Mass Effect Franchise Put on Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mass Effect Franchise Put on Ice

Following yesterday's earning's call with investors, EA and BioWare have moved to put the Mass Effect franchise on ice for the time being. Kotaku heard from people "familiar with the studio" that the franchise is on hiatus and the studio responsible for Mass Effect Andromeda, BioWare Montreal, is now a support studio.

In addition to this, an undisclosed number of BioWare Montreal employees were moved to EA Motive (also in Montreal) last month. Those still at BioWare Montreal are tasked with helping to work on BioWare's other games, including their new IP currently codenamed Dylan. A statement was issued to Kotaku from BioWare Montreal studio director Yanick Roy.
    "Our teams at BioWare and across EA put in tremendous effort bringing Mass Effect Andromeda to players around the world. Even as BioWare continues to focus on the Mass Effect Andromeda community and live service, we are constantly looking at how we’re prepared for the next experiences we will create.

"The teams in EA Worldwide Studios are packed with talent, and more than ever, we are driving collaboration between studios on key projects.

"With our BioWare and Motive teams sharing studio space in Montreal, we have BioWare team members joining Motive projects that are underway. We’re also ramping up teams on other BioWare projects in development.

"There will be much more to come from BioWare in the years ahead."

I hope so, Yanick. I hope so. For as much as I hated about Mass Effect Andromeda, I still want that reboot to continue. I want to see where it goes and I want the story to be completed. I'm getting real sick of not getting sequels to franchises I love (Half-Life 3, SiN Episodes, Mega Man Legends 3, etc.).
Working...
X