Microsoft Completely Reverses Xbox One DRM Policies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Completely Reverses Xbox One DRM Policies

Well, this is huge news here. Microsoft has completely reversed their insane DRM policies they had set in place (and even provided an FAQ for) for the Xbox One.

Microsoft's Don Mattrick makes note of the following changes on the official Xbox website.
    An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

Their sources don't make it clear what led to the change in these policies following E3, but it may be a safe assumption that the PlayStation 4 policies and severe negative public backlash against the Xbox One had a lot to do with it. They say simply that they have "been closely listening to consumer feedback."

This follow weeks and months of constant justification from Microsoft employees for their DRM policies.

Reminds me of when Battle.net's policies were going to show your real name on the forums instead of username.

Sometimes they need to do better market research.

Comment

I expected this to happen one day but I was expecting it after the console launched.

Comment

And I had just bought an Xbox 360 so I could play offline! Damn you Mattrick, now I have to buy an Xbox One too!
        Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

I was hoping to see sales numbers reflect these bad policies to give businessmen evidence of their failure, but this will do i suppose.

Comment

I honestly thought they would stick to it, but the internet's rancor proved too strong.

Comment

Well, I think this 360 shows that they are aware of their failure. How much money will it cost them to completely backtrack on their DRM? They've seen the Amazon polls and pre-order totals, and they clearly know they made a mistake.
              Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

They got owned and had to eat it, I hope this sets back their launch date and everyone buys a ps4 anyway and they get owned again just for trying to be that greedy/dumb

Comment

What the ****?... Hmm... Perhaps the U.S. military got through to Microsoft? Naaaah... That's a coincidential naive speculation. Still, I do wonder what finally got through to them after holding their ground for so long? Was it really as simple as consumer pressure? Furthermore, with the technology already in-place, is Microsoft waiting for a better time to re-implement their original policy? Well, least GameStop isn't entirely screwed, so I guess they're cracking the champagne bottles now.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy1
                    Well, I think this 360 shows that they are aware of their failure.
                    Heh I geddit.

Comment

Originally posted by K-16 View Post
                      Still, I do wonder what finally got through to them after holding their ground for so long?
                      Hard, cold, raw numbers. Any large public corporation base its decisions on data and statistics. Also everything is about how much money they can generate. If something can be used for that purpose, they will use it. That's what Sony did. Microsoft probably saw the preorder numbers and got worried.

Comment

I still wouldnt trust them.

"No DRM stuff....until the patch. MUUUAAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahaha!"
                        Twitter: @CptainCrunch
                        Battlelog/Origin: CptainCrunch

Comment

If Microsoft made a car... (Google that phrase by the way) ... "People would get excited about the "new" features in Microsoft cars, forgetting completely that they had been available in other brands for years" seems to be most applicable.

Comment

Originally posted by kanaka View Post
                            Hard, cold, raw numbers. Any large public corporation base its decisions on data and statistics... Microsoft probably saw the preorder numbers and got worried.
                            According to GameStop and Amazon UK, Xbox One preorders are doing just fine. I'm not sure their data and statistics to change their foundational policies are coming from that.

Comment

It's not as though those retailers are going to say otherwise, now are they? The one article also says they were only allocated 16 XBones compared to the 60 PS4s. It really doesn't take much to spin it and say they hit the pre-order cap when they were given so few consoles to sell in the first place. As for the Amazon article, is that 2.3% difference in units sold or total cost? Because if it's total cost, it really diminishes that very vague factoid given the $100 difference in price.

And then there's:
                              It seems to have become a cliché across the internet to denounce any polls between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4, as well as pre-order listings. Why? Because word around the digital block is t

With nearly 95% of the vote Amazon has decided to end the user poll between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 early. Back on June 13th the marketplace giant ran a Facebook poll to see which one consumers

GameSpot is the world's largest source for PS4, Xbox One, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS Vita, Wii PC, 3DS, PSP, DS, video game news, reviews, previews, trailers, walkthroughs, and more.

An informal poll on Rooster Teeth's forums show the PS4 at 75% to 25% for the XBone.

And well, the list goes on.

So yes, I'm sure it's "doing just fine" in selling out of those very limited number of units they have and retailers sure as hell aren't going to dissuade customers from handing over their cash by saying anything negative about any product. But when you see the tech savy and group of gamers that actively pay attention to what's going on, it's overwhelmingly in favor of the PS4.

Plus, I'm sure the XBone will do just fine from those kids looking for a continued Call of Duty fix or Halo fix and have zero idea about what the new consoles can do outside of "it looks better and it's new, gotta get it, mom!"

Comment

Working...
                              X