PC Game Sales Up 230%; Console Game Sales Down 28%

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Game Sales Up 230%; Console Game Sales Down 28%

Compared to last year during the same span of time, it was revealed that the sale of PC games has seen an increase of 230%. During that same time, console game sales have gone down 28%. These figures are pulled from the latest NPD offerings, and of course, may not include digital sales made on either the PC or consoles.

The gaming world is changing again as according to industry analyst NPD Group, sales of video-game consoles (Xbox, PS3, Wii), software and even accessories fell for a sixth consecutive month in May, tumbling 28% from a year earlier to $517 million. With the release of Diablo III, May saw the first time since July 2010 that the top-selling game was a PC-only title. That boosted PC video games sales up year-over-year to 230% or $80 million.

The news may not always stay so positive, however. Unreal Engine 4 is just around the corner. With the release of UE4, it's also expected we'll see PC gamers having to upgrade components while console gamers move on to the next-generation Xbox or PlayStation 4.

(via)

Re: PC Game Sales Up 230%; Console Game Sales Down 28%

Does this means games in the future will see more support for the pc???

Comment

owned

I don't mind upgrading my PC (I am sure others do) given that my PC has lasted a very long time

I plan to buy a new one when the Intel Haswell chips arrive, hopefully in time to marvel at the glory of RTW2

Comment

Re: PC Game Sales Up 230%; Console Game Sales Down 28%

Originally posted by jimykx
        Does this means games in the future will see more support for the pc???
        Probably not. There is still a difference of $450 million in total sales. Console games are bringing in more money.
        Battlelog/Origin ID - Hurricane043

Comment

As Anarchy1 has pointed out, we can't compare PC games to console games as their sales data is only comparing to their respective past performances. In other words, the platforms are using different scalings. As examples, selling 230 games instead of 100 would give 230%, while selling 100,000 instead of 128,000 would give about -28%. In the end, the different scalings do not necessarily mean the PC market is doing better than the console market. Anyways, this was only meant to inform those who were considering in participating in a console war debate. The news post is very informative as I believe that is the original intent of the article Good to see Blizzard doing well, as much as I detest Activision.

Comment

Working...
          X