The Reason Why Call of Duty: Ghosts Pre-Orders are 'Well Below' Black Ops 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reason Why Call of Duty: Ghosts Pre-Orders are 'Well Below' Black Ops 2

Are pre-orders for Call of Duty: Ghosts low because fans are starting to wise up to the yearly rehash of the same old formula? Are the fans getting tired of paying $60 plus the cost of multiple DLC releases? Are they getting tired of the Xbox exclusive periods for the DLC releases?

Apparently not if Activision's Eric Hirshberg is to be believed. He says that the reason why pre-orders for Ghosts are below that of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 is because of buyer hesitation over which version to get.
    "As one might expect in this console transition year, pre-orders for Call of Duty: Ghosts are well below the record-setting pace set by Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 last year."

While no figures were disclosed, Hirshberg went on to say the company's "quantitative consumer research" indicates that "hesitation amongst past CoD pre-orderers is primarily due to not knowing which platform they'll be playing on, which is natural at this time in the console transition."

Don't worry though, because pre-orders are reportedly over double those for the first Black Ops. In addition, Activision is readying "the most aggressive marketing, retail, and digital programs in the history of the franchise."

Get ready for a media blitz for Ghosts to be shoved down your throats over and over and over again as the game's release nears! You want next-gen fish AI? You're going to GET next-gen fish AI and they're going to make damn sure you know all about it prior to release! Speaking of which, Ghosts is slated for release on November 5 on the 360, PS3, PC and at a later date for the XBone and PS4.

(via CVG)

Hey! I wrote about this some in a blog writing called "Will Battlefield 4 Beat Out CoD:Ghosts?"

I believe this is the decline of CoD. All Activision focuses on now is TV style blitzes and not the stuff they did for COD4, W@W, and MW2. They made CoD this defacto game to go to when buying an FPS and then rode that wave without doing much else, other than make anyone not own an Xbox feel bad.

This idea that people cannot decide just doesn't pan out. I'm sure there are some that are waiting because of the console change, but I see so many people buy these games for multi-platform I don't buy this story at all. I don't know how many times I have looked at a Battlelog profile and have seen PC, XBox and PS3 soldiers for one person. The other day I was looking at one and they had a PC and TWO Xbox names. All being used.

What I think is going to happen is it is not going to break the last record, but the sites Activision has paid off will say it did. Then through various means we will find out that is not true. We may get some news that people are waiting for Christmas and so on.

We will see though.

I loved the picture, btw
    Twitter: @CptainCrunch
    Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

I can't decide either - if I bought it would it bore me silly in one month, or two? Still not sure.

Comment

I don't usually pre order until alot closer to release, but i can confirm as a CoD fan on 360 i'm not sure i want Ghosts on it, might get the PC version but then i might want to wait till after release to ensure it's a good port.

I'm sure the 360 version will be a good one, i'm just leaning into PC more right now.

Comment

I haven't heard any details about storyline or multiplayer. So far all I've heard is that it's another CoD game. Battlefield 4, for instance, announcing all these details about 'levelation' and 'counter-knife' and 'battlelog on tablets' and stuff. CoD, haven't heard a thing. They expect me to preorder just because they announce they're making another CoD game? That's pretty arrogant...

Comment

Originally posted by Thortok2000 View Post
            I haven't heard any details about storyline or multiplayer. So far all I've heard is that it's another CoD game. Battlefield 4, for instance, announcing all these details about 'levelation' and 'counter-knife' and 'battlelog on tablets' and stuff. CoD, haven't heard a thing. They expect me to preorder just because they announce they're making another CoD game? That's pretty arrogant...
            With you there. I've heard almost nothing about this game. While I don't usually follow the CoD games like I do other games like Battlefield, I still frequent gaming news sites enough that I should be picking up information. But I really haven't. Their performance at E3 was irrelevant as games like BF4 completely stole the show. The only thing I can attribute to Ghosts is "fish AI", and that's from all the people making fun of the game on Reddit.

I feel like Activision has decided they don't need to waste time advertising the game and it will sell itself. And that's probably correct, to be honest. But I also think that especially with BF4 looking to be a great game on next gen consoles, CoD is finally in decline. Which disappoints me a little bit, because now I worry about what game will be the "next CoD", and I think it will be Battlefield...
            Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1 View Post
              With you there. I've heard almost nothing about this game. While I don't usually follow the CoD games like I do other games like Battlefield, I still frequent gaming news sites enough that I should be picking up information. But I really haven't. Their performance at E3 was irrelevant as games like BF4 completely stole the show. The only thing I can attribute to Ghosts is "fish AI", and that's from all the people making fun of the game on Reddit.

I feel like Activision has decided they don't need to waste time advertising the game and it will sell itself. And that's probably correct, to be honest. But I also think that especially with BF4 looking to be a great game on next gen consoles, CoD is finally in decline. Which disappoints me a little bit, because now I worry about what game will be the "next CoD", and I think it will be Battlefield...
              Right, exactly. Activision made this huge wave with the first three titles and are now riding that wave out.

I dont know if Battlefield will be the "next CoD" or not. All the ideas the BF community keeps saying they want added would turn it that way, but on the flip side DICE usually does an OK job not being persuaded to do that. Not always, but some.

Of course, some will argue that BF3 was an utter failure and a CoD hash money grab, but those are just 2.5ers talking most the time.

Then again, I am now labeled a fan boy, so what do I know? I drank the kool aid
              Twitter: @CptainCrunch
              Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

Originally posted by Thortok2000 View Post
                I haven't heard any details about storyline or multiplayer. So far all I've heard is that it's another CoD game... They expect me to preorder just because they announce they're making another CoD game?...
                Motion captured and realistically modelled dog, engine tech capable of converting low polygon models to high-poly, engine tech using multiple suns to simulate dynamic lighting, and Anarchy1's and Zips' aforementioned advanced fish AI.

As for storyline? You'll love the dog as man's best friend, you will fight underwater using APS rifles, and it's not another Modern Warfare title. Multiplayer? We'll find out when the multiplayer event happens on August 14th, so while they announced pre-order sales before the event happens, they do expect you to preorder when you find out what the multiplayer features are (although reliance on brand-name is the other half of their sales pitch).

Personally I'm more interested in Call of Duty's storyline than Battlefield 4's. Battlefield 4 doesn't give any opportunities to make parody Twitter accounts. How does one top a tweet about a dog mistakenly fetching a flashbang? BF4 female soldier tweet complaining about her obvious future death upon reading the script ahead of time?

Comment

Originally posted by CptainCrunch View Post
                  Right, exactly. Activision made this huge wave with the first three titles and are now riding that wave out.

I dont know if Battlefield will be the "next CoD" or not. All the ideas the BF community keeps saying they want added would turn it that way, but on the flip side DICE usually does an OK job not being persuaded to do that. Not always, but some.

Of course, some will argue that BF3 was an utter failure and a CoD hash money grab, but those are just 2.5ers talking most the time.

Then again, I am now labeled a fan boy, so what do I know? I drank the kool aid
                  Its not so bad, you could be stupidly optimistic.

Comment

Working...
                  X