This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Replaces WON

Remember that Steam thread Erik Johnson posted a couple days ago? Well rest assured we weren't the only ones who overlooked the most important part of it. Planet Half-Life takes note that not only is the Steam beta coming to an end, the entire Half-Life user base is going to be converted over to Steam as well. The WON authentication method currently used will be replaced by Steam and you will need a valid VALVe product key, such as a Half-Life CD key or a Counter-Strike Retail CD key, to access games via Steam. Here are the most important bits of info Erik posted in the thread:
    When we convert the user base to Steam, a single WonID will be valid for all of the products.

If you have purchased a product from us at retail, you're going to have access to all of our products via Steam.

No, you do not have to pay for Steam.
    Planet Half-Life also went ahead and confirmed with Erik that you will need Steam to play the latest version of Half-Life and, subsequently, Counter-Strike.

Last but not least the single most important piece of information you need to know:
    This would be a good opportunity to grab a really low SteamID number, as it will be the one you'll be assigned forever. They will be handed out in sequential order.

This would be a good opportunity to grab a really low SteamID number, as it will be the one you'll be assigned forever.
    That sounds strangely ominous. Looks like I'm skipping school that day, because I absolutely must have a low Steam ID to validate my worthless existence.

Comment

I'll use my nice 25 digit long DoD Retail key for Steam

I think it will auth us when we start the Steam desktop component, we'll see, it will be great, trust me, me, me!

btw I hope there won't be any no-steam servers like noWon now.

Boomstick wrote..

That sounds strangely ominous. Looks like I'm skipping school that day, because I absolutely must have a low Steam ID to validate my worthless existence.
      I'd do that too, but it comes at 8pm here .

Comment

Boomstick wrote..

Great minds think alike!

And its good to see that I dont have to dish out the dough just to get steam. I thought I read somewhere you have to pay to download updates though...

Comment

Yes a few 'lucky' players will have eternal bragging rights for having Steam ID's 1, 42, 69, 100, 1000 and 1337...

Comment

So, this means no more exe files, what if a user has no internet, or no broadband, what do they do? there is also LAN play, not that at LAN centres, but small lan partys with no net? :/

I'm sure the first few 100 of the steam ID's are already took by valve employees and steam alpha teams, along with who ever else helps make adjustments to the game. I want 1337, but any number under 5000 is good.

Comment

what will cal do? everyone will have to change ids in their profile...

RaptorRage: 42? dont u mean 420?

Comment

Nah, 42 as in the meaning of life, the universe and everything...

Comment

CAL will most likely have to support the change by unlocking the rosters for a bit, this is a huge change and there are sure to be hiccups as we all adjust to it.

SteamID 1337 is so mine so don't even try.

edit:
                  RaptorRage: 42? dont u mean 420?
                  Someone get this man some douglas adams?

Comment

RaptorRage wrote..

Yes a few 'lucky' players will have eternal bragging rights for having Steam ID's 1, 42, 69, 100, 1000 and 1337...
                    You forgot 7, 13, and 666.
                    |cyborg| wrote..

So, this means no more exe files, what if a user has no internet, or no broadband, what do they do? there is also LAN play, not that at LAN centres, but small lan partys with no net? :/
                    Taken directly from the steam FAQ:
                    How can I have a LAN party or similar event using Steam?

Any Steam game, when played on a LAN or otherwise, requires that each individual client be able to authenticate via the Internet.

At a LAN party, this means that Internet access must be available to every machine on which Steam games are being played.
                    That, my friends, is very bad news indeed.

Comment

so the steamids are given out in the order that peeps download the *new* steam??? is that right??? so if im the 54th person to dwnld steam...my steamid will be 54..correct?

Comment

VALVe isn't stupid enough to shaft their LAN users, Erik talked about it in the forum post i think, i just didn't care enough to post. You can follow through on it on your own.

Comment

oh and i think gooseman should get steamid 1..that would be cool i think

Comment

1337? Pah. Who needs the ID 1337 when you can have # 382749234923478233487234? Don't think about taking that number either.. it's MINE!1111111

Comment

btw will i need to remove my steam that i already have before dwnloading the new version of steam...or will the new install remove and install it all together..im sure this was discussed but i havent heard..sorry for my ignorance

Comment

Working...
                              X