Blizzard Cutting 600 Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blizzard Cutting 600 Jobs

Blizzard has announced their plans to cut roughly 600 jobs from operations around the world. The move is being done to move its workforce closer to "current organizational needs." Though they say that current release schedules for their products won't be affected, roughly 10% of those being let go have at least something to do with development.

Estimates place Blizzard's current work force at roughly 6,000 employees. The last real figures came in December 2010 at roughly 5,600 people being under employment at Blizzard.

"Constant evaluation of teams and processes is necessary for the long-term health of any business," Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime said in the announcement. "Over the last several years, we've grown our organization tremendously and made large investments in our infrastructure in order to better serve our global community. However, as Blizzard and the industry have evolved we've also had to make some difficult decisions in order to address the changing needs of our company."

"Knowing that, it still does not make letting go of some of our team members any easier. We're grateful to have had the opportunity to work with the people impacted by today's announcement, we're proud of the contributions they made here at Blizzard, and we wish them well as they move forward."

It's really interesting to note that despite these layoffs, Blizzard is still hiring for a good number of development positions. This news also comes a couple of months after it was revealed that World of Warcraft is losing subscribers left and right, and also after the fact that Blizzard has decided not to have a BlizzCon this year.

Re: Blizzard Cutting 600 Jobs

To me it translates as " We are losing income from wow!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jimykx
      To me it translates as " We are losing income from wow!!!"
      But they're a part of Activision... you would think the moneyhats they're getting from Call of Duty would more than make up for it.

Comment

This announcement gave me quite the suckerpunch; I really did not see this one coming. Did putting kung-fu pandas into World of Warcraft really cause that much financial damage?

Comment

No Blizzcon are you kidding me this sucks now I have nothing to look forward to. Hopefully this won't stop D3 dev. and push it back another year... FFS if they release the game they'll make money once again... WoW has been beaten into the ground to be honest.

Comment

Yeah, let's all not care about 600 people losing their jobs as long as we get games on time...

Comment

Originally posted by [MyIS]Zips
              But they're a part of Activision... you would think the moneyhats they're getting from Call of Duty would more than make up for it.
              Well you know how it is with activision, if you're not pulling your weight (as in, only making $millions instead of $10's millions) you're out. Look at the Guitar hero franchise, for instance.

Comment

Thank god I'm not in the video game industry.

Comment

Working...
                X