Ouya Kickstarter Raises Over $8.5 Million in Pledges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouya Kickstarter Raises Over $8.5 Million in Pledges

Coming to a close just a short time ago, the Kickstarter for the Ouya console topped out at $8,588,030 in promised pledge funding. Wanting just $950,000 for funding from Kickstarter, to say that they smashed their goal might be a bit of an understatement.

Ouya promises to be an open playing field for people looking for an Android based gaming console. With funding in place, early developer editions are slated to start going out this December, with a majority of consumers slated to start getting their consoles in March 2013.

CEO Julie Uhrman says that the team has been "blown away the whole time" the Kickstarter was going on. She continues, "people are ready for something new, and Ouya is that thing." During its 29 day Kickstarter run, Ouya has picked up the support of companies such as Robotoki, Namco and Square Enix. Indie developers have also voiced their support as have various multimedia companies including OnLive.

(via Joystiq)

Re: Ouya Kickstarter Raises Over $8.5 Million in Pledges

So much potential and yet so much risk at the same time..don't know what this gonna lead for the future of gaming development and gamers behavior to this kind of console and games that comes with it..but i'm looking foward to see further development from this home console

Comment

The problem I have been hearing is that people have been overestimating it. They think its something that can play Next gen PS(4?) xbox(?) (still refusing to call it the 720. IMO not even microsoft is that dumb, maybe the xbox 3, with the "3" being half of the Windows 8 logo's "8", but that is as much specualtion as it... but I digress) or games like Battlefield, skyrim or CoD, but the fact remains its just a slightly more powerful tablet adapter (with the tablet IN the adapter).

Comment

But how do they monetize? you buy the console and that's it? all games are free?

Comment

Originally posted by 5t3v0
          The problem I have been hearing is that people have been overestimating it. They think its something that can play Next gen PS(4?) xbox(?) (still refusing to call it the 720. IMO not even microsoft is that dumb, maybe the xbox 3, with the "3" being half of the Windows 8 logo's "8", but that is as much specualtion as it... but I digress) or games like Battlefield, skyrim or CoD, but the fact remains its just a slightly more powerful tablet adapter (with the tablet IN the adapter).
          "OUYA is a new kind of game console for the TV that upends the console market by bringing the openness of mobile and Internet platforms to console games for the first time. Built on Android, OUYA is affordable andopen, but still powerful. For gamers, Ouya provides an alternative to traditional consoles, with great games—all of which are free to play. For developers OUYA has removed many of the barriers associated with publishing games to consoles, making it easier than ever before to bring creative concepts to life on the TV."

Did you heard about the partnership between ouya and OnLive? i believe most of the games from next gen are gonna be played like a stream. not sure how this is gonna be free but i believe that to provide a good price you don't need to build an expensive console, but a stable one to do this kind of things. One good thing i can say yet is that ouya is gonna support indie games and that sounds good so far.

Comment

[QUOTE=emagut;3277576]"OUYA is a new kind of game console for the TV that upends the console market by bringing the openness of mobile and Internet platforms to console games for the first time. Built on Android, OUYA is affordable andopen, but still powerful. For gamers, Ouya provides an alternative to traditional consoles, with great games—all of which are free to play. For developers OUYA has removed many of the barriers associated with publishing games to consoles, making it easier than ever before to bring creative concepts to life on the TV."

Did you heard about the partnership between ouya and OnLive? i believe most of the games from next gen are gonna be played like a stream. not sure how this is gonna be free but i believe that to provide a good price you don't need to build an expensive console, but a stable one to do this kind of things. One good thing i can say yet is that ouya is gonna support indie games and that sounds good so far.[/QUOTE

when they say "Powerful", they may mean Android "Powerful". There is no real definition of Powerful, so they can put whatever they want in its description. Well the onlive thing may be a reason, but the devs would have to allow it of course. but even then, Cloud gaming (something that I don't really agree with. I libertarianly love having control over my own system, and no big companeh is gunnah tell me what to do!) is still not perfected at this point to allow it worldwide. And as you said, "Free to play". Thats another point of confusion.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not a very big fan of cloud gaming either

Comment

What I'm wondering is, will this harm Wii U sales in any way? Isn't the Wii U also supporting Android apps at launch? And second of all, will OnLive continue providing their own client machine/whatever the heck that black thing is?

Comment

Looks interesting, will keep en eye on it.I wonder what the price will be and which retailers they will use.

Comment

Working...
                  X