you can always play TFC. The point of making a sequel to a multiplayer game is to improve upon the previous title.
                  1: Well, according to your first point, you disapprove of the implementation of the ads due to their obvious fact that they REALLY FUCKING STAND OUT since a poster for "Smokin' Aces" doesn't belong anywhere in a random Aztec or Middle-Eastern setting...

2: Yes... "improve" :cough:'Counter-Strike': Source:cough::cough::cough:

Comment

First off, if ad revenue goes to subsidizing riskier, more independent games / mods, then I'm all for it. In fact, even if the ads just went straight into Gabe's pocket I really wouldn't care. I don't understand what the whole to-do is about the ads. Subliminal, subconscious manipulation? Who cares, we get that every single day walking around the real world.

As for TF2, I think it looks great. The TFC die-hards can have Fortress Forever. I can't wait to play the medic.

Comment

In movies, the advertising has reached the point that it's called 'product placement'. This is a form of advertising I don't mind.

If they would do a similar form of advertising in games, I wouldn't mind that either.

In your face, you can't ignore me, I don't belong here, I'm not going away and there's no way you can get rid of me, so just suffer and be annoyed...THOSE kinds of ads...

I'm just not going to play the game when ads like that are there. Period.

Comment

Thortok2000 wrote..

In movies, the advertising has reached the point that it's called 'product placement'.
                        You make it sound like its a new thing.

Comment

ET advertised reeses pieces. Or was it M&M's? In any case, it was part of the story.

I didn't make it sound like a new thing, I just said it had to reach that point. Advertising in movies didn't start out that way.

Comment

icemanz-alb wrote..

1: Well, according to your first point, you disapprove of the implementation of the ads due to their obvious fact that they REALLY FUCKING STAND OUT since a poster for "Smokin' Aces" doesn't belong anywhere in a random Aztec or Middle-Eastern setting...

2: Yes... "improve" :cough:'Counter-Strike': Source:cough::cough::cough:
                            1. I never said that I think valve is doing a good job with the ads, you stated "ads are horrible". I was pointing out exaples where they fit.

2. CS source isn't a sequel it's a half-assed attempt at improving graphics and physics. Thats why they are making CS2 (hopefully).

Comment

Diamond Dust wrote..

1. I never said that I think valve is doing a good job with the ads, you stated "ads are horrible". I was pointing out exaples where they fit.

2. CS source isn't a sequel it's a half-assed attempt at improving graphics and physics. Thats why they are making CS2 (hopefully).
                              Meh, ads are ads, you are not being payed to play the game nor forced to, quit anytime you would like people . You quit = hurt for Valve.

CS2 will be the next attempt at making CS w\ grphiacs + physics + games play?

Comment

Working...
                              X