Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

343 Developer David Ellis Calls MGS5 Female Character Design 'Disgusting' - Guess He Forgot about Cortana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 343 Developer David Ellis Calls MGS5 Female Character Design 'Disgusting' - Guess He Forgot about Cortana

David Ellis is a content designer for Halo over at 343 Industries. Mainly tasked with producing content for Halo Waypoint, Ellis still couldn't help but voice his opinion on the female character design for Metal Gear Solid V yesterday.

The link in question takes you to a render (seen at the end of the post) of Quiet, the female character seen in a few of the Metal Gear Solid V promotional videos and the subject of a recent behind the scenes video.

He has, undoubtedly, already received both flak and praise for voicing his opinion on the matter. Now, this really begs the question if Ellis also voiced a similar remark against the company he works for given the design direction that the Cortana character model has taken over the years.

Behold, the evolution of Cortana from the Halo franchise from Halo CE to Halo 4. So that look is fine but the design of Quiet from MGS5 isn't? Pot, meet kettle. Kettle, meet pot.

Of the Cortana ones, the only one even mildly in comparison is the last, and even that is not so bad, especially considering it's a hologram and needs no actual protection.

Quiet, however, is basically walking around in a bikini and ripped pantyhose. (Which, I've never seen a woman wear a swimsuit and pantyhose at the same time, in the first place.)

Lara Croft, for instance, is totally an attractive woman character, but in the new game she at least wore something realistic. This isn't realistic at all.

I don't know that I'd have quite such a reaction, but I agree this is kinda shameless. I love attractive sexy women as much as the next guy, but keep it at least a little realistic, or it actually loses some of the appeal. =P

Comment

Cortana is a nude holographic representation of her creator. I'm mainly talking about the fourth iteration of her design, the one where the chest is very visibly larger than the others, where she is more shapely, etc. And for God's sake, they even gave her a bellybutton for no reason. She goes from a flat chested almost male looking character to what you see in Halo 4, which is absurd.

This guy has no room at all to bitch about another game's design choices when a game he has at least some hand in does the same, if not worse. Especially when the model for Quiet even said that the reason for her look will be revealed during the game, which nobody has even played yet and yet there's that guy running his mouth off.

Comment

Did he created Cortana's design, or had a voice over it? Did he started working at Bungie before the design was set on stone or after? or do we know if he actually complained inside the studio about it? It would help to know these answers, but he has 100% the right to complain (or praise) both designs, as everybody else.

The 4th Cortana's design is very sexualized and makes no sense compared with the old designs, but the MGS one is awful as well, no matter the context. You can't deny that. A reason I can imagine for that in the game is that she has some kind of superpower that needs permanent sun exposure (hah), but no matter the real reason, it doesn't make the character any better, it only makes it look absurd.

Comment

If i was running around the desert shown in the trailer, i'd probably die before getting to strip off all my clothes in a heat fuelled frenzy.

I feel like that render doesn't help her case, when you see her in the trailer wearing the same clothes, it's not as in your face as a still picture of her standing in a sexy pose with a spotlight on her.
          It's just kinda the MGS style, every boss in 4 writhed around in a tight suit covered in goo moaning and screaming when you defeat them.

I don't feel empowered enough to argue against the brain of Kojima.

Comment

Originally posted by kanaka View Post
            Did he created Cortana's design, or had a voice over it? Did he started working at Bungie before the design was set on stone or after? or do we know if he actually complained inside the studio about it? It would help to know these answers, but he has 100% the right to complain (or praise) both designs, as everybody else.

The 4th Cortana's design is very sexualized and makes no sense compared with the old designs, but the MGS one is awful as well, no matter the context. You can't deny that. A reason I can imagine for that in the game is that she has some kind of superpower that needs permanent sun exposure (hah), but no matter the real reason, it doesn't make the character any better, it only makes it look absurd.
            He works for a company that has done the same thing he's complaining about. He's a hypocrite if he continues to work for them and not voice any issue about the design of the model his own company had a hand in creating, plain and simple. So yeah, let him complain all he wants, he'll just remain a hypocrite while doing so and still being employed there.

