Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PlayStation 4 Camera Sold 900,000 Units to Date with Severely Constrained Supply

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PlayStation 4 Camera Sold 900,000 Units to Date with Severely Constrained Supply

Sony has underestimated the demand players would have for the PlayStation Camera for the PlayStation 4. Sony's Chris Norden revealed at GDC today that the peripheral has already sold about 900,000 units, limited right now by the very limited supply available.

Norden said that the camera is "severely supply constrained." He urges consumers to "please be patient" as Sony works to get the camera back in stock. With Sony's Project Morpheus VR headset potentially making use of the PlayStation Camera, it's possible that the demand is only going to intensify as time goes on.

How ironic. Microsoft forces Kinect on people, and everyone gets pissed. Sony sells them separately, and everyone buys it... Hmm... I guess it's because the PlayStation Camera is cheaper than the Kinect?

Comment

Originally posted by K-16 View Post
      How ironic. Microsoft forces Kinect on people, and everyone gets pissed. Sony sells them separately, and everyone buys it... Hmm... I guess it's because the PlayStation Camera is cheaper than the Kinect?
      You should probably take another look at the definition of "everyone." Since the last time I checked, there were over 6 million PlayStation 4 owners out there (as of March 2, 2014) and only 900K PlayStation Camera owners (as of today).

Many people, however, are now considering picking one up later on when more is known about Project Morpheus. I'm one of those people if it allows for integration with the DS4 light bar while using the VR headset.

Comment

Fair enough. By "everyone" I meant "I didn't think the PlayStation camera would be popular enough to sell all 900,000 units."

As for Project Morpheus, we only know for sure that the PlayStation Move controllers work, and the DS4 controls work. As for waving the DS4 itself around, I don't know, but technically there should be no issues preventing it.

Comment

Working...
        X