Xbox One Controller to Receive PC Compatibility in 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xbox One Controller to Receive PC Compatibility in 2014

Just as the Xbox 360 controller can play nice with your PC, so will the Xbox One controller. While it won't work right out of the gate on the PC, Microsoft promises that the controller will be PC compatible in 2014.

A Microsoft spokesperson explains why there will be a delay between when the controllers are released with the Xbox One and when they will work for PCs in 2014.
    "As we've stated, the Xbox One controller, although it looks similar in many ways, shares no underlying technology with the current Xbox 360 controller. New wireless protocol, combined with the ability to work in 'wired' mode, and the addition of features like Impulse triggers, means that new software has to be written and optimized for the PC.

"There is also some work that we need to do to make sure that existing PC games that support the Xbox 360 controller, will work with the Xbox One controller. While it seems trivial, it's actually quite a bit of dedicated work for all that to be seamless for the user.

"We know people want to use the Xbox One controller on their PC, and we do too - we expect to have the functionality available in 2014."

That's pretty cool. It seems as though gamers on the PC will have a pair of nice controllers to choose from next year.

(via CVG)

Now let's get them to make that PC guys could use Keyboard and mouse with Xbox, and all be Happy.

Comment

Yeah, I dont get this. I thought you could use your xbox controllers on PC now? Also, you could use keyboard mouse on Xbox now.

I think I would use a controller for flying in BF4 on PC. Easier button action and better joystick response.
      Twitter: @CptainCrunch
      Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Hopefully they mean January 2014 and not December 2014.

I can't really imagine why it would take so long. The One is running W8 isn't it?
        Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

This is good, providing that dpad is good.

Also, can't they just assign the buttons to the same positions as the previous controller, so when windows picks it up as a usb gamepad, it should just work fine?

They probably have to do something over the top though, instead of making a simple controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1 View Post
            ... The One is running W8 isn't it?
            It runs on three different operating systems. All proprietary, though one of the three is based on the Windows kernel and can have Windows apps ported over to work on the console (apps are not compatible until ported, which is supposedly an easy process). The first is for gaming, the second is for general apps (Skype, etc.), and the third is to make the first two play along without suffering an identity crisis.

Comment

Working...
            X