And yeah, Quiet does look a bit absurd but I guess full judgement from everyone will probably have to wait until the game is out and we find out the reasons (or lack thereof) for the design choice.

Comment

I like how he posted this tweet on the same day:
              [tweet]375968532208427008[/tweet]
              Am I the only one who feels that he set himself up for the most obvious reply? I mean, it was only a matter of hours before his tweet made several headlines which are highlighted by Twitter itself (below the tweet under "Related headlines"). I can't imagine how he would expect people to talk about things unrelated to the attention he just created for himself.

Anyways, personally I want to see how the story explains why Quiet is dressed like she is. My first impression of her (lacking any knowledge about her) is almost the same as Gretchen Morgan from Prison Break; unrealistic and unconvincing to be military material. All the more reason why I want to see how Mr. Kojima will tackle the challenge of justifying her look beyond real-life cosplaying and figurine appeal.

Comment

Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and what not. Kojima could probably do with a bit of growing up, though at this point people should know what to expect from him (not the best track record with female characters). He's a (childish) misogynist who makes really fantastic games. Last time I checked "Gone with the Wind" is quite well liked despite being pretty damn racist. :/ Great creators have flaws, some more than others, and often they are reflected in their work. We can enjoy and even celebrate their games/movies/art etc while still recognizing the problems with them.

Comment

Kojima is a misogynist? What makes you think that?

Has everyone forgotten the flamboyancy of Vamp? Has everyone forgotten the entire sequence in MGS2 with Raiden running around nude? Has everyone forgotten how two of the smartest characters in the series were female (Sunny and Naomi)? Has everyone forgotten Meryl that didn't take shit from anyone and is more of a tomboy than someone who exudes sexuality?

And like I said, Kojima already said there's a reason for her appearance.

[tweet]376424191664222208[/tweet]
                  (maybe parody instead of antithesis)
                  [tweet]376424308077109248[/tweet]
                  [tweet]376424398023962624[/tweet]
                  [tweet]376428396244262912[/tweet]
                  [tweet]376428542747090944[/tweet]
                  [tweet]376428621151219712[/tweet]

Comment

I wonder how she got those holes in her stockings?

Click image for larger version

Name:	powersteeth.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3376527

Comment

I wonder how she got those holes in her stockings?

Click image for larger version

Name:	powersteeth.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	3376528

Comment

Originally posted by stilla-killa View Post
                        I wonder how she got those holes in here stockings?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51[/ATTACH]
                        ಠ_ಠ

(obligatory)

Comment

Cortana went from size "A" cups to size double "D's."

God damn.

Comment

The whole thing is BS and people making publicity for themselves.

The easiest thing to do is talk. Its easy to say "this shouldnt be" and "people need to take the high road" and so on, but try doing it without saying anything.

Also, this is nothing new and hasnt been so forever. From all the way back to Duke Nukem and Leisure Suite Larry to today.

I don't get why the model above is so "bad" while all the virtual women in the past was OK. None of it is or all of it is. The thing is though; what is his next game going to have?

I think we already know.
                            Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                            Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I don't think Kojima is much of an outlier in the video games world in terms of his treatment of women characters, but that doesn't mean I think he does a particularly good job of it either (with the possible exception being Meryl). Naomi may have been incredibly intelligent yet she is incapable of buttoning a fucking shirt. I'm sure Kojima will have a reason for Quiet's appearance, although I'm not too optimistic that it'll escape sounding more like a justification. To an extent Kojima is probably less guilty than 343. The world he's created is so over the top and wacky that the hyper-sexualization of many of his female characters is less out of place than it is in a more buttoned-down setting like Halo.

Comment

Working...
                              